A12.31-.32 Voluntary Loss of HIP

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I submitted a Q&A to MMP on 3 April 2017, and received a response today. The questions were raised in a least two threads, the earlier of the two in 2014.

AP84 Double Trouble board configuration
A12.34 Hidden Gun

My questions and Perry's answers (in green type) below:
A12.14, and A12.3

According to A12.14, “The owning player can voluntarily remove any concealment at any time during his or his opponent’s Player Turn [EXC: between when a Sniper target hex Random Location DR (14.2) is made and the Sniper counter is relocated].”

1a. If, as A12.3 states, “Hidden Status is considered the equal of concealment except as otherwise specified,” may a hidden unit sacrifice its hidden status and become concealed “at any time,” in accordance with A12.14?

1b. If not, when may a hidden unit voluntarily forfeit its hidden status?

A. 1a. Yes.

A12.31
A12.31 states that: “A revealed hidden unit is totally discovered; it is not placed on board beneath a “?” unless specifically stated by a rule covering that particular situation (e.g., 11.19, 12.15, 152, .153, .32, .34).”

2a. Does “revealed” in this context refer only to the involuntarily forfeiture of hidden status (e.g., due to enemy action, overstacking, friendly OBA, etc.)? Or does it also apply to the voluntary forfeiture of hidden status?

2b. If “revealed” in this context also applies to the voluntary forfeiture of hidden status, is the placement of a formerly hidden unit on board an automatic “concealment-loss activity,” regardless of enemy LOS, when such placement is not covered by one of the rules specified in A12.31?

A. 2a. Involuntary.

A12.32
3a. May a hidden unit not in enemy LOS voluntarily sacrifice its hidden status, and become concealed in order to perform some action (e.g., Deploy during the RPh, Entrench during the PFPh, Place SMOKE during the MPh, voluntarily break a MMC in order to rout with a still concealed/hidden leader, transfer a weapon during the APh, etc.), or to undertake no activity at all during that phase? Or is the unit “totally discovered” the moment it sacrifices its hidden status under these circumstances?

3b. May a hidden unit in enemy LOS voluntarily sacrifice its hidden status, and become concealed in order to perform a non-concealment loss activity, or no activity at all during that phase? Or is the unit “totally discovered” the moment it sacrifices its hidden status under these circumstances?

A. 3a. & 3b. The former in both cases.

Last edited:

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
on question 3 what does he mean by "The former in both cases."??? I'm having a little trouble gorking the questions.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
on question 3 what does he mean by "The former in both cases."??? I'm having a little trouble gorking the questions.
The former in both cases refers to the first sentences in the either-or questions posed in 3a. and 3b. (The latter in both cases would have referred to the sentences that begin with "Or.")

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The essential takeaway is that at any time during play (i.e., not during pre-game activities covered under the ASOP), a Hidden unit may sacrifice its Hidden status voluntarily in order to become concealed [EXC: between when a Sniper target hex Random Location DR (14.2) is made and the Sniper counter is relocated]. Thereafter, concealment loss applies normally, with certain exceptions for firing Hidden/Concealed Guns.