A12.152 Searching

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Part of this rule says "All Searched hexes (including all above-ground) Locations in those hexes) automatically revel their contents, including the presence of minefields (but not their type and strength) and Fortified Buildings."

My worhty opponent believes a Search will still reveal units in RB Cellars. After all, this is not specifically excluded in A12.152.

I think that the rule isn't super-well worded, but its intention is to prevent searching of below-ground Locations. i.e. you can't search cellars in adjacent hexes.

Who's correct?

Phil Palmer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jay White said:
Part of this rule says "All Searched hexes (including all above-ground) Locations in those hexes) automatically revel their contents, including the presence of minefields (but not their type and strength) and Fortified Buildings."

My worhty opponent believes a Search will still reveal units in RB Cellars. After all, this is not specifically excluded in A12.152.

I think that the rule isn't super-well worded, but its intention is to prevent searching of below-ground Locations. i.e. you can't search cellars in adjacent hexes.

Who's correct?
I think you are trying to read too much into the rule. While it states
"(including all above-ground locations)", it doesn't exclude other locations,
or 'only including all above-ground locations', and technically doesn't say that ground level locations are included in the search either. Look at the beginning of 12.152--is say "may attempt to reveal conealed enemy units in Accessible
hexes. . .", so I think the intent of the rule is to allow the search to reveal
concealed units in any locations in an Accessible hex.

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
seems wierd that they would even say "above-ground locations" then, doesn't it?

I can see it both ways.

-Jay

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jay White said:
seems wierd that they would even say "above-ground locations" then, doesn't it?

I can see it both ways.

-Jay

They are saying that even locations on levels 1, 2, or 3 would be revealed - which many might consider an anomoly since no one even went up a stairwell

In other word, the HEX must be accessable, but not necessarily all LOCATIONS within that hex need to be accessable.

Last edited:

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jay White said:

Who's correct?

The "above ground" part is intended to exclude subterranean locations (tunnels, sewers, caves, cave complexes). Cellars are not subterranean locations. They are -1 level, but that is like a depression (i.e., like a gully). A gully location wouldn't be excluded and neither would a cellar.

J P

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dont forget, you can make them pay by using A12.154 Search casualties. (as it seems you have a HIP in there)

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jay White said:
You both are, sorta. It is to prevent searching of below-ground locations, but a cellar is not a below ground location. The rule is phrased badly and should say "non-subterranean" not "above ground". Check out the index for a definition of subterranean.