(A14.1) Snipers

Priest

Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2003
Messages
2,132
Reaction score
4
Location
Denver, Colorado
I'm still having some problems with the sniper rules, can some one explain this to me in easy to understand words? What happens when you roll your SAN.
 

Johnny Canuck

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2003
Messages
967
Reaction score
1
Location
Vancouver, BC
Country
llCanada
As per A14.1 (ASLRBv1)

Nothing happens when you roll your SAN.

Bad things can happen to you when you roll your enemy's SAN.
 

Johnny Canuck

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2003
Messages
967
Reaction score
1
Location
Vancouver, BC
Country
llCanada
Priest said:
OK, so what happens when yoy roll your opponents SAN?
Bad things can happen when you roll your opponent's SAN when making a TH, MC, TC and a few other things I don't know about.
If you roll their SAN during these checks, you:

1) Resolve the original action, (such as MC) first.

2) Then you check to see if the sniper was activated by rolling a dr as per A14.3.

If you rolled an original 1, then you eliminate SMC or break an MMC.
If you rolled an original 2, then you wound the SMC and pin an MMC.
Otherwise, no snipering, so stop here.

3) Then you roll a DR to find direction/distance (I use C1.31 as an example). Move the sniper accordingly.

4) Move the sniper to the closest stack (attacker picks).

5) Roll a dr for each unit in the stack. Unit(s) rolling the highest # get hit with the effect you'd rolled in #2 above.

That's my simplified view of snipers, and there's lots of exceptions and variations beyond my limited comprehension.

Hopefully this is right.
 
Last edited:

Chris Milne

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
675
Reaction score
3
Location
Letchworth, UK
Country
ll
Slight amendment to Andrew's list, which is otherwise correct. In step 4, the sniper will always go for the closest legitimate target (e.g., BU AFVs aren't, and unarmed unarmoured vehicles can be ignored if desired). Ties are broken by low TEM. If still tied, then the sniper's owner gets to choose.

When rolling to see which unit is affected, you might get several. In this case, one is affected by the original roll, and another sniper effect dr is made for the other(s).

There's also the possibility of a Sniper Check after it's all been resolved, but you don't see them very often...

Sniper attacks can only be triggered during the PFPh, MPh, DFPh, and AFPh, and then only by TH, MC, TC, IFT (EXC: OBA), and Entrenching rolls.
 

Jeff H

Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2003
Messages
66
Reaction score
2
Location
Leyland, England
Country
ll
While on the subject of triggering snipers :

Am I right in playing that a roll for effects on the IFT for an ordnance hit can trigger a sniper as well as the original TH roll ?
i.e. possibly two sniper effects from the one attack.

I've played it that way as that's how the rule reads; specifically only excluding OBA from the IFT rolls, but maybe I'm missing something because that seems like two chances from one attack ?

..... Thanks in advance.
 

da priest

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2003
Messages
2,783
Reaction score
8
Location
Lebanon, Mo., turn r
Jeff H said:
While on the subject of triggering snipers :

Am I right in playing that a roll for effects on the IFT for an ordnance hit can trigger a sniper as well as the original TH roll ?
i.e. possibly two sniper effects from the one attack.

I've played it that way as that's how the rule reads; specifically only excluding OBA from the IFT rolls, but maybe I'm missing something because that seems like two chances from one attack ?

..... Thanks in advance.
Yep two bites of the apple (if you get the Hit). :)
 

da priest

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2003
Messages
2,783
Reaction score
8
Location
Lebanon, Mo., turn r
Alrite you newbies are coming close, but don't forget:

1. If you roll a 1 or 2 your FIRST decision is: Do I move my Sniper counter to a better place and forfeit the attack? :D

2. When checking distances to targets: The enemy Sniper is a valid target too! :eek:
 

CPRad

Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2003
Messages
766
Reaction score
0
Location
New Brunswick Canada
Country
llCanada
Priest said:
I'm still having some problems with the sniper rules, can some one explain this to me in easy to understand words? What happens when you roll your SAN.

I have a question about Snipers ... once the sniper is activated, (we are both in the same bldg, he rolled a DR 1, 1.) If he decided to break my MMC do I have to rout out of that bldg?

Thanks
 

Commissar Piotr

War Pig
Joined
Nov 14, 2003
Messages
1,250
Reaction score
11
Location
Kista
Country
llSweden
That depends if you are forced to by the rout rules.
You may disregard the building you are in when determining where to you hav to rout, in other words closest wodds/building in MF with some adjustment for where there is enemy units OBA/Minefields and so forth.
You could also stay in the building if you are not ADJACENT to a Known enemy unit.

Peter Rogneholt
 

tommyl

Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
250
Reaction score
35
Location
Camillus, NY
Country
llCongo
CPRad said:
I have a question about Snipers ... once the sniper is activated, (we are both in the same bldg, he rolled a DR 1, 1.) If he decided to break my MMC do I have to rout out of that bldg?

Thanks
If you are asking if the Sniper is forcing you to rout, then no. Snipers are not units (A14.01 last sentence) and so by itself cannot force you to rout. Because the attack grants DM status though, you have the option to rout if you want - that could be advantageous in some situations.

The presence of other, ADJACENT unbroken and armed uints would force you to rout.
 

CPRad

Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2003
Messages
766
Reaction score
0
Location
New Brunswick Canada
Country
llCanada
Commissar Piotr said:
That depends if you are forced to by the rout rules.
You may disregard the building you are in when determining where to you hav to rout, in other words closest wodds/building in MF with some adjustment for where there is enemy units OBA/Minefields and so forth.
You could also stay in the building if you are not ADJACENT to a Known enemy unit.

Peter Rogneholt
Thanks Peter.

The only enemy unit(KEU) in this case is the sniper. I'll read the rout rules and see if snipers are considered enemy units per say.

Larry
 

CPRad

Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2003
Messages
766
Reaction score
0
Location
New Brunswick Canada
Country
llCanada
tommyl said:
If you are asking if the Sniper is forcing you to rout, then no. Snipers are not units (A14.01 last sentence) and so by itself cannot force you to rout. Because the attack grants DM status though, you have the option to rout if you want - that could be advantageous in some situations.

The presence of other, ADJACENT unbroken and armed uints would force you to rout.

Ooops!, sorry Tommy, didn't see your post.

You've answered my exact concern.

Thanks

Larry
 

wiretwister63

Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2004
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Location
Alabama
Country
llUnited States
check my sniper procedure:

SAN is a 7 for Belgians. A Ruskie rolls a 7 on an MC the Belgian sniper is activated. I roll a 1. then I roll two die, colored die for direction, white die distance.

I move my sniper marker, the full distance rolled? Or just to the closest target?

after i resolve the attack does my sniper get replaced as per the placement rules ( I know this happens if I rolled a >2)?

DJ
 

wiretwister63

Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2004
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Location
Alabama
Country
llUnited States
what happens when an enemy unit moves into the sniper hex? Is the sniper repositioned?

Is the only way to permanetly lose a sniper if the SAN drops below 2?
 

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Messages
6,267
Reaction score
532
Location
Catonsville, MD
Country
llUnited States
wiretwister63 said:
check my sniper procedure:

SAN is a 7 for Belgians. A Ruskie rolls a 7 on an MC the Belgian sniper is activated. I roll a 1. then I roll two die, colored die for direction, white die distance.

I move my sniper marker, the full distance rolled? Or just to the closest target?

DJ
The full distance, and then to the closet target from that point.

wiretwister63 said:
after i resolve the attack does my sniper get replaced as per the placement rules ( I know this happens if I rolled a >2)?
DJ
Not sure what you mean here, but the Sniper stays in the hex it attacks after the attack has been resolved.
 
Last edited:

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Joined
Jan 28, 2003
Messages
6,267
Reaction score
532
Location
Catonsville, MD
Country
llUnited States
wiretwister63 said:
what happens when an enemy unit moves into the sniper hex? Is the sniper repositioned?
No; the Sniper is not affected in any way by enemy movement into its hex.

wiretwister63 said:
Is the only way to permanetly lose a sniper if the SAN drops below 2?
Yes.
 

wiretwister63

Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2004
Messages
83
Reaction score
0
Location
Alabama
Country
llUnited States
Originally Posted by wiretwister63
after i resolve the attack does my sniper get replaced as per the placement rules ( I know this happens if I rolled a >2)?
DJ

Not sure what you mean here, but the Sniper stays in the hex it attacks after the attack has been resolved.
OKay I reread the rule on a roll of >2 the attack does not take place and the sniper stays put.

If per a sniper check my sniper is affected I reposition it per the sniper placement rule( within six hexes of six enemy occupied hexes.)
 
Top