A7.302 and Leaders

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A 7.302 K/# reads as follows: "At least one target unit suffers Casualty Reduction in each specifically targeted Location and all other target units (including any just reduced HS) must take a MC adding the number indicated (#) to the MC DR..."

So the way I have always played this is if a leader is the unfortunate sole to be randomly determined as taking the Casualty Reduction - he would be wounded and if he survives the wound severity roll, he is off the hook for the ensuing MC.

The rule I follow, it's the rationale I don't. Why should a squad suffer casualty reduction and then have to undergo the ensuing MC (possibly ending the whole event as a broken half-squad) when a leader gets to avoid the MC?

Another way to phrase the question is why does a randomly selected Leader (assuming he survives the wound severity roll) always end the shot in GO while squads can end up broken?

Kurious Kev

Last edited:

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A leader may suffer a mortal wound. It balances treatment. You compare best case for SMC (alive) with worst case for MMC (broken).

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A leader may suffer a mortal wound. It balances treatment. You compare best case for SMC (alive) with worst case for MMC (broken).
Ah but might not the squad end up 100% KIA (worst case) if they roll on "12" on their ensuing MC?

It seems to me to have every Leader get wounded and ring out with, "I'm hit, but I'm ok, you boys carry on!" rather than, "Oh God I'm hit, I'm going to die here!" is a bit of stretch. ;)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
A 12 MC DR casualty reduces a squad.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why should a squad suffer casualty reduction and then have to undergo the ensuing MC (possibly ending the whole event as a broken half-squad) when a leader gets to avoid the MC?
Think of it in terms of two half squads, not one squad. One of the half squads sufferes CR. The other half squad, along with any other friendly units, has to take a MC. The SMC either takes the MC or is CR, not both.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A 12 MC DR casualty reduces a squad.
My point was that the "12" would finish off the GO half squad that had to still undergo the MC. So the GO squad is reduced to GO half-squad due to CR, and then rolls a "12" on the ensuing MC = 100% dead.

Last edited:

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Think of it in terms of two half squads, not one squad. One of the half squads sufferes CR. The other half squad, along with any other friendly units, has to take a MC. The SMC either takes the MC or is CR, not both.
Brian that is brilliant! So the half squad that takes the MC is not the same one that suffered casualty reduction, it's just one of the "all other target units". When thought of in this way the rule does indeed make sense to me. I award you with "Poster of the Day" status. (Don't let it go to your head. :) )

Last edited: