AAR 194 Infanterie-Regiment, 71st Infantrie-Division SASL CG [May 1040 - May 1945]

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Don, thanks for taking the time to type these AARs. Your text along with screen shots make it easy and enjoyable to follow along.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words fellows.

It does take time, so if it ever gets boring or old let me know and I'll stop. I have two more missions in France and then looks like I'll be in Russia for some time.

I am having fun and finding that SASL and this particular HASL CG is an easy way to relearn the rules.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Question

I am in the retro fit stage an on: 17.73 LEADER PROMOTION/DEMOTION: It says to do Random Selection for all company leaders (I don't use my own leader due to using the personal leader rules for him), but during the Random Selection process I had a tie, so do both leader get the the promotion attempt?

A.9 seems to confirm this.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the kind and encouraging words fellows.

It does take time, so if it ever gets boring or old let me know and I'll stop. I have two more missions in France and then looks like I'll be in Russia for some time.

I am having fun and finding that SASL and this particular HASL CG is an easy way to relearn the rules.

agreed....and you get to use things that rarely appear in normal scenarios including night rules, pre-bombardment, air support, etc etc

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Question

I am in the retro fit stage an on: 17.73 LEADER PROMOTION/DEMOTION: It says to do Random Selection for all company leaders (I don't use my own leader due to using the personal leader rules for him), but during the Random Selection process I had a tie, so do both leader get the the promotion attempt?

A.9 seems to confirm this.
Yes if the both die rolls were the highest

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
S17 CG refit phase:

Hpt. Bruckner was field promoted to Maj. (10-3) and Sgt. Kolzig was promoted to 1st Lt. (9-1).
2nd Line HS was battled hardened to 1st Line HS. And 1st Line squad A was battle hardened to Elite.

Board selected is 46 (dr = 1).

Here is my company at start OOB.

Continuing rolling up the mission.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Mission 5
The enemy turns and fights.
Samogneux, France
14 June 1940.

After several days of engaging the evading enemy, the 194th IR encounters significant resistance at
Samogneux and the nearby Hill 344. At 05:30 the lead elements of the 194th enter the village under
cover of outstanding artillery support by embedded artillery observers at the front of the action.

Type: Block Party (7)
Mapboard Selection: Mission mapboard selection NA. One mapboard is determined [1=46, 2=64, 3=10,
4=12, 5=53, 6=s]. Board number is to the east on a dr ≤3; otherwise it is towards the west.

Map 46 in use.

Weather: EC are Moderate with No Wind at start.
FRIENDLY: I./194th IR (ELR 3). FBE West.
ENEMY: France (ELR 3). EBE East.
Misc:
1. EXC to MSR 4. FRIENDLY side OB is supplemented by one OBA Module with Plentiful Ammo. In addition one pre-registered hex may be selected after bombardment, but before S? placement.
Recieved 100mm OBA and using the FO from last mission.
2. EXC to MSR 5. Samogneux is automatically a DEVESTATED CITY

Here is the S? placement and my forces off to the FBE:

Here is what is left after the Devastated City bombardment. Note I'll add more details later, but suffice it to say that the French got very unlucky and the Germans very lucky in the rolls. At first I thought I would defiantly need the Assault Pioneers but now, maybe not so much.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Pre German Turn notes.

Where and how to explain all the bombardment rolls?

First it was a lot, lol.

Second, as you can see from the screenshots, a lot of French unit are broken. It was a long process, my understanding was I had to do a bombardment which is normally a 2MC on each hex except those excluded. In my case that was 0, 2, 3, 4 and 8 from my six rolls. Once I came upon a S? I did the normal AC# check roll and quite a few were dummies. And then if activated I rolled for stuff. Where the French rolled badly was in the Green squad category. They got several leaders (a 9-1, 2x 8-1, a 7-0 and a 6+1, one of the 8-1 and the 6+1 broke). They also got the S-35 which is dug-in and several Elite squads. During my turn by turn, I'll note them an any S? I roll for I'll do my normal text walk through.

It took an hour and half to two hours to bombard and roll for things.

Only 3 wooden buildings rubble by I got several shell holes as well.

Ahriman667

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I believe that the bombardment should be completed before any troops are deployed in the map. Might be mistaken on that.

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
I believe that the bombardment should be completed before any troops are deployed in the map. Might be mistaken on that.

That is what I did with my mission (no S? on board during bombardment) , as per MSR 5 for "Block Party" ...just not sure if that is the case for this mission or not, ie special instructions

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Not per the rules:

1.81 AREA: Bombardment begins after setup but prior to the start of play.

In my mind after setup includes placing S?

However after reading the Mission SSR's for Block Party I see this:

If Devastated, the player performs a Bombardment (C1.8) for rubble/fire (C1.822-.823) determination only.

So I essentially followed the C1.8 rules correctly, but I also missed this SSR on the Mission Card.

So that means I need to re-look at my screenshots and remove all French forces and re-setup all the S? counters...

Oh the joys. Maybe for the HASL CG for this one mission, there could have been a gentle reminder, lol for folks like me.

Last edited:

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Okay, after the help I got to sort out the Devastated City rule for SASL this is what the map board now looks like. Note I took a few small liberties.

I think this makes a better (and maybe even) playing field.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
SPECIAL NOTE to my 'readers'.

I will be out all of next week on my anniversary, so after Friday and for sure on Monday-Sunday of next week I will be out of office and not posting.

So I may have a post or two until then but, just wanted to put that out there.

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SPECIAL NOTE to my 'readers'.

I will be out all of next week on my anniversary, so after Friday and for sure on Monday-Sunday of next week I will be out of office and not posting.

So I may have a post or two until then but, just wanted to put that out there.
Congrats and enjoy.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Introduction

I am going to attempt to do an AAR for the excellent 194 Infanterie-Regiment, 71st Infantrie-Division SASL CG [May 1040 - May 1945] created by Ahriman667.

I make no guarantees and it may take 'years' for me to complete this thing. But I was so impressed by ChappyNS Canadian AAR and Ahriman667 CG's that I was inspired to to give it a try.

It's been about six years since I played ASL face to face on a competitive and fun level so I am bound to make many mistakes. I have been playing ASL since 1985 and SL, COI, COD, and GI before that, but so far in just setting up this thing I have had to reread several rules and I am also surprised how much I still do retain. Also, there is as always life constraints so please don't get mad if there is no posts for days or weeks at a time. Lots to soak in, remember and enjoy.

Tools
I am using VASL 6.5.0 for this AAR and to keep track of things. I am also using a spreadsheet I picked up someplace to help keep track of stuff. Since all my stuff is in storage I am using all digital tools (rule books, charts, etc. and VASL), this includes using the VASL dr and DR to resolve things. All the maps, leaders etc. that you may see were all generated with the dice bot that comes in VASL. I am also throwing in a lowly 7-0 corporal and will use the ASL Annual '95 Winter: Warriors All! Campaign Game Leaders for ASL by David Payne (hard copy page 16 or page 396 in the PDF bundle) SIDE NOTE: I also have a PDF and not sure where I got it from called ASL-Personal-Leader-Counter-Campaign-v3) and based on the Warriors All! CG I created a small spreadsheet to track things).

All that being said here my Mission # 1 setup:

Late (WAY LATE) to this party.....

is this available anywhere?

Peace

Roger

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Okay so after a week of vacation and rest and enjoying the great outdoors. Here is my final setup for Mission 5.

Expanded stacks:

Will begin turn 1 tonight or tomorrow.