AAR - Belgians And Centurions - RPT168

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
I was recently furloughed due to Corona virus. Well, that, and the fact that I kept wearing a shirt that said ‘FREE HUGS.’

I have been using this break as an opportunity to work on my other interest – offering women free Brazilian waxing. Thus far, business has been slow. But 87 year old Esther Lieberman has come three times.

It’s hard to do anything, because everyone is Kung Flu Fighting.

The governor closed all the schools for the rest of the year.

https://youtu.be/6Oi_nlnhTjM

This may be the opportunity to teach your seven year old ASL. Tell ‘em it’s home schooling.

Walt and I played Belgians And Centurions. I had the Chinese. He had the Belgians, and three Centurions.

Chinese run on, then the UN comes on from the opposite end of the board. Both sides get CVPs. The Chinese, working on their recon, also can get points for running away back from where they came, as long as they have gotten so far down the board into woods or building hexes.

My plan was to try to get everyone far enough down the board quickly, and then try to run away for exit points. With a range of 2, long distance firefights were not gonna be my thing. I also had no good way to deal with the Centurions. One crummy bazooka and a DC were available. I was hoping for ballistas and Greek Fire.

C1 was uneventful, as we charged forward unopposed, liberating a few chickens and a small pig as part of our recon. UN1, Walt brought two of the tanks down the road CE with riders, so they were able to get pretty far forward. Both of these unloaded. The third tank was picking its way between paddies, with a HS rider.

C2, most of my infantry were able to make it to the magical recon line. But one tank blasted a stack with a CH, leaving me with a broken wounded leader and a broken HS left. 3 CVPs to Walt.

On the other side of the board, another snakes, plus another tank hit, mangled another stack. More Chinese bodies.

I lost my dummy stack moving it forward when I forgot that KW woods is only a hindrance.

UN2, I was able to Stun one Centurion. My BAZ crew striped.

C3, the wounded leader comes back, but not the two HSs. My troops start to pull back/ flee in terror.

UN3, some more Chinese get shot up. One Chinese HS is taken prisoner.

C4, I can exit two squads and a leader for 6 points, and may be able to get off the crew the following turn if they don’t get swamped. But Walt has enough CVPs, plus opportunities for more prisoners, so that won’t work. Let’s try to kill some tanks!!!

One squad runs offboard, drawing tank fire. The wounded 9-1 leader jumps in front of another tank, ala Tiananmen Square, drawing its fire. Both of these survive unscathed.

The 8-1 and DC squad run behind a hedge. The formerly stunned tank, needing to change TCA, needs a 5 TH, gets it, then rolls a 1 KIA. The remaining squad, still clutching the DC, fails the LLTC and pins.

The bazooka crew can run adjacent to get an adjacent side shot on a tank that has already fired. Two squads from across the board fire a 8+1, and do nothing. But, because I had to hop over the hedge, they can SFF. And roll a 3 on a 4+1, resulting in a broken vehicle crew. Game most emphatically Over.

I had four chances to kill two tanks that turn – a placed DC, a BAZ side shot from one hex range, a CC with a crew and the wounded 9-1, and a CC with a squad and an 8-1. None of them happened. Had I gotten the tanks, I probably would have won.

Finally point score at the end of turn 4 was 11-2. It would have been worse had we played out the rest, as more Chinese would have been taken prisoner and put to work filling sandbags.

I think the CPVA can win this. The two snake eyes that Walt rolled early, and the two low rolls at the end doomed my chances. The tanks aren't that awesome. They have gyrostabilizers, but HE8 and only a 4 FP CMG. But Walt's did him proud.

Next post – 147 Ways To Use Ramen Noodles.

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We played this a few months ago. The CPVA can definitely win, they just need to have a few things go well. Definitely an asymmetrical battle.

And thus, quite interesting.