AAR - By Fire And Flame - OzB3

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I took a break from reading gambling books to determine how card counting could help my OBA chances. Played By Fire and Flame from Ozerekya Breakout with Jim Thompson. He chose to defend as the Russians.

VC is control of one large wooden building, with two fortified locations and a 45L AT to help. Rumanians have a bunch of 537s with 3(!) flamethrowers, 6(!) demo charges, and 2 Marters.

I ran a HS up to a building on the right, thinking they were dummies. They weren't.
?
Other squads jumped behind a hedge to assault that building. My Marters charged up the right flank buttoned up, and took up positions hull down behind the wall behind the victory building. The rest of my troops ran up to where they could advance concealed and be across the street from the victory building.

His 45L pops out, but is facing the wrong way to deal with the Marters. He turns it around and starts blasting. He actually gets rate, then a hit, but it bounces.

I burn out one flamethrower on its first shot.

Russian turn 1, after multiple shots, he hits and burns the Marter. He gets a 2 MC on the crew of the other Marter, but they pass. He breaks two of his LMGs.

My defensive fire, I break the gun crew, the squad in the building on the right, and two other squads and a leader. The squad on the right is forced to surrender.

Rumanian turn 2, he rallies both the broken leader and one squad under DM. He then rolls a 12 trying to rally the other squad. My Prep Fire breaks the newly rallied troops again, and kills the crew. Two hits from the Marter break several other squads. One of his squads goes Berserk. I charge forward with my giant DC and FT stacks, his return fire does nothing, and he calls the game before we can even do my advancing fire. Which would have been ugly, because I had two FT shots on a stack of broken guys.

When he called it, after less than 1-1/2 turns, he only had two unbroken squads left in the victory building. One of these was Berserk, and was going to have to charge across open ground against two 537s. He had a MMG squad with a 9-1 across the street, but they were about to be upper level encircled, and had no way to get back to the victory building. I was about to capture his abandoned AT gun.

I had good luck with the one Marter, who passed a 2MC, 1MC, and normal MC, and got 3 hits without losing HE. I had bad luck losing the one FT right away. The game ended before I could use any DCs. Jim's shooting was terrible, with lots of 10s and 11s, but he did nail a HD Marter, pass a bunch of MCs, and rally the two DMed units. So I don't believe that my stunning victory was just due to dice.

The scenario is fairly even on ROAR, but we felt that this was way pro-Rumanian. As Jim said, "What good are fortified hexes against flamethrowers?" Three flamethrowers is A LOT in a small scenario. The Rumanian ability to be concealed with flamethrowers across the street from the victory building at the end of their first turn does not help.