A8.4 & Intensive Fire

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I actually stayed up to 5AM last night playing scenario G33 and started having brain farts. My newbie opponent wanted to know if he could Intensive fire one of his tanks in the Def fire phase after having first fired in the movement phase. Since it was late I was finding it hard to think, but for some reason I was thinking it was a SFF situation. After checking A8.3 I noticed SFF was available to Defending *Infantry* marked with First Fire. I then realized it was actually a Final Fire situation since the tank was actually firing in the DFPh (..AFV marked first fire now wanting to fire in the DFPh). A8.4 says any units/weapons that are marked with first, final, intensive may only fire again but only at adjacent or same hex targets (no limitation on *Infantry* in Final Fire).

So, the conclusion I drew at the time last night (with a 5AM sleepy brain) was that he could Final Fire his First Fired AFV in the DFPh as intensive fire, but only at same or adjacent targets. However, he could've intensive fired in the MPh at any target, not limited to a range less than or equal to closest KEU, since an AFV is not an *Infantry* unit, thus is not limited to A8.3, correct?

And if the fire phases were reversed, i.e. say he had fired his MGs only in the Prep Fire phase or as BFF in the MPh, he would not then be able to fire (either regular or Intensive fire) his MA in the ADFPh because of D3.31 {...if a vehicle fires any weapon other than its MA during the MPh it may not fire its other weapons/PRC during the ADFPh...).

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I understand the rules the way you do...

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Corporal Kindel said:
I actually stayed up to 5AM last night playing scenario G33 and started having brain farts. My newbie opponent wanted to know if he could Intensive fire one of his tanks in the Def fire phase after having first fired in the movement phase. Since it was late I was finding it hard to think, but for some reason I was thinking it was a SFF situation. After checking A8.3 I noticed SFF was available to Defending *Infantry* marked with First Fire. I then realized it was actually a Final Fire situation since the tank was actually firing in the DFPh (..AFV marked first fire now wanting to fire in the DFPh). A8.4 says any units/weapons that are marked with first, final, intensive may only fire again but only at adjacent or same hex targets (no limitation on *Infantry* in Final Fire).

So, the conclusion I drew at the time last night (with a 5AM sleepy brain) was that he could Final Fire his First Fired AFV in the DFPh as intensive fire, but only at same or adjacent targets. However, he could've intensive fired in the MPh at any target, not limited to a range less than or equal to closest KEU, since an AFV is not an *Infantry* unit, thus is not limited to A8.3, correct?

And if the fire phases were reversed, i.e. say he had fired his MGs only in the Prep Fire phase or as BFF in the MPh, he would not then be able to fire (either regular or Intensive fire) his MA in the ADFPh because of D3.31 {...if a vehicle fires any weapon other than its MA during the MPh it may not fire its other weapons/PRC during the ADFPh...).
That's correct. In fact, there was a thread that I started a while back about this exact issue: http://www.strategyzoneonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26345

BoxCars

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is also a reference to this situation in "Tips From The Trenches" in Journal 3 on page 22. It states:

"Don't let your opponent Intensive Fire at just any of your units during DFPh. He can fire a whatever target he want in PFPh, or as Defensive First Fire in your MPh, but during DFPh a weapon already marked with a First Fire counter is under the restrictions of A8.4 and can only fire at adjacent or same-Location units.