A26.3 Exit Victory Conditions vs A20 Prisoners

JMendes

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Hey, :)

I'm playing ASL Scenario 1 from Beyond Valor and an interesting question came up.

I'm playing the Russian side and a few of my units surrendered to the Finn. Later, I fired on that Finnish unit and consequently eliminated some prisoners.

Now, I wanted to count VPs for the eliminated prisoners, but my opponent (in rather sportsmanlike fashion, I think) thinks that prisoner VPs earned by elimination as stated in A20.54 apply to Casualty Victory Conditions (A26.2), but not to Exit Victory Conditions (A26.3).

A26.3 states very plainly that Exit VPs are calculated in the exact same manner as Casualty VPs, but the fact is that those prisoners did not exit the board. However, A20.54 states that prisoners eliminated by friendly fire still count.

I can see the argument for both sides, really, and thus, I am rather torn. Any thoughts?

Cheers,

J.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JMendes said:
I'm playing the Russian side and a few of my units surrendered to the Finn. Later, I fired on that Finnish unit and consequently eliminated some prisoners.
You killed some of your own units that had surrendered and you want to count them as your own EVP? No. EVP are only gained by exiting units, unless an SSR/VC state otherwise.

JMendes

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
Ahey, :)

Brian W said:
You killed some of your own units that had surrendered and you want to count them as your own EVP?
ROFL :laugh: :laugh: ! No, man! Wouldn't that be a neat trick, though!!

No, I want to count them as my opponent's EVP. :)

Brian W said:
EVP are only gained by exiting units, unless an SSR/VC state otherwise.
Still, the rest of your post counts as a data point, so thanks for your input.

Cheers,

J.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Hi JMendes,

You're obviously looking at the first edition of the rules - without the errata pages from DB (I can tell because the CVP and EVP rules now have become A26.22 and A26.23).

In the v.1 rules it looked like those eliminated prisoners should count for exit VP - for the reason you state.

However, that's not how it's meant to work, so when we rewrote A26 along with A25 for DB, I changed the structure of the VC rules to make clear that EVP is independant of CVP.

So get yourself the second edition ASLRB ;)

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
JMendes said:

I'm playing ASL Scenario 1 from Beyond Valor and an interesting question came up.

Now, I wanted to count VPs for the eliminated prisoners, but my opponent (in rather sportsmanlike fashion, I think) thinks that prisoner VPs earned by elimination as stated in A20.54 apply to Casualty Victory Conditions (A26.2), but not to Exit Victory Conditions (A26.3).

A26.3 states very plainly that Exit VPs are calculated in the exact same manner as Casualty VPs, but the fact is that those prisoners did not exit the board.
Cheers,

J.
1) As elim units dont exit the board they dont count EVP. At least not in ASL 1 where only exited units count.

2) If You play this scenario give the Finn one full turn more in the VC - He needs it for balance provisions!

3) I found the scenario myself unattractive.

4) Get the 2nd ed RB ASAP. Ole did some good revisions from v1 to v2.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CHERDE said:
4) Get the 2nd ed RB ASAP. Ole did some good revisions from v1 to v2.
IIRC there is q&a from v1 that makes it clear that only exited units count for EVP.

JMendes

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llPortugal

It appears, then, that Paul was right in declining those VPs. Very well, then. (Not that I'm sad about that mind you... ;) )

Thanks for your input, guys.

Cheers,

J.