A14.2 [EXC] and A14.31

Mastadon61

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi All,

A14.2 [EXC: prior to Random Selection, the Sniper may choose one of the following as its target: the enemy Sniper counter;...

A14.31 vs SNIPER: An enemy Sniper can be attacked ... or if its Sniper counter is selected as the target of an enemy Sniper attack.

Here's the situation. SAN activation moves exactly on to a hex with a leader, squad, and the enemy SAN. RS between leader and squad, leader gets hit. Did not choose to select the enemy Sniper prior to the RS. Here's what I"m not sure of. It's the A14.31 "selected" word. Is that selected as in the A14.2 selection or is it selected as in Random Selection or is it both.

My interpretation is that because A14.31 says "selected" and not "selected by Random Selection", the enemy Sniper may be ignored if one chooses.

Thanks for your help, as always, it's greatly appreciated.

Don Hancock

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
No eRB handy, so I can't look things up to support this, but I've always played it that the sniper counter must be rolled for as well if it's not selected by the player. I believe it's an eligible target and therefore may be chosen by random selection.

I think where A14.31 uses the term 'selected' it includes both random selection and active selection.

To be honest, though, it's not come up very often that I can recall and it's the sort of thing I'd miss or not worry about sufficiently to look up.

Ole Boe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
You did right, the enemy Sniper is not part of a RS roll, if its to be the target, it must either be alone or be deliberately selected.

The definite answer is found by looking at A14.2 just before the exception you quoted:

"Should the target Location be occupied by > one eligible (14.22) target, use Random Selection..."

...and then at A14.22 that defines eligible targets. The Sniper counter is not one of those, and is therefore never part of the Random Selection DR.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
It's a good thing that Ole's around to correct my errors (within a minute, too!)
Another new thing learnt this week, and a damn sight easier to deal with than the weird dense jungle/indirect fire ruling... :)

Serge

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Chris Milne said:
It's a good thing that Ole's around to correct my errors (within a minute, too!)
Another new thing learnt this week, and a damn sight easier to deal with than the weird dense jungle/indirect fire ruling... :)
But there is a common thread - I'm on the receiving end of both of these! :^)
Serge