AAR Braunschweig 7.1 played under TOAW3.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
This scenario was played to test whether or not the germans has become superstrong in the shift from COW to TOAW3. It was agreed that the germans would not activate the 11th army, and that no attacks were allowed with units below BTN size.

Basic battle plan.
The germans have the intitiative at the beginning and need to achieve a sudden death victory or prepare for a massive counterattack from turn 30+ and onwards. To achieve the sudden death either Baku or Yerevan must be reached and taken. Both cities lies beyond the caucasus range. The soviets gets enormous reinforcements, but mostly to the North of Stalingrad.

I plan to go for the sudden death while simultaneously taking Stalingrad and prepare for the counterattack, should my southern foray fail. The 6th army will go straight for the Don and Stalingrad. 4th PzArmee will advance towards Stalingrad between the Don and Volga rivers. Pz Korps Geyr will advance on Astrakhan reinforced by a single INFDIV.

The remaining forces will head south along the raillines. Once the Kuban river is breached I will split my forces in two and let them proceed down the black sea and caspian coasts respectively. I plan to flank the caucasus at both ends and let my mountain divisions take the passes at Alistrachu and Klukor. I plan to keep a heavy division bac to exploit this opening. Hopefully my two pincers will meet at either yerevan or baku.

Execution.
I plan to advance across a broad front in the north. Enemy resistance will be met head on with plenty of artillery support. Losses will most likely be heavy, but time is of the essence and the further back I can push my opponent the better.

In the south I plan to advance along the roads. Recon units will scout ahead and my heavy units (MtZ and Pz) will only move as far as was scouted the turn before. In this fashion I hope to keep my heavies well fed and ready for decisive action once the MLR(s) is reached and breached. My scouts will probably take losses but that is what they are meant to do. Enemy concentrations will be flanked and surrounded and then dealt with by follow up forces. The flanks will be swept by CAV and miscellaneous units such as FLAK, AT and Minors. Dug in armour will be dislodged by the luftwaffe using direct attacks with Stukas. On turn one and two I will try to confine the red air force to the transcaucasian airfields with lots of airfield attacks. Otherwise I will rest my bombers so that they can be used in the key battles to come. I plan to use the Bomb Stalingrad option to breach the Terek River and take Grozny and, and use Bomb Baku option to take Baku.

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 1-5
I proceed as planned. In the north Nemo decides not to contest east bank of the Don bend, and digs in at the Stalingrad fortress hexes. I push up to the front and probe for weaknesses. N of Stalingrad I almost reach the Volga river. Nemo also decides to maintain an entire army S of the Don at Serafimosvich. Not much traffic from N to S.

In the South I encounter a Soviet Army on the Kuban river. I ford the river E and W of this army and pushes my recon to the foothills of the Caucasus range.

Loss penalty Soviet/axis 187/105

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 6-10

I almost manage to surround Stalingrad. The Army at Serafimovich is engaged and most of its rifle divisions are defeated. The artillery escapes though.

At Astrakhan I encounter a soviet army entrenched on the W bank of Volga. Some skirmishing take place but I do not have an edge here.

In the south the occupation of Krasnodar triggers a few divisions from the Crimea. I push to the outskirts of Tula. The passes at Alistrachu and Klukor are still in soviet hands, but my mountain units have them surrounded and breakout seems imminent. The Terek rives was not held in strength and I was able to cross it with three unblooded heavy divisions. A siege is at hand at Grozny and recon is pushing towards Makachala.

Loss penalty Soviet/axis 641/168

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 11-15
Stalingrad falls and I start to pull back worn out divsions for R&R. I am across the Volga in strength and continue to push E. I have stripped the upper Don of Infantry, and will have to redeploy here soon. I hope the forthcoming Romanian units will come in time. The russians have started a counterattack to the E of Serafimovich butso far it is containable. It seems the 6th Vor Army has activated for the russians. There is still fighting on the Kalmykh steppe as I try to clear the W bank of the Volga.

Astrakhan is a draw so far. I plan to dispathch a PzD, currently resing at Grozny, to deal with the situation here.

In the South Turkey has activated, but I have refrained from pushing them too hrashly as I wish to test the playbalance. The fall of Grozny led to the fall of Makachala on the verynext turn, as a fully rested PzD encircled the town and crushed the defenders. The Caspian coast is now in my possession and I am resting N of Baku while I wait for the arrival of more artillery. The Black sea coast has fallen as well and the forces from my SW pincer has reached and taken Tbilisi. Asthe Turks has entered I will go for Baku as Yerevan seems too easily reached.

Loss penalty Soviet/axis 657/84

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Turn 16-23
The russians keeps pushing across the Don trying to dislodge me. So far I have been able to contain his thrusts with Infantry and Artillery. But as turn 20 rolls around, I am forced to commit some of my heavies as he pushes across the river at Boguchar. His pushes at Stalingrad are easily repulsedso far . I have cleared the W bank of the Volga and after much skirmishing at Astrakhan I have managed to break through and maul his artillery. The newly arrived PzD is pushed across the river N of Astrakhan and the end of russian resistance in this theater seems imminent.

In the South I have encircled Yerevan and almost pushed to the W outskirts of the Baku pocket. A brief insurgency on the Black sea coast has been crushed. As I receive turn 23 the VP counter passes 10000 and the germans wins an OV.
Loss penalty Soviet/axis 1525/139

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Final analysis.

It seems to me that the germans are very strong in this version. Maintaining good supply for the heavies is very profitable. It means spending some time on traffic management but it is time well spent.

There was however a few things working in my favour.

1. The russians did not denfend the E bank of the Don Bend. This allowed me to engage at Stalingrad earlier, and encircle the city before reinforcements arrived.
2. The russians did not dispatch substantial reinforcements to the caucasus. Given the natural obstacles here and the two sudden death cities, this theater should be given top priority.
3. Three soviet armies were caught in unfavorable positions and destroyed. At Serafimovich, on the Kuban river and at Krasnodar and to some extent at Astrakhan, the soviet line were either in front of the river, or had insufficiently anchored flanks, allowing the germans to disrupt and destroy them.
4. Entry of Turkey. This is really is a war winner. I can imagine no situation where the germans gain the turks as allies that do not lead to russian defeat.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I have tried the russians twice in the COW version. I am currently awaiting T02 against Nemo in the TOAW 3 version.

Foggy

Reaction score
I have tried the russians twice in the COW version. I am currently awaiting T02 against Nemo in the TOAW 3 version.
I was wondering how you planned your defensive battles - it's sounds like you
did'nt give poor Nemo a chance at using his reinforcements:bite:
Sorry I know you're waiting for Turn 2 - but how do you figure on the
62/64 armies - if they're not evapped quickly?

Last edited:

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
I was wondering how you planned your defensive battles - it's sounds like you
did'nt give poor Nemo a chance at using his reinforcements:bite:
Sorry I know you're waiting for Turn 2 - but how do you figure on the
62/64 armies - if they're not evapped quickly?
Well 62nd army is glowing hole in the ground. 64th army is at 30% strength.
I plan to conduct a fighting withdrawal using all available units to delay the germans. I will of course try to use the terrain to get maximum ddefensive strength out of my battered riflemen. The DON will be contested, as will every ditch betweem Rostov and Vladivostok. By tuyrn 34 I will reorganize my army in to two fulllstrength companies, and counterattack.:yummy:

That is my battle plan.:D

Foggy

Reaction score
Well 62nd army is glowing hole in the ground. 64th army is at 30% strength.
I plan to conduct a fighting withdrawal using all available units to delay the germans. I will of course try to use the terrain to get maximum ddefensive strength out of my battered riflemen. The DON will be contested, as will every ditch betweem Rostov and Vladivostok. By tuyrn 34 I will reorganize my army in to two fulllstrength companies, and counterattack.:yummy:

That's great - I did have to ask:smoke: It's nice to see you on the defensive
side of TOAW:D

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
Two companies? I feel a pincer attack coming on.

This thread is making me want another Braunschweig game. Haven't played since Foggy and I went at it. Must have been three years ago...

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Two companies? I feel a pincer attack coming on.

This thread is making me want another Braunschweig game. Haven't played since Foggy and I went at it. Must have been three years ago...
Your AAR from back then was one of the things that got me hooked on Braunschweig.

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
By tuyrn 34 I will reorganize my army in to two fulllstrength companies, and counterattack.:yummy:

Hey, we've said no attacks with under Battalion-sized units :laugh:
That said, you'll most probably have to wait for turn 2 - I'll try to squeeze it in tonight before I leave but I can't make any promise. At any rate, I'll do it on January 3rd when I come back and the evenings become quieter again.

rasmus

Reaction score
Country
llDenmark
Hey, we've said no attacks with under Battalion-sized units :laugh:
That said, you'll most probably have to wait for turn 2 - I'll try to squeeze it in tonight before I leave but I can't make any promise. At any rate, I'll do it on January 3rd when I come back and the evenings become quieter again.
No worries. My gaming time is also pretty limited as we will host a little soireé tomorrow for my oldest 3year birthday. Just the closest relatives and friends and their kids (all 14 of them). :violin:

Foggy

Reaction score
No worries. My gaming time is also pretty limited as we will host a little soireé tomorrow for my oldest 3year birthday. Just the closest relatives and friends and their kids (all 14 of them). :violin:
Ahh-torture at it's finest:laugh:Who needs waterboarding when you have children:laugh:

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Lucky man! :D As I have no such celebration on my holiday schedule, I managed to do the turn tonight.