A14.22 and A14.23

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After the Sniper Random Location DR, the closest unit is a concealed Enemy BU AFV. Is the concealed AFV automatically selected and, and if so, I would assume that it loses concealment? Or does the AFV owner have to specify whether the AFV is BU, and if so, the next closest eligible target hex is selected?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
An AFV with no vulnerable PRC is not an eligible target.

14.22 NON-TARGETS: All units are eligible Sniper targets except AFV with no Vulnerable PRC, units in subterranean [EXC: Caves; G11.8] or Interior-Building Locations, prisoners, or hidden/friendly/Aerial units.
I would think that the owner of the AFV must declare it as an uneligible target.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Now let us assume the AFV would be CE, i.e. has a vulnerable Crew. Even if there would be other units in the same Location, you could now per the A14.2 Exception select that vulnerable Crew without having to roll Random Selection.

If the said CE AFV would be Concealed, though, then Random Selection between the Concealed units (all of them treated as one option) and non-concealed units would apply and you cannot immediately select the CE concealed AFV (even if you can conclude it must be one).

If the said CE AFV and all other units in the hex are Concealed, then I am not sure:
You'd probably have to specify the number of elegible targets but I think you do not need to state whether the Concealed AFV is CE or not. As a consequence, I think that you cannot specifically select the CE AFV but only hit it via the normal Random Selection process.

Thoughts?

von Marwitz

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
If the said CE AFV and all other units in the hex are Concealed, then I am not sure:
You'd probably have to specify the number of elegible targets but I think you do not need to state whether the Concealed AFV is CE or not. As a consequence, I think that you cannot specifically select the CE AFV but only hit it via the normal Random Selection process.

Thoughts?

von Marwitz
I agree and think this is pretty well what is stated in A14.23:

A14.23 ...Then, if a concealed stack is chosen as the sniper's target (either per the above Random Selection or if all units are concealed), the sniper player's opponent must declare the number (only) of eligible possible targets that stack contains. If it contains none (i.e., is a Dummy stack), it is automatically eliminated. If it contains one, that unit is selected. If it contains two or more, the player rolls for Random Selection accordingly.​

Reaction score
First name
Ricardo
Country
llSpain
This is what happened in my game: sniper attacks a hex (1 in the SAN) with three eligible units, all concealed. Random selection ends up selecting two of the three units: in the hex there is a CE half truck carrying a 9-2 leader and a squad. The randomly selected units were the half truck and the leader. Now, my questions are:
Do I have to inform my opponent of the two possible targets before he chooses one?
Should I simply inform him that one of the targets is an inherent crew?
Should I say nothing and he would have to choose blindfold?
Remember that all the units are concealed.
I decided to tell him about both units, and he chose to kill the leader. But I wanted to check whether I did the right thing.
Thanks in advance!

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Q&A:

A14.23
My sniper finds a concealed stack out of my LOS with two targets. RS comes up doubles. What info about the two targets do I get
before I choose between them? Is the answer the same if the target was IN LOS from GO unit?
A. None. Yes.

KenYoung

ASLKWAD
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
But ...

Q: If one had a Concealed Truck and a Concealed OT AFV equidistant from a sniper Random Location DR hex, does the sniper player get to know which of the two hexes contains an optionally ineligible target before deciding the target hex (e.g. the concealed units player says something like "hex A5 contains an ignorable eligible target”)?

A: Essentially.

....Perry
MMP