A25.23 Human Wave

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm sure this has been asked (multiple times) before, but I had no luck when I sifted through the threads containing the above keywords. Here's the question:

A Russian player successfully conducts a Human Wave attack and eliminates his target. Assuming he can meet the Human Wave requirements with the same units the next turn, can he then conduct another Human Wave with no penalty (CX, lax, etc.)? ...and then the next, and the next?

I know a sound defense should counter this, but do the Russians theoretically have an endless supply of 8MF each turn?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Units are not restricted as to the number of times they may Human Wave as long as they meet all the requirements. It is fairly uncommon for sides that have to meet the full Human Wave requirements (such as the Soviets) to be able to form a Human Wave after the first turn, much less in two successive turns, but there is nothing in the rules that prevents them from doing so. Campaign games may present more opportunities. The Japanese, on the other hand, Banzai fairly frequently, and occasionally in two successive turns.

JR

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I did three large banzai attacks in The Easter Gate in successive turns. Watching the Japanese slowly melt away while scaring the bejeebees out of the Indian forces was really fun. I was a newbie with the Japanese, else I would have done it differently.

Jude

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Units are not restricted as to the number of times they may Human Wave as long as they meet all the requirements. It is fairly uncommon for sides that have to meet the full Human Wave requirements (such as the Soviets) to be able to form a Human Wave after the first turn, much less in two successive turns, but there is nothing in the rules that prevents them from doing so. Campaign games may present more opportunities. The Japanese, on the other hand, Banzai fairly frequently, and occasionally in two successive turns.

JR
Thanks for the reply. I thought that was the answer. It just seems weird that a guy can't double time two turns in a row out of sight of the enemy but can run with wild abandon towards the enemy turn after turn (with a whole lot of luck). Adrenaline, I guess!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Thanks for the reply. I thought that was the answer. It just seems weird that a guy can't double time two turns in a row out of sight of the enemy but can run with wild abandon towards the enemy turn after turn (with a whole lot of luck). Adrenaline, I guess!
I don't think the rules are meant to model physical reality in that sense. Giving the Human Wave eight MF is more for the game mechanics than because of any cause in the physical world; see footnote 32 in chapter A. Also the ASL "turn" is very abstract, despite being described as two minutes, and might have other "real time" between the two "ASL time" turns. Don't take "ASL time" too literally. ASL is the highlight reel, not the actual battle.

JR