A11, A12 & E1.4. CC, ? and Cloaking Mechanics

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hello!

Just wondering how the above play out when it comes to the CC phase?
I have just advanced cloaked units into hexes containg concealed enemy units.
When it comes to the CC phase who has to show a real unit first before we roll for ambush, or does this happen after the ambush dr, or even at all?

Cheers

Chris

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
A11, A12 & E1.4. CC, ? Cloaking Mechanics

Cloacking is nothing else then an other (special) kind of Concealment.

NRBH, but we play it that the cloacked Attacker must announce a real units if entering an enemy occupied location during the APh first. Then the concealed Defender does the same. Both sides roll for Ambush. If the cloacked unit ambushs the Defender, it may opt to retain its cloacking status and withdraw cloacked. If it decides to fight it is automatically revealed. If it decides not to fight, but to stay in the location and hold Concealement, it is revealed (to allow making combat odds) and then stays under a Concealment counter.

Hope that helps.

CK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Christian

Thats the way I think it should be played. Though I think if the ATTACKER ambushes the DEFENDER they get the chance to whack them and if they succeed in eliminating all the DEFENDER's units they'll maintain cloaking (E1.43). The same goes for concealment (A11.4).

Trouble is, I couldn't find any rules references to support the mechanics of the whole thing! I'm sure I've read this somewhere though!!

Chris

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Chris Netherton said:
Hi Christian

Thats the way I think it should be played. Though I think if the ATTACKER ambushes the DEFENDER they get the chance to whack them and if they succeed in eliminating all the DEFENDER's units they'll maintain cloaking (E1.43). The same goes for concealment (A11.4).

Trouble is, I couldn't find any rules references to support the mechanics of the whole thing! I'm sure I've read this somewhere though!!

Chris
If the cloaked unit (DEFENDER or ATTACKER) successfully ambushes and eliminates the opposing force they can retain their cloaked status. In general cloaking is lost for all the same reasons that '?' could be lost at night:
"E1.43 LOSS: Cloaked status is lost, and replaced by its unconcealed actual contents (if any), for any situation that would cause one or more of its units to lose concealment at night (1.31; 1.72), and for making any attack other than a successful Ambush. Once removed, Cloaking counters cannot be regained."