AAR Central?

Should this Folder become a "Central AAR Station"?

• Total voters

Klaus Fischer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Should this folder be a "AAR Central"?

If so, how about a topic "naming Convention" i.e. Number, Name (ATF2, One Eye To The West)?

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
And I vote no! :)

Which I think deserves some sort of explanation. Basically, I think it's a worthy idea, but I think that it could be better done elsewhere. With the number of AARs out there, it's helpful to have some sort of search function based on both scenario code and title (like the SoCal site). I don't think that the forum format facilitates that.

To be honest, I'd rather see it linked in to ROAR or the MMP sites.

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I don't think that the forum format facilitates that.
Actually, you can search the forums. You can search a specific forum (like the AAR one) by name, looking through the titles and/or the messages. The results can be sorted by date, author, title, etc.

The big advantage to putting AARs in the forums is the discussion. An AAR can be discussed and commented on, which is really what AARs are about, really. Other players can add their input, pointing out good moves and mistakes, hopefully improving your game.

Something that I obviously, desperately need. :)

I took a look at the Socal ASL AAR site, and while the formating of the AARs are far superior to what can be acheived in the Forums, the searching capabilities aren't as good as the forums', and there's no specific AAR discussion area (at least not that I could find).

Of course, the other option is to enter the AAR on SoCal's site, then cross link it here for comment. That way, you get searching and commenting with SoCal's formatting. The best of both worlds.

Just my $0.02.

Nat

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why not put the AARs in multiple places?

Why not put AARs in multiple places. Do we need to ask authors to crosspost AARs to other sites?

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
Sorry Nat, I completely missed your reply. If that's the case (I haven't tried it yet), then I have no real objections :oops:

Posting in multiple locations is easy enough if you know where they are, but not necessarily easy to find them. When I next write an AAR it will be posted here, to the Warfare HQ site, to SoCal, and to the ASLML. That should cover most bases. But I think what people really want is a central repository of AARs so that they can go to one place and find them all, wherever they are posted.

Nat Mallet

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Actually what I had in mind is that the AARs are posted on the SoCal (or whatever other site), and then someone could just post the link here. That way, you'd have one site with nicely formatted AARs, but they could be discussed here, or any other site with a discussion board.

Just an idea.

Nat

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a centralized newsgroup idea...

It's in the general group.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I dont like the socal site. Its so hard to find anything there.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the SoCal site is extraordinarily difficult to navigate. This has been brought to their attention in the past.

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
socal site

Hmmm, I would say getting across Dartmoor at night without a compass is 'extraordinarily difficult to navigate'. The Socal site seems pretty straightforward to me. JMHO

SoCal Webmaster

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
socal site

Hey all,

Just a quick FYI, I have made a minor adjustment that will hopefully make things easier for people navigating the socalasl.com website. Since the site is made up of 3 main sections (club stuff, scenarios, and resources) we have made a tab image to show this break better.

If you can think of ways that would make it even better, I am all ears. I can't promise that I can implement all of your ideas, but I will see what I can do.

Also, in regards to the AAR's, I am glad to see people posting and reading them. That is what it was created for. And as above, if you want to search in a different way or have an idea to make the AAR section even better, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

-Paul
webmaster@socalasl.com

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Crossposting AARs from Socasl site.

Hi There,

What's your opinion of allowing us take AARs from your site and post them here as well? A bad thing?

SoCal Webmaster

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Crossposting AARs from Socasl site.

Andy said:
Hi There,

What's your opinion of allowing us take AARs from your site and post them here as well? A bad thing?
Sorry for the delay. I don't check the ASL Forums too often. In regards to your question, they are not my AAR's, I'm just housing them. The majority of the AARs were from Coastal Fortress before they closed shop. I don't recall what they requested but I could check.

In principle, I don't like seeing duplications of effort. If there are ways I can make it easier for people to use, I will do what I can. It appears that I can easily link to the discussions here in the forums and I can give people the http line to link to the AAR's on the socalasl site. This would allow people to quickly jump between websites and go to exactly what they are looking for.

Any thoughts on this?
- Paul

andy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Good point: Put the links and discussion in the forum.

Hi!

Yes, I like that. The link to the AAR here in the forum, the actual AAR hosted at socasl. Then we could comment. Do those socasl AARs have the ability to attach files (VASL map snapshots and VASL logfiles)?

-A picture is worth 1000 words. Esp. some of the very fine rules examples pryoung has done here for the forum and on his website.

-I'd also like to see some "series replay" journal style AARs, recognizing that these take a long time to prepare. This can be hard for non-VASL games, but with digital photos of the board after each turn or maybe a duct taped camcorder on the ceiling above the board one could write the whole thing up with VASL later.

-This would be neat for the tournament final games.

-I like the idea of being able to open a file with a series replay of a famous tournament win. Much like chess and bridge players reading about famous matches in the newspaper or books.

-The added advantage of this fairly exhaustive series replay is that the rules lawyers can point out where we committed rules errors and help us better learn portions of the game.

Darkman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AAR's, ROAR, format

It strikes me the best (if available) answer is to make this the official site to post AAR's. But this site would need to provide a premade format that would give the AAR's uniformity. Which makes them more useful for searching and evaluating.

And have a link from the ROAR site to the AAR's for a particular scenario.

Those combined would make AARs really helpful for deciding if you want to try a scenario and what to expect in the play of a scenario.

Having MMP support this idea would also make the AAR's here have more status.

Larry Memmott

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AARs on the ASLWebDex

You might be interested in checking out the WebDex for AARs. The WebDex attempts to index all AARs, scenario analyses, and other scenario information on the net and in print publications. The indexing of aars on the net is pretty much complete, and indexing of print publications is advanced, though not complete (and probably never will be). Other information is provided for many scenarios, including up-to-date errata (where available), scenario source, designer's notes available, etc.

If you send me a copy of your AAR, I will put it up on the WebDex.

On the WebDex in general, you can find an index to all ASL resources on the net, as well as many in print publications. Take a look at www.aslwebdex.net.

Larry