AAR - Buying Time with Blood (Korea) Spoiler

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SPOILER PAST THE 1ST POST!

BUYING TIME WITH BLOOD
(#1 in Wild Bill Wilder's SPWAW Korea Series)

NK Assault vs. US Army Defend
Near Osan, South Korea
0900, July 5, 1950
Turns: 18
Scenario Size: Medium
Scenario Designer: Wild Bill Wilder
Version: SPWAW 8.3

Designer Notes: What is presented here is a partial recreation of the first fight between US and North Korean forces north of Osan, North Korea. The focus is primarily on Company B and the forward guns of the artillery battery in support.

Your Orders: Colonel Smith, We've given you all we could to hold the enemy. Your orders are to prevent the enemy from making a breakthrough to the south. Forward units of the NKPA 4th Division, with tank support, are on their way. General MacArthur feels sure that you and your men can get the job done. He is counting on you.

I know you are low on ammo, especially for your mortars and heat rounds for your artillery. You have good defensive positions. Every minute you gain for us gives us time for stronger resistance south of you.

Historical background: Among the first American forces to arrive in Korea was a specially prepared task force under Colonel "Brad" Smith. Men of the 24th Division and a battery of the 52nd FAB were under his command.

Right after arriving, he was sent immediately to an area north of Osan. Here he was to prepare defenses and hold back the surging North Koreans to buy time for the UN troops on the way.

With heat round for only one artillery piece, a couple of recoilless rifles and a few antiquated 2.36 bazookas, Smith prepared as best he could.

As the day awakened to a somber gray rainy sky, the rumble of tank engines in the distance indicated that the enemy was on the way. Thirty-three Soviet made T-34 tanks rumbled by them and out of sight to the south. His anti-tank weapons were no match for the Soviet made armor.

Right behind the tanks came North Korean infantry, some of it motorized. Smith soon recognized his position as untenable as one battalion attempted to hold off two North Korean regiments.

He tried to order a cohesive retreat but it soon turned into a nightmare of American retreating in every direction, leaving the larger weapons and trying to escape with their lives. It was a bitter awakening to the fact that the US forces had a long way to go to be able to fight and win in this desolate country.

Sources:
The Forgotten War, Blair
The Pusan Perimeter, Hoyt
Korea War Order of Battle, Rottman
The Military History of the Korean War, SLA Marshall
Conflict, The History of the Korean War, Leckie
The Pusan Perimeter, Hoyt

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 1-3 (Spoiler Warning)

Pre-Turn 1
Volley after volley of North Korean 76.2mm Artillery falls on the right side of our defensive positions. (Note: The left edge of the Map is South!!). It is 9:00 AM and raining, visibility is limited to about 700 meters.

Turn 1 (09:00 AM)
Contact! 2 NK T-34/85's appear out of the mist 700 meters away on the Taejon-Osan Highway headed toward the our positions. LTC Smith knowing our AT assets are no match for the rugged Soviet tanks radio's all units "Seek cover, do not fire unless fired upon or enemy units come within 150 meters of your positions". A follow up message to his guns and mortars orders them to load all tubes with HE and wait further instructions. With limited ammunition, every round will have to count.

Turn 2 (09:05 AM)

3 more NK T-34/85's now rumble into view. At least 3 of them are now within 250 meters of our forwardmost outposts. The NK artillery seems to have halted their barrages for now but this is probably only the quiet before the coming storm. All Bazooka's and Recoiless Rifles are ordered NOT to fire and risk drawing the enemy armor's attention unless the tanks are moving to engage them.

Turn 3 (09:10 AM)

There are now at least 15 NK T-34/85's coming South down the highway and advancing on our positions. Since the highway runs through the center of our lines and it appears the armor is interested in racing South LTC Smith gives the order to allow all enemy armor to pass unmolested. Maybe the enemy will pass us by this morning?

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 4-9 (Spoiler Warning)

Turn 4 (09:15 AM)
The # of NK T-34/85's now stands at 20. Seeing a group of enemy tanks starting to bunch up along a curve in the highway LTC Smith orders a lone 105mm FH Battery situated in the rear to fire a volley using only 2 of 4 tubes.

Turn 5 (09:20 AM)
A barrage of US 105mm rounds arrive on target at the curve in the road causing many NK T-34/85's to button up and spread out. Although thankfully several NK T-34/85's exit the battlefield to the South, at least 6 more arrive from the North to take their place. To make matters worse NK Infantryman begin arriving on the field.

Turn 6 (09:25 AM)
The NK Infantry continues to close on our frontline positions but still LTC Smith refuses to give the order to fire. No need in creating a disturbance until all the NK T-34/85's have left the field. With the tanks gone this will leave the US Infantry on more equal terms with the NK Infantry.

Turn 7 (09:30 AM)

Finally the order to fire is given! Although numerous Bazooka rounds slam into at least 4 T-34/85's only 1 burst into flames. Hopefully they will continue on out of the killZone without returning fire. Meanwhile, the 30cal MMG's open up on the advancing NK Infantry killing about 10 of them. LTC orders the Artillery to fire another volley, this time on the advancing NK Infantrymen.

Turn 8 (09:35 AM)
All Hell has broken loose! The 30cal MMG's continue to spray the NK Infantry killing another 30-40. In addition, several 105mm rounds land on target killing another 15-20 NK Infantrymen. Soon the riflemen join in causing about 15 NK casualties. In the NK return fire 2 GI's are killed.

Turn 9 (09:40 AM)
The front quickly erupts in gunfire from both sides much of it at less than 150 meters in range. More NK Infanrymen arrive on the field, possibly 2 Battalions and they continue to fall under a hail of fire from the GI's. In the far South, a lone T-34/85 previously imobilized, continues to fight off AT fire from all sides as shells from both Bazookas and Recoilless Rifles bounce off her thick armor. The GI's are quickly running out of ways to kill it and it has begun to return fire from its 85mm Main Gun.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 10-12 (Spoiler Warning)

Turn 10 (09:45 AM)
Finally, the attached 4.2in Mortars begin to engage the enemy Infantry and within minutes they kill or wound at least 20 NK soldiers. On the left flank, 2nd Platoon has eliminated all advancing NK soldiers and the 2 attached 105mm Howitzers begin firing point blank in support of the troops on right flank. Meanwhile, on the right flank, the North Koreans are quickly closing in on the US lines. In both 1st and 3rd platoon Outposts all movement has ceased and the men are feared lost. US Riflemen fire volley after volley into the advancing NK troops in an effort to slow them down. It seems for every one that falls 2 more take up the attack.

In the South, the immobilized T-34/85 in now firing back across the US lines and into the right flank. As the remaining 4 Recoilless Rifle shells bounce of the T-34/85 it looks like the only way it will be taken is by close assault! A few minutes later the attached artillery pieces go silent as all HE ammo has been expended.

Turn 11 (09:50 AM)
Both sides continue to trade gunfire as the NK soldiers continue closing the distance to the American lines. With all their rounds now expended the American artillerymen take up their rifles and join the fight. Scores of NK soldiers continue to fall but they press on. In the South, US Bazooka Teams pick up their rifles and grenades and under the cover of the remaining 4.2in smoke rounds charge the immobilized T-35/85. On the left flank the situation appears secure but the right flank is a different matter. Screaming over the radio, LTC Smith urges his men to hold hoping they can hear him over the deafening noise.

Turn 12 (09:55 AM)
It appears the American line can still hold against the NK forces pressing South but with their ammunition almost gone TF Smith may have to break contact to fight another day. At this point, all the 30cal MMG's have run out of ammunition forcing the gunners and loaders to become basic riflemen. It looks like this day will have to be won by the rifle and grenade. During this time, LTC Smith and his command staff are assaulted by a NK Squad which has penetrated the tattered American lines. After a fierce point blank engagement using pistols and hand grenades the NK threat is eliminated.

In the South, as the mayhem at the front continues, former Bazooka Gunner Pvt DiNicola (known by his buddies as "Goblin") closes in on the immobilized T-34/85 from the West. Carefully placing a makeshift grenade bundle againt the turret he runs back into the smoke hoping for the best. Seconds later he is rewarded for his efforts by the sound of a large explosion which forces the crew to abandon the stricken vehicle. Pvt DiNicola will later be awarded the Bronze Star for his actions with TF Smith this day.

Screenshots are of the right and left flanks as well as the adandoned T-34 after being assaulted by Pvt DiNicola.

WildBill Wilder

"The Kunel"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow!

I'm enjoying these immensely, Double D. You have gotten me inspired!

Not to steal anything from your thunder here, magnificent blow by blow report, I just finished testing one of the second series, "Easy to Take, Hard to Keep," dealing with A Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines and the capture of Yongdungp'o.

This was one tough fight, I can tell you that. It hung in the balance from turn 12-22, a real nail biter for me. It was give and take on the objectives over and over again. Each time I retook them I suffered losses.

But we held. The Commies got over the dike a couple of times and tried flanking. The assault teams were a bitter surprise, pounding them with flamethrowers and satchel charges. Wow! What a fight. The smell of cordite is still in the air, along with the screams of men using bayonets on the charges.

I got a marginal victory and was VERY thankful!

Gotta love it!

Keep 'em coming, Mike. It is not wasted effort. I'm enjoying every word and the pics are great.

Wild Bill

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 13-End Game (Spoiler Warning)

Turn 13 (10:00 AM)
The situation appears to be stabilizing. Another 20-25 NK troops are killed with the loss of 0 Americans. LTC Smith has ordered all units who have expended their ammo to fall back out of harms way but keep their bayonets handy.

Turn 14 (10:05 AM)
Things are definately getting quieter althought scattered NK units continue to emerge out the heavy smoke and haze. One of these NK units stumbles across a Bazooka Team with no ammunition and quickly dispatches them at point blank range.

Turn 15 (10:10 AM)
Those Americans lucky enough to still have ammunition continue to pour fire upon any NK forces who show their faces. At least 10 more NK soldiers are reportedly killed. On the left flank the remants of at least 2 NK squads manage to reach the American positions killing a 30cal MMG crew before being killed themselves. LTC Smith orders those units with ammunition to spread out to prevent NK Infantrymen from getting past them and into their rear where the 2 4.2in Mortars are packing up their guns for the eventual order to withdraw.

Turn 16 (10:15 AM)
On the left flank, NK Infantrymen continue to appear out the smoke and drive 2nd Platoon from their entrenchments. Only coordinated rifle fire from the former 105mm Howitzer crews halts the NK advance. In the center, a lone NK truck rumbles down the road headed South only to be set ablaze by members of LTC SMith's staff. It seems like the fighting this morning will never end.

Turn 17 (10:20 AM)
American and NK Infantrymen continue to exchange point blank fire on the left flank resulting in the death of several soldiers on both sides. Other than that, things are seemingly quiet.

Turn 18 (10:25 AM)

The crew of the immobilized T-34/85 has somehow managed to recrew their tank under cover of the dense smoke. With no US troops close enough to engage them the tank can rejoin the fight. The battle is over.

FINAL RESULTS;
US - Decisive Victory 4126 points.
Losses; 48 Men.

North Korean - Crushing Defeat - 643 points.
Losses; 292 Men, 2 Trucks and 1 T-34/85.

WildBill Wilder

"The Kunel"
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great fight and a great description. You reamend 'em a new one. Feels good to rewrite history for the good guys, doesn't it?

Nice job, DD.

WB

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WildBill Wilder said:
Great fight and a great description. You reamend 'em a new one. Feels good to rewrite history for the good guys, doesn't it?
Fortunately my plan worked. I dropped smoke to isolate groups of NK soldiers then hammered them with the MMGs. Of course the 105's firing direct didn't hurt either. :D

NOTE TO OTHERS: Ignore the temptation and leave the tanks alone. Once off the map they can't turn around and come back to help their Infantry. As sson as possible open up on the NK Infantry at max range with the MMG's and Mortars. Don't let them inside your perimeter or you are toast.

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WildBill Wilder said:
Feels good to rewrite history for the good guys, doesn't it?
Yes. While in Germany in the 80's we had drilled into our minds "No more Task Force Smiths!" Of course being a history buff you just know I had to research the source of that phrase. :)

Herman Hum

Composite Warfare Command
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That's a very nice AAR. I haven't played SP before, but reports like these will certainly go a long way to convincing me to join sooner rather than later. :cool:

Double Deuce

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Herman Hum said:
That's a very nice AAR. I haven't played SP before, but reports like these will certainly go a long way to convincing me to join sooner rather than later. :cool:
Thanks! I'm trying to download and go through them before WinSPMBT comes out. I have a feeling once its released I will be doing little else with the exception of my 2 ongoing Combat Campaigns.