AAR - Battle For The Warta Line - U15

Major Issues

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vince
Country
llUnited States
After many months of giving you advice on finding a job, I find myself without one, partly due to COVID-19, partly due to me walking around at work all day ringing a handbell while wearing a posterboard that read “THE END IS NIGH!!!!!”

This whole Corona thing is a nightmare come true. It’s like The Walking Dead, but with less toilet paper.

Post on an old game. No new games, as everyone is either sick, or in lockdown due to fear I might breathe on them. Hardened cardboard veterans who routinely risk 20-3 shots to cross a street are afraid to leave their basements. Go figger.

I had played Gunny Thompson in Battle For The Warta Line.

MMP remake of an old chestnut, using the rarely used boards 3 and 5. Poles have a bunch of infantry and wire, plus OBA with a phone.
“Shhhhhhhh!!! It’s time for Howard Stern!!!”

Germans (me) have their 1939 eliteness, 100mm OBA, two PzKw Is and a field gun. VC are infantry (only) exit points.

Just like me, my plan was simple. 75 INF would unload on the northern side of board 5, where it could plink away at hilltops. The tanks clanked forward on the south edge. The infantry all charged through the forest on the south side of board 5. As expected, this was mostly defended by wire, with a couple squads covering the open ground.

My plan for dealing with the covering troops was to hit them with big firegroups. My plan for dealing with the wire wuz to run through it. Sure, some guys may get their jackets torn, necessitating a trip to that really good tailor on Volckerstrasse, but I thought it would be quicker than trying to cut the wires. That only seems to work in movies with Steve McQueen.

This worked pretty well. The tanks blasted a foxhole containing the phone, breaking, ELRing and wounding the leader.

But an ATR took out one tank. The Polish infantry in the woods was smashed, though progress was slower than expected due to poor rolls crossing the wire. One squad failed four rolls in a row. FOUR.

The INF gun kept the 9-2 and MMG in a foxhole from wanting to fire and lose concealment. And more importantly, from moving south. Eventually, I broke the squad with a shot.

I had a chance to cause considerable karnage with the remaining tank by running behind some broken Poles to DM a squad and eliminate the wounded leader for failure to rout. But, the tank was lost to a MMG shot. Where was my Sz and sandbag armor???

My infantry poured forward, with the exception of a couple squads that forgot to bring their wire cutters. The South Poles were being overwhelmed. Gunny conceded when he had no good order squads on the south half of the board, and my squads were rampaging all over, DMing his broken units while making for the board edge. I think it was the end of German turn 6.

“Need to remove a Warta Line??? Try WARTIE!!! Even a four year old can use it!!!”

Not necessarily as one sided as it played out. The 9-2, one MMG and the pillbox were on the northern half of the board, and really didn’t come into play. Neither did the Polish OBA, since Andy could not get Sarah to connect. On the other hand, I never even tried to use the 100mm OBA. In the woods, it was too close to try to call it in, and after that, the Poles were running. I had an opportunity at one point to potentially get a SR, but chose to use the 8-0 to go rally some guys that needed a little emotional support.

Time is not on the German side. If they can be held up at all, it will be difficult to exit enough infantry in 8 turns. There are two boards to cross, with woods, hills, and wire.

Still, this one was not a 10. I don’t think either of us would want to play it again.

Next post – 147 recipes using canned tuna.