A20.551 Rearming

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
A20.551 states, "One attacking Unarmed friendly unit of equal or smaller size is rearmed immediately for each armed enemy unit it eliminated/captured in CC (or by any other means if no other enemy unit is currently in the same Location), but the unarmed unit is replaced with a Green or Conscript squad/HS of its size and nationality (complete with inherent SW)."

A broken and DM'd British HS has a HS of German POWs, who have yet to successfully pass a TC to engage their captor in CC. During the RtPh, the Brits are located in a woods hex amid a Harassing Fire OBA mission. They do not have to rout, but choose to rout to an ADJ building (still within the OBA grid) so as to hopefully weather the storm without the -1 Airburst DRM affecting them. When doing the rout, they fail their 1MC from the OBA and cease to exist.

Is this a case where the remaining German POW HS, who passed their 1MC, gets to rearm via the eliminated HS? The POWs were not attacking their Guard. The parenthetical addendum in the rule itself, '...or by any other means...', still seems to indicate that the POW must be the one attacking the Guard; just with some other means besides CC. [I'm not exactly sure what the other means would be for an unarmed HS, perhaps some strange IJA quirk or somesuch]. Or am I misunderstanding the part in parentheses?

Thanks for any guidance.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
This is how I read it too. The German POW does not get to rearm unless it was the unit who did in the enemy (or unless the enemy unit, itself, surrenders).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Q&A:

A20.551
Does the Unarmed Unit/Prisoner need to participate in the attack that eliminates an enemy unit in order to be rearmed?
A. Not if the Location is currently devoid of enemy units.

If an attack from a source other than the Unarmed Unit eliminates an enemy unit is the unarmed unit rearmed? EX: IFT shot from
a unit other than the Prisoner KIAs the guard (no other enemy in Location) is the prisoner/unarmed unit rearmed?
A. Yes, but only if there is currently no enemy unit in the Location.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Q&A:

A20.551
Does the Unarmed Unit/Prisoner need to participate in the attack that eliminates an enemy unit in order to be rearmed?
A. Not if the Location is currently devoid of enemy units.

If an attack from a source other than the Unarmed Unit eliminates an enemy unit is the unarmed unit rearmed? EX: IFT shot from
a unit other than the Prisoner KIAs the guard (no other enemy in Location) is the prisoner/unarmed unit rearmed?
A. Yes, but only if there is currently no enemy unit in the Location.
Good to know! I'll be adding this to my RB annotations for sure as it certainly isn't what the RB seems to say. I like the ruling, though, as it feels more intuitive...

P.S. I looked for a Q&A yet somehow missed this! Doh!:facepalm:

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Good to know! I'll be adding this to my RB annotations for sure as it certainly isn't what the RB seems to say. I like the ruling, though, as it feels more intuitive...

P.S. I looked for a Q&A yet somehow missed this! Doh!:facepalm:
Use ctrl-f (i.e. find function) with key words or rules references.
It is the best way to go through the document.