A4.44 Recovery

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
(1) A squad starts the RPh in a Location with an unpossessed FT and DC. May the squad claim possession of both?
(2) If the answer of (1) is Yes, does the player have to make two Recovery dr?
(3) A squad moves into a Location with an unpossessed FT an DC during the MPh. May the squad recover both?
(4) If the answer of (3) is Yes, does the player have to make two Recovery dr?
(5) If the answer of (3) is Yes, does the squad have to expend 2 extra MF?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
  1. I would think not as stated in A4.44 RECOVERY: Infantry may claim possession of an unpossessed SW/Gun at the start of any RPh as their sole action during that RPh, provided they make a Recovery Final dr < 6 (Δ). However, this is certainly open to various interpretations and is not specific enough to base a solid No answer on.
  2. If my interpretation of the first question is incorrect, I would certainly think one would have to make two Recovery dr's again relying upon the "an" in the sentence denoting only a single one.
  3. This I believe is possible because of the sentence structure, "Infantry may also Recover an unpossessed SW/Gun during their MPh on a Final dr < 6 (Δ) after an expenditure of one extra MF (limit of one attempt per unit per SW or Gun per MPh), even if they attempted Recovery in the RPh." If the unit were only allowed a single attempt there should be a comma after "per unit" to denote a change in the thought process but as it stands a single unit (per unit) may make a single attempt at each single SW "per SW" during the MPh. The only limiting factor would seem to be the number of SWs and MF required to attempt Recovery.
  4. I believe the answer would certainly be yes as it is "per SW".
  5. As stated previously I would think the unit would have to expend an additional MF per SW Recovery attempt.
JMHO.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Eagle4ty, but with 1 clarification for questions 3-5. The unit doesn't spend 2 extra MF, rather after entering the location (if not already there) and surviving any DF it spends 1 extra MF, makes the recovery dr, survives any DF, then spends another MF to try to recover the other SW. In some cases the sequence will make a difference.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
The two Eagles are right (with IVs clarification). Here is an existing Q&A which answers these questions the same way (excuse the asker's misuse of the word "search" - he means "recover"):

Q. (A4.44) Is this formulation correct?​
1 - During the RPh, a SW may be searched a number of times = #units present in the same location, as long as each unit do it as their sole RPh action. Ex : If two squads are stacked with a LMG, each of them may try to recover it once in their RPh. I.e., if the first try is unsuccessful, the second sq may try.​
2 - During the MPh, a SW may be searched only once by only one unit. If the attempt is unsuccessful, then no other unit may try to recover this SW during this MPh.​
3 - The same unit may try to recover the same SW two times during his player turn: one attempt during the RPh and one attempt during the MPh.​
A. 1 & 3 are correct; for 2, as many units as desired may attempt an MPh recovery of an SW/Gun, but each such unit may try only once for each different SW/Gun it tries to Recover during that one MPh. {1}​