A24.3 WP from Ami 81mm Mrt

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gents,
Tried to wrap my brain around the following situation: American shoots 81mm Mortar white phosphorus round at a unit in open ground behind a bocage hexside. The round hits and causes the usual NMC. Is the bocage tem (reduced by one for indirect fire) applied in the usual manner to this wp NMC. I.e. is the morale check nmc -1DRM and +1 if colored dr is 6, or is it treated like open ground as nmc with no tem modification?
Thanks in advance,
Victor

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
A24.31 says "CE DRM and TEM apply as negative DRM to the NMC (treating grenades as if a Direct Fire attack for TEM purposes)."

So since a Direct Fire attack would receive a +2 Bocage TEM, the DRM is -2, or +2 if a CH.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes that’s true. But because it’s an on board mortar firing isn’t the drm only +1? So the MC for the WP would be handled accordingly.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
Jack said:
Yes that’s true. But because it’s an on board mortar firing isn’t the drm only +1? So the MC for the WP would be handled accordingly.
I read the above quote to apply to all WP placement, but on a second reading I see that it probably apply to Infantry SMOKE grenades only.

So I guess its +1 only...

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Now the really strange question: is a wp round placed in the same hex but not across the bocage hexside still receiving -1DRM to the nmc (barring CH on 6 colored)? It would bother me if the inherent wp smoke nmc should be tempered by hexside wall or bocage tem if the los to the unit that is firing the wp round doesn't cross the relevant hexside.
Victor

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
>>t would bother me if the inherent wp smoke nmc should be tempered by hexside wall or bocage tem if the los to the unit that is firing the wp round doesn't cross the relevant hexside.

That is already modeled into the fact that terrain has a direct and an indirect TEM modifier.

Specifically, B9.34 addresses this.

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Victor said:
Thanks for your thoughts guys. Now the really strange question: is a wp round placed in the same hex but not across the bocage hexside still receiving -1DRM to the nmc (barring CH on 6 colored)? It would bother me if the inherent wp smoke nmc should be tempered by hexside wall or bocage tem if the los to the unit that is firing the wp round doesn't cross the relevant hexside.
Victor
That is a damn good question. I also see zgrose reply as well. However I will have to read up on it.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Victor said:
I.e. is the morale check nmc -1DRM and +1 if colored dr is 6, or is it treated like open ground as nmc with no tem modification?
A colored dr of 6 does not cause a CH for ordnance fired WP, only for smoke grenades.

Last edited:

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
sorry for "reliving" this thread - but I think its not closed yet

A 24.31 and B 9.34 are helping

like zgrose I think that its +1 DRM for the indirect fired WP by the mortar, regardless of the LOS crossing the bocage hexside or not.

colored dr6 CH is NA - this is no grenade (altough the germans say "Granatwerfer " for "Mortar". [They can also say "Mörser" - but that same word is used for one equipment used in the kitchen and by chemists.]

Instead its DR2 CH (C 3.7)