(A6.1) Line Of Sight (ASLSK)

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States

American 337 moves into F3 and spends 2 MF to be in the woods. German 447 has a 4(+0) shot [-1 FFNAM, +1 woods] shot.

American 337 moves into F3 and spends 1 MF to be on the road. German 447 shot is?:
4(+0) [-1 FFNAM, +1 woods] {shot still crosses woods}
4(-1) [-1 FFNAM] {337 not in the woods so no TEM but not open ground either}
4(-2) [-1 FFNAM, -1 FFMO] {337 not in the woods and no intervening hindrances}
LOS blocked {between the woods}
Some other option I've overlooked?

fulgar

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Sorry for my english
In your case, if I read the ASLSK rules carefully,The LOS of the defensive fire is crossing the wood symbol and you can apply
4(+0) [-1 FFNAM, +1 woods] {shot still crosses woods}

If the LOS of the defensive FIre didn't cross the wood symbol you should spend 2 MF in order to take the benefit of the (+1) TEM for the wood protection

That's my french point of view :D

Gorobei

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i would agree with fulgar.

IIRC, and to better explain what fulgar just mentioned, it would only be question say if the german unit was in G3 or H2 and you started D3 then moved to D4. If you spent 2MF, then you would be in wood coverage. If you spent 1MF, then you would be in open coverage. This only applies if the german has LOS along the road.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Gorobei said:
i would agree with fulgar.

IIRC, and to better explain what fulgar just mentioned, it would only be question say if the german unit was in G3 or H2 and you started D3 then moved to D4. If you spent 2MF, then you would be in wood coverage. If you spent 1MF, then you would be in open coverage. This only applies if the german has LOS along the road.
Yah, I understand the difference when you are shooting down the road. Just seems like this is a small exception to the general rule that the terrain in your hex does not affect LOS.

I'm suspecting bypass movement (not in the SK) may have similar issues?

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
zgrose said:
I'm suspecting bypass movement (not in the SK) may have similar issues?
Yes, sir! When an infantry unit is in bypass, you can choose instead to trace LOS to either hex vertex along the hexside that's being bypassed. If there's clear LOS, then the resulting defensive first fire attack is at a target in the open (FFMO) and no TEM applies.

Mechashef

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
"you started D3 then moved to D4"
I don't understand this. D3 is a full woods hex. D4 is a wood-road hex. The unit is not moving across the road hexside.

Can the unit only expend 1 MF in this case? - I thought it would be 2 as it has crossed a wood hex side, and thus the unit would get the protection from the wood. I thought it only had the choice of using 1 or 2 MFs is moving across a road hex side of a woods-road hex.

Should "you started D3 then moved to D4" read "you started D4 then moved to E4" (or something similar) or do I just not understand wood-roads)

Thanks

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Mechashef said:
Can the unit only expend 1 MF in this case? - I thought it would be 2 as it has crossed a wood hex side, and thus the unit would get the protection from the wood. I thought it only had the choice of using 1 or 2 MFs is moving across a road hex side of a woods-road hex.
Your understanding is exactly right. I'm guessing it might have been a typo on Gorobei's part, since, as you point out, you can only claim the 1MF expenditure if you're crossing a road hexside, which wasn't the case for D3 to D4.