A10.51 routing away

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I would like to know for sure how to read this. My broken 7-0 leader DM was in Z1, ADJACENT to KEU. Can I route to Z7 in the building, I do not face interdiction while doing so although I will go from a woods hex to another woods hex, then OG and final for 6MF to building in Z7. Can I do such a move?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JGilbert said:
I would like to know for sure how to read this. My broken 7-0 leader DM was in Z1, ADJACENT to KEU. Can I route to Z7 in the building, I do not face interdiction while doing so although I will go from a woods hex to another woods hex, then OG and final for 6MF to building in Z7. Can I do such a move?
I cannot tell from the picture what the situation is as it is too small and there are information counters on some stacks hiding their i.d..

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I can't read the hex numbers well enough to understand the situation. Is Z1 the woods half-hexes in the centre (horizontally) and on the edge between the boards?

If so, I don't think you could rout to the building. AA1 is a closer rout target and is not moving closer to a KEU, nor is it equidistant from a KEU and therefore able to be excluded from target caluclations.

Also, while you can continue routing in rout terrain (woods, buildings) and don't have to stop in the first such hex you enter (all other things being equal), you can never leave woods/buildings again and rout in the open once you have already entered a woods/building hex in your routing.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Here is a bit better picture. -- jim

Last edited:

Countertroll

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, you can not do such a move.
There are a number of reasons.
1) you need to go to the nearest woods/building in MF. That would be AA1 or Z10. (A10.51. page A24, 11th line)
Looking further in A10.51, you can't route to another location "...unless the unit can directly enter another building/woods location in its next entered hex."
There are a few exceptions listed after that, but your picture does not describe any of them.

Last edited:

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks, after reading it again and again, Jim pointed out that it only applies to a building situation...

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yes - somewhere in A 10.5 (NRBH) is is allowed to totally leave the building the brokie started its rout.

Josh

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yeah, down towards the bottom A10.51, it is in a [EXC...] which says you can leave a building, go to OG then go back to woods or building further away not exceeding 6MF. I was in the woods and this EXC. only mentioned leaving a building and going into OG. I am not sure why it would not apply to a woods hex also :(

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
JGilbert said:
Yeah, down towards the bottom A10.51, it is in a [EXC...] which says you can leave a building, go to OG then go back to woods or building further away not exceeding 6MF. I was in the woods and this EXC. only mentioned leaving a building and going into OG. I am not sure why it would not apply to a woods hex also :(
The reason why it does not apply to woods is that we COWTRA :) .

Perhaps the designer/developer had another "realism" reason in mind when writing the rules, but of course I dont now this reason.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
COWTRA = Concentrate on What The Rules Allow. :)

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cowtra

'Concentrate On What The Rules Allow'... a concept that means that just because the rules don't say you can't do something, doesn't mean you *can* do it. Concentrate on what the rules specifically allow or disallow. In your case, they say you can leave a building, but don't say anything about woods, so you assume you *can* leave a building, but *not* wooods, as the rules don't specifically allow it. It's a pretty fuzzy concept in a lot of cases.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Neato. I always understood the rule to be that you could vacate a building *hex*. Didn't realize you could ignore all the hexes of the building. Very useful.

CHERDE

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
zgrose:

what means "neato" ?

Your respectable knowledge about buildings can be further enhanced by careful study of the EX to B23.1.:devious: