A15.42 Last Sentence???

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Doing some late-evening rulebook reading and came across something I cannot decipher. A15.42, last sentence.

"However, a berserk unit never receives the leadership benefit of a friendly leader even if this deprives Good Order units of such benefits."

I may be missing something simple, or perhaps exotic, but I cannot posit a circumstance where the red-highlighted text would apply during play. In what situation might this apply? [Long day so it might be obvious to everyone but me!]

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
I'm thinking a same hex fire group. Multiple squads but only one of them is berserk. If one of the units is berserk , then none of the units gets to use the leader modifier if the berserker is going to fire.

Seth
Annnnnddd, there it is! Not too terribly uncommon of a situation, but it just wasn't coming to me. Thanks. 👍

Paul John

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This sounds like it would apply to ambush and CC as well, if GO units joined in after a berserker charged in.
I have never noticed that line, and haven't played it that way, but ...

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this is interesting all of a sudden!

Seems like the end of A15.42 Morale is a weird place to put a seemingly all encompassing leadership rule?

I also never knew / remembered that in A11.141 it is actually spelled out that the Berserker prevents Leader DRM use on a CC attack!

Seth

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Good stuff you guys. The CC circumstance is not common, but also not unheard-of. There's a couple of more high-lights for my rule book,

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Well this is interesting all of a sudden!

Seems like the end of A15.42 Morale is a weird place to put a seemingly all encompassing leadership rule?

I also never knew / remembered that in A11.141 it is actually spelled out that the Berserker prevents Leader DRM use on a CC attack!

Seth
If the leader is paired with the Berzerk unit.

The Firing with the Berzerk unit in a fire phase is most likely going to be limited to DFF/DFph

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Interesting that it applies only to Leadership DRM and not to Heroic DRM. There is also no requirement that Heroic DRM be used on GO units (that I found on brief perusal), so Hero DRM can be used on Berserkers, even as part of a FG.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting that it applies only to Leadership DRM and not to Heroic DRM. There is also no requirement that Heroic DRM be used on GO units (that I found on brief perusal), so Hero DRM can be used on Berserkers, even as part of a FG.

It's because Heroes don't direct fire. The hero just gets the -1 when he fires. Same reason that a Hero -1 applies to multi hex FG.

The hero is just so damn good at doing his thing that there is a neg one applied just because he is involved. 👍 🆒

Seth

volgaG68

Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
It was only somewhat recently that I stumbled upon the same 'perusal' as you. I don't recall how a Hero and a zerker (same side) got involved in a CC/Melee together, but when I wanted to have them attack together with Hero modification, I had to do a quick rules dive. Seeing that the prohibition against such was not for a SMC, but for a Leader only, I modified away! In-game, I did not find the time nor brain cells to extrapolate the same thing for FGs. So, I appreciate your post putting it into print.

Which brings up another side-bar.....how often in the rules you have to carefully watch for whether they say leader, Hero, or SMC. I've seen it all, including an oppo trying to have a Hero accompany a brokie in the RtPh.