A2.5 and "enter on/after..."

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When a scenario allows a reinforcement group to enter "on/after" a specific turn, can some of the units in the group enter on one turn while other units wait for a later turn? Or, must all the units in that group enter on the same turn? I think A2.5 means the latter, but I found a discussion of this question from a while ago that did not seem to end with a definitive answer - http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/delayed-entry.104362/

Surprised that in my search through the Q&A this has not come up.

I'm playing a scenario that allows me that option, and we are playing it that once any unit from a group sets up to enter all units in the group must do so as well. Are we right?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As the other thread says, I think we need the exact phrasing of the instructions to begin talking about the particular case.

JR

Juzek

Steve Kyle
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The scenario is FB19 "War Brotherhood"and the exact wording for each of the four groups is "enter on/after Turn 1 ..." There are three different entry areas for the groups, but the wording for the timing is the same for each.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Often a scenario will specify something like this if this group can be split up: 'enter on after turn x... some, none or all may enter on each turn'.

If the entry instructions are not clear, they are not clear. I would think the instructions would be specific if they were to all enter: 'on/after turn x as a group.'

A2.5 mentions 'all forces scheduled to arrive on a certain turn must enter the mapboard on that turn' Well, in the instructions provided for this scenario, there is no certain turn indicated. A2.51 elaborates that all offboard setup units must enter, and this QA indicates that if you don't want them to enter, don't set them up:

A2.5 - A scenario is in play, and one side has a reinforcement group that is specified to enter 'on/after turn X'. The player of that sidesets up reinforcements from this group off board to enter at the beginning of his turn X. Are these units now required to enter on turn X as specified by A2.5 for "All forces scheduled to arrive"?
A. Yes. See also ASOP step 1.11
A: "...Set up, offboard, all forces due to enter in this Player Turn...' Don't set them up if you do not want them to enter.

Thus I'd say the player could split them up how he wants to.

This is not the fault of A2.5, but the scenario designer, who wasn't specific enough. Since it's a Journal scenario, the editors of the Journal could be consulted I suppose. If it's worth it. The scenario mentioned has exactly one recorded playing in all history on ROAR.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
When a scenario allows a reinforcement group to enter "on/after" a specific turn, can some of the units in the group enter on one turn while other units wait for a later turn? Or, must all the units in that group enter on the same turn? I think A2.5 means the latter, but I found a discussion of this question from a while ago that did not seem to end with a definitive answer - http://www.gamesquad.com/forums/index.php?threads/delayed-entry.104362/

Surprised that in my search through the Q&A this has not come up.

I'm playing a scenario that allows me that option, and we are playing it that once any unit from a group sets up to enter all units in the group must do so as well. Are we right?
I believe that if the entry instructions do not specify that all must enter on the same turn, then you are free to split them up for entry overal several turns.

Examples of where it is specified:
Scenario HS33:
Enter on/after Turn 5 along the south edge; all units must enter on the same turn:

Scenario 66:
Elements of Company I, 3rd Battalion, 158th RCT enter on/after Turn 7 (but all on the same turn) along the east edge of board 35:

Last edited: