AAR 194 Infanterie-Regiment, 71st Infantrie-Division SASL CG [May 1040 - May 1945]

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
They wuz fun to drive, and I’d still fit in them, however with my bad knee and my age I could not roll a CS to save my life, lol

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Not to rain on the parade, but the 1-2-7's are supposed to be your gun teams for the Lt Mtr and ATR's only. According to S17.141 they are the only ones that can fire those weapons without penalty. Personally I tend to stack my HMG and MMG with two MMC and my best leader for a kill group with 20FP at six hexes or less, going down from there. Though you think it would make sense that the HMG and the MMG should be assigned to the crews.

Also the mission has specific CVP counts, and the FR side does not receive any VP for CVP earned. Only the EN side gets that. You should only be getting VP for control of VPO and activating certain items (i.e. extra boards, fortifications, etc)
Yeah its a SASL thing, otherwise I would be giving my mtrs and MMG to MMCs....I strictly use gun teams for these weapons as per S17.141, unless of course there are casualties, routing etc.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
German Turn 9

Errata per Ahriman667 and ChappyNS (Mark) previous posts. I have been playing the HMG, MMG and ATR's wrong so going forward I'll abide by the correct rules and all MTR's and ATR's can/must be manned by the 1-2-7 crews and the MMG/HMG will switch back to the MMC squad/half squad.

RPh
Germans have none. French Sgt. Zidane attempts to rally but fails.

PFPh
None.

MPh/DFPh
From hex 15H5
Squad B moves up the hill towards board 58, and when he crest the hill a S? actives and (lucky for Squad B) its an Elite HS, firing at long range with 1 down two, roll is 5,2 = PTC and squad B pins.
Lt. Bruckner and Squad B with the LMG move up to hill level 2.
Squad E AM up to level 1 via the stairwell.

From hex 15G5
Squad A moves up to hill level 2.
Squad C moves up to hill level 3. French Green Squad with the LMG fires at foolish/brave Squad C with 6 even, rolls a 2,2 and cowers but still gets a 1MC and Squad C rolls 2,2 and generates a SAN which is NE.
HS Y CX's and moves to 15D1.

Sgt. Shultz's area, lots of movement (see below).

South Siders
Lots of movement.

Notables.
Squad K AM into the woods of 58AA7 and S? in 58BB4 actives with Sgt. Marc-André Fleury with two 1st Line Squads which take a 8 down even and roll 3,6 which is a PTC and squad K passes.
Squad I moves into wooded hill 15X5 and captures the 2nd VPO.
Mortar Team 5 (mortar C) moves two hexes and actives a S? in 58DD4 that contains Sgt. Guy Lapointe a 1st Line Squad and a 60mm Mortar. They FF with 4 down 1 and roll 1,5 which is a 1MC and the crew rolls a 6,4 and breaks him.

Note: the last two pics were a little off with the FF showing, screen shots slightly off.

FF
None.

AFPh
Lots but NE.

Here is what that mess looks like:

RtPh
My crew routs. The French Sgt. Zidane and one squad and HS surrender and Squad E deploys to accept Prisoners.

APh
Multiple.

CCPh
None.

Here is the end result and also the start of the French Turn 9.

Moose Squirrel in hat you now receive our greatest honer. To be sacrificed and have your hearts plucked out. --- Mayan Priest

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
French Turn 9

WC/RE 6,6 Gusts

RPh
Nothing, none, nada for both sides.

PFPh
In hex 58H10 the Green Squad with the LMG and the Labor -2, got orders to entrench instead of fire.
The entrenched Lt. Peloffy and Green Squad in 58L10 Prep at Lt. Bruckner with a 4 even and roll a 3,4 for a PTC, which Lt. Bruckner and Squad D pass.
Green HS (just activated after the previous advance phase, note that several dummies disappeared) in 58J8 Preps at Lt. Brucker with a 1 up 1 and rolls a 2,1 for Pete's sake generating a NMC. Lt. Bruckner and Squad D both roll 2,5 and pass easily.
The Elite HS in 58I6 (brush) also get orders to entrench and gain a -1 Labor for their efforts.
The Green squad in 15M4 gets orders to fire and promptly carries this out against the adjacent stack in 15M5 with a 8 up 1 and rolls 2,5 which result a 1MC. Both squads c and e roll 3,1 and 3,2 passing but generating a SAN in the process which is a 6 or NE.

All that looks like this:

Moving on to the south side.
Lt. Fleury with the two 1st line squads in 58BB4 fire at 58AA7 with 8 even but roll 6,5 for NE.
Sgt. Lapointe with the 1st line squad and the 60mm mortar fire at 58AA10 (open ground hex) containing Cpl. Lazov, a 1st line HS and the HMG with a 2 up 2 (Orchard hindrance) for their inherent FP, rolling a 1,1 (thank goodness they have not fired the mortar yet?) resulting in pinning Lazov and breaking the crew.
Now Sgt. Lapointe's mortar fires, and rolls a 5,5 for a miss but gains a Aqc.

This looks like:

MPh/DFPh
None.

FF
The South Siders.
Squad K returns fire at Sgt. Fleury with a 4 up 1 and rolls 2,1 resulting in a 1MC. Sgt. Fleury rolls 3,6 breaking and one 1st line squad rolls 1,6 breaking and the last 1st line squad rolls 4,1 passing and then rolls 1,4 passing his LLMC.
Squad I fires at 58W3 (Sgt. Huet) with a 4 up 1, rolls a 5,5 to DM the poor Sgt.

Here is that:

Lt. Bruckner is in command and sends out his orders.
First the LT's FG returns fire at the entrench Lt. Peloffy group, with 6 even rolling a 3,6 for NE.
Squad A fires at 58H10 (the entrenching Green LMG squad) with 4 up 1, rolls 1,1, cowers to the 2 for a 1MC breaking the Green squad.
Squads c and d return fire on 15M4 (the entrenched Green squad) for 16 up 2. Roll a 4,2 resulting in a 1MC, which the Green squad rolls 5,4 ELR (Green just disrupts).

Here is the all that:

And that concludes the FF.

AFPh
None.

RtPh
Normal routs, except that Disrupted Green squad surrenders.

Cpl. Lazov had a dilemma, since he was pinned he could not route with his broken HS, and if he breaks to rout with the he would gain debit points, so he decides to stay put and maybe just man that HMG, brave or foolish? Only time will tell.

APh
None.

CCPh
None.

End of Turn and the start of German turn 10:

Hokey Smoke! That's a Reward? --- Rocky

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
German Turn 10

Wind Gusts again.

RPh
German crew in 58DD9 self rallies.
French Sgt. Fleury rallies himself and his 1st line squad despite the DM!

PFPh
Lt. Bruckner and Squad LMG Squad D Prep at 58L10 (Peloffy) 6 even and rolls 1,5 (rate) resulting in a 1MC which breaks both leader and squad.
Squad A in 15I2 fires at 58I8 (the Green HS) with 4 up 1, rolls 4,1 NMC, and this Pins that HS.

That is all the prep.

MPh/DFPh
Lots to move.

First move and the easiest is to activate a board, this is a Recon mission btw. So that is accomplished by 1st Line Squad I moving and DM'ing Sgt. Huet here.

The newly activated board is 18, but due to the limitations of VASL I can't seem to place the board on top. VASL only lets you add to the bottom. It seems I have to add a new board (a second board 15) on the bottom and then somehow painstakingly copy or move all the units on the original board 15 to the new board 15, and then change old board 15 to to the become the new board 58 and then move/copy all the units on old board 58 to the new board 58 and then change the old board 58 to the new board 18. Sounds confusing sure enough is! As frustrating as that sounds I may have to just end the scenario and give my self only 2 VP for the one board. I can't believe that I am the only one that has ran into this problem with VASL and SASL so their must be a better solution.

So I'll just have to continue on somehow. Mentally pretend there is a board 18 north of Squad I.

Squad a AM into 58S9 and the S? activated with Lance Cpl. Marcel Dionne, a 1st line squad and another 60mm mortar, promptly firing a 8 up 2 for NE.

Squad b moves rather recklessly through the Gully and takes a SFF of 4 up 2 from LC. Dionne FG rolling 1,2 for a 1MC failing with a 3,6.

Shuffled a few MMC/crews about.

Truck AA carrying crew 2 mortar B snaked around and took a mortar shot which lost rate and missed and the truck moved one more hex and unloaded its cargo.

Lots more movement but not much firing.

FF
None.

AFPh
Sgt. Shultz FG was a NE across the hill in the bush (58I6).
Squad a fired at LC. Dionne and pin him and his mortar toting 1st line squad.

RtPh
Sgt. Huet surrenders to Squad I.
Sgt. Peloffy routs with a 1st line squad and gets interdicted twice, the squad becomes a HS and Sgt. Peloffy lives another day.

APh
Made some moves, nothing special.

CCPh
None.

Here is an overview:

Rocky:
I still don't understand after all these years why does Fearless Leader want to kill us anyway?

Natasha:
If you saw his rumpas room you would totally get it.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
French Turn 10

Gusts again!

RPh
Nothing for the French, both rally attempts were 6,5.
Cpl. Lazov rallied a HS.

PFPh
58I6 (Elite HS) fires at 15I1, 4 even NE.
58J8 (Green HS) fires at 58J10, 4 up one, roll, 4,1 PTC, pins Squad G.
58R8 (Sgt. Dionne and 1st Line Squad) 8 up 2, roll 2,2, pins Squad a.
58R8 (Mortar) TH on 15S2, TC roll 2,2 (rate), hit, result, 3,1, 1MC, breaks crew 2. Hit again with rate, NE. Lost rate and miss.

The French Sgt's in the cluster of 58CC4 all decided to entrench for some reason only one attempt was successful.

Here is all that lot.

MPh/DFPh
None

FF
North Side.

Squad C FF at 58H9 (broken Green HS with LMG) 8 up 1, roll 1,3 (SAN), 2MC, French roll 1,1 and then 1,6 for Berserk status. Sniper is a 1, which goes to 15O9 and RS pick HS J (the Guard is HS c).

Lt. Bruckner and Sgt. Shultz Panic (I guess from the shots from the Sniper?).

However six out of seven 1st Line Squads do not panic, but a lot are either CX or Pinned.

Squads A and B FG on 58J8 for 8 up 1 and roll 1,2 for a 2MC. Resulting in wounding Peloffy, eliminating the HS and the Green HS passes with flying colors

South side.

Crew 5 (mortar C) in 58BB8 take a shot at 58DD4 (the entrenching Lapointe 60mm MTR team) miss but get a -1 Aqc.

Here is all that jazz.

AFPh
Only the Berserk Squad can fire and they roll 5,6 to break the LMG and NE.

RtPh
The wounded leader routs.

APh
The Berserk squad advances in CC.

CCPh
No ambush, both sides have 1-1.
The French roll: 4,3 = NE.
The German roll: 2,3 = K/1 (KIA HS).

Mission End dr = 3.

Mission continues.

No No No No No! Aaaagh! -- Boris Badenov

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
That sucks about not being able to add the board in VASL. I haven't run into that situation yet. If it does I think I would just transfer the game to the real boards and carry on.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Some one gave me a tip to try. I need to add a new board to the bottom, and then change each board and then move the units down. Going to save and try that.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Wow that actually worked! In fact my units stayed in place!

Here is a shot:
The text label thing I can't seem to find when I hit shift and left click, no idea where its at.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
German Turn 11

WC/RE = 1,4 or 5, French RE.
DR 1,3 or 13
Minefield! Strength dr = 5, or 12.
This will go off in the MPh/DFPh phase. It is in 58V4:
Yikes the strongest mine attack to recieve!

RPh
Nothing.

PFPh
Over by Lt. Bruckner and Sgt. Shultz I had a 12 FP up 1 on 58J8 (Green HS) and only got a PTC, which the Green HS passed.
Sgt. Shultz had a 6 up 1 and rolled 5,6 NE.
Lt. Bruckner also has a 6 down 1 and rolls 1,4 with rate, which is a 2MC which finally breaks, ELR's and disrupts that HS.
Lt. Bruckner will direct the LMG for a 2 down 2 on the Elite HS in 58I6, roll is 3,1 (SAN) and that is a K/1 eliminating that HS.
SAN is 3 NE.

Here is the North prep.

Squad a PBF at 58R8 is 8 up 1 and roll is 3,2 for a 1MC. The LC rolls 6,3 which breaks and ELR him (Disrupt) and the 1st Line squad is pinned.
Crew 5 with MTR hit with rate 58DD4 (Lapointe) and roll 2,4 for a NMC. Lapointe rolls 3,6 breaking him and MTR 1st Squad rolls 5,4 breaking him.
Well as I always say, got rate might as well use it.
Hit and rate again, NE.
Hit and rate again, NE.
Hit and rate again, NE.
Hit and rate (SAN), IFT 3,1 (-1 shell bursts) = 1MC. Leader passes Squad fails (reduced to HS).
Lost rate, hit NE.

South side

MPh/DFPh
The Minefield attack breaks Squad I and eliminates the prisoner leader.

The rest of the movement is unopposed. See screen shot after firing.

FF
Only the Pinned 1st Line Squad with the 60mm MTR in 58R8 could fire. NE.

AFPh
None.

Here is the whole map with new S? for board 18, note the AC is sneaking in from the left.

RtPh
The 2nd Line Squad that was broken in the minefield safely routed out. The French disrupted leader surrendered as well as the disrupted HS.

APh
Multiple advances.

CCPh
The Melee in 58G9:
German has 2-1: DR 5,5, NE
French has 1-2: DR 2,2, K/1

Here is all that mess.

Oh that's terrible. --- Snidely Whiplash

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Forgot to add in the VPO for board 18, random rolls for a recon mission and it makes sense.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
France Turn 11

RPh

Wounded Lt. Peloffy BH with a 1,1 for his self rally.
German crew 2, CMC with a 6,6.

PFPh
58R8 1st Line Squad with MTR is ordered to entrench.
58BB4 1st Line Squad is ordered to Move.

MPh/DFPh
The 1st Line Squad with the Move order AM into 58AA5.

FF
HS c FF at 58R8 2 up 1, roll 1,3 (SAN), result 1MC. French MTR squad roll 2,2.
SAN = 1. Lands on a Truck, becomes immobilized.
AFPh
None.

RtPh
None.

APh
One, wounded Leader.

CCPh
French 1:1. Roll 5,1 - NE
German 1:1. Roll 2,4 - NE
Melee continues.

Mission End dr = 1.

Mission Ends.

End of game map:

Victory Points
French
: VPO: 6 + CVP: 8 = 14
German: VPO: 8 + XTRA: 3 (minefield and map) = 11

French win!

Things that were not counted: The Germans captured 15 CVP:

Ha! It will take more then that to do in Boris Badanov! Me and my big mouth. --- Boris Badanov

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
A well fought battle! If VPs were allowed, you would have easily won this mission. One word of advice: stop generating so many good French leaders lol

Thanks for the AAR Don

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Marc (lol, yes I am following your AAR :D),

Yes it was close, but the good news is I lost to my self, and that is not a bad thing, I know I used to be a pretty good ASL'er, lol.

Luck of the roll. Two things I noticed while playing this SASL CG.

1. The French can have great leaders and fight well when led well in good terrain
  2. The French can and do surrender in droves
Setting up for Mission 2. Still sorting out the CG rules and S rules (17) to get my 'core' ready for the next mission.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Not sure what others use for things, but I found this spreadsheet that I downloaded from someplace and am using that (all my stuff is digital now).

Originally the spreadsheet only contained one tab, I have duplicated it (will do so for each mission):

This tab is something I created for use with Personal Leaders from that Annual ASL article I mentioned in the begining.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Mission 2:
Keeping the enemy eye occupied.
Margut, France. 16 May 1940

To support the attack on La Ferte by the 191st IR, the 194th IR was tasked with staging a diversion to the
east by attacking the towns of Fromy, Margut and Moiry. They were also supposed to secure the area to
remove the possibility of the towns being used by the Maginot Line defenders as a base for counter
attacks. The towns were unoccupied by the enemy, who had previously withdrawn west over the Cheirs
River, but defenses in the vicinity of the nearby Montlibert were still intact.

Type: Pockets (2)
Mapboard Selection: Eastern board is rolled on A8d. Western board is a village (roll on A9 Village). - See below.
Weather: EC are Moderate with No Wind at start.
FRIENDLY: I./194th IR (ELR 3). FBE North.
ENEMY: France (ELR 3). EBE South.

Commentary

Pre-previous mission end following S17.

17.31 RETAINED - 17.32 ELIMINATED
17.74 SQUAD SEASONING
17.8 COMPANY REPLACEMENTS
17.81 COMPANY LEADERS
17.82 SQUADS/HS REPLACEMENT

For Squad Seasoning the dr had one squad seasoned so I decided to BH 2nd Line Squad I.
Also for Company Leaders the dr resulted in 8-1 (Sgt. Olaf Kölzig) being added to the company.
Lastly, for squads/HS replacement the dr replaced one squad lost.

This brings my forces up to:

Squads/HS/Crews
11x 4-6-7
2x 2-4-7
6x 1-2-7

SW
1x HMG
1x MMG
4x LMG
3x Lt. Mtr

SMC
9-1 Bruckner
8-1 Kölzig
8-0 Shultz
7-0 Lazov

Current Force Composition:

MISSION TABLES

SAN
French: 5
German: 2

AC# 4

RE
French: 3/4
German: 3/4

Boobytrap Level: -

Maps
Map Order (top to bottom)Map Type and DROpt. AOpt. BOpt. C
(1)Rural (DR 6)w32v6740
(2)Farmland (DR 8)333354/71
* Options: A = default SASL, B = A9: Modified Random Map (from GS) and C = A9/A10: Modified Random Map (from Discord)

Went with option B.

Here is the map selection with S? counters.

Stan: Well, I don’t know anything about cutting wood.
Ollie: Well, you ought to. You once told me your father was in the lumber business.

Stan: Well, I know he was but it was only in a small way.
Ollie: What do you mean small way ?

Stan: Well, he ….. he used to sell toothpicks.

Last edited:

ChappyNS

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llCanada
Mission 2:
Keeping the enemy eye occupied.
Margut, France. 16 May 1940

To support the attack on La Ferte by the 191st IR, the 194th IR was tasked with staging a diversion to the
east by attacking the towns of Fromy, Margut and Moiry. They were also supposed to secure the area to
remove the possibility of the towns being used by the Maginot Line defenders as a base for counter
attacks. The towns were unoccupied by the enemy, who had previously withdrawn west over the Cheirs
River, but defenses in the vicinity of the nearby Montlibert were still intact.

Type: Pockets (2)
Mapboard Selection: Eastern board is rolled on A8d. Western board is a village (roll on A9 Village). - See below.
Weather: EC are Moderate with No Wind at start.
FRIENDLY: I./194th IR (ELR 3). FBE North.
ENEMY: France (ELR 3). EBE South.

Commentary

Pre-previous mission end following S17.

17.31 RETAINED - 17.32 ELIMINATED
17.74 SQUAD SEASONING
17.8 COMPANY REPLACEMENTS
17.81 COMPANY LEADERS
17.82 SQUADS/HS REPLACEMENT

For Squad Seasoning the dr had one squad seasoned so I decided to BH 2nd Line Squad I.
Also for Company Leaders the dr resulted in 8-1 (Sgt. Olaf Kölzig) being added to the company.
Lastly, for squads/HS replacement the dr replaced one squad lost.

This brings my forces up to:

Squads/HS/Crews
11x 4-6-7
2x 2-4-7
6x 1-2-7

SW
1x HMG
1x MMG
4x LMG
3x Lt. Mtr

SMC
9-1 Bruckner
8-1 Kölzig
8-0 Shultz
7-0 Lazov

Current Force Composition:
View attachment 12982

MISSION TABLES

SAN
French: 5
German: 2

AC# 4

RE
French: 3/4
German: 3/4

Boobytrap Level: -

Maps
Map Order (top to bottom)Map Type and DROpt. AOpt. BOpt. C
(1)Rural (DR 6)w32v6740
(2)Farmland (DR 8)333354/71
* Options: A = default SASL, B = A9: Modified Random Map (from GS) and C = A9/A10: Modified Random Map (from Discord)

Went with option B.

Here is the map selection with S? counters.

Stan: Well, I don’t know anything about cutting wood.
Ollie: Well, you ought to. You once told me your father was in the lumber business.

Stan: Well, I know he was but it was only in a small way.
Ollie: What do you mean small way ?

Stan: Well, he ….. he used to sell toothpicks.
Hey Don, I haven't played all of the SASL missions yet, but of the ones I have played I think "Pockets" is most difficult. With two very distinct enemy locations, you may have to split your company for this battle. But we will soon see. You don't have any cover on the left approach for a frontal assault. What are your thoughts?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Hey Don, I haven't played all of the SASL missions yet, but of the ones I have played I think "Pockets" is most difficult. With two very distinct enemy locations, you may have to split your company for this battle. But we will soon see. You don't have any cover on the left approach for a frontal assault. What are your thoughts?
Marc,

I made a slight mistake on setting up the S? on board 33. The plowed fields make those hexes OG (open ground) but they still retain the grain MP/MF (B15.6). So I re-rolled for S? placement and now I have this in front of me.

I'll post my thoughts on attacking this position in the next post prior to WC.