A10.5 Routing

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a situation where a broken leader and squad, who have an enemy squad adjacent, can only route to an adjacent building hex. They would cause the building hex to become overstacked by a HS. A10.5, 3rd sentence says: "Broken units must route away during that RPh or be eliminated for failure to route." Does the "or" in that sentence imply that I have the option to just flat out not route them and force their elimination? In this case it may be beneficial for me to do just that.

Warman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the spirit of the sentence is that if you can not rout, you are elminated. :cry: I think you have to rout if you can. I would say it does not give you the option to stay and die.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Warman is right, IMO.
Overstacking doesn't create a failure to rout situation (unless it makes such a MF augmentation that it becomes impossible to enter the Location).
Note A 10.5 phrasing :
" Broken units must rout away (ATTACKER first - one unit at a time [EXC: Voluntary Rout; 10.711) during that RtPh or be eliminated for Failure to Rout [EXC: Surrender; 20.21]."
They must rout, unless it is impossible.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Robin is right. In the light of the must, the "or" should be read as "or else they will". They must rout, otherwise these are the consequences if they cannot.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it so bad to overstack in this situation? Will you lose some concealment or something?

If the building hex that is going to be overstacked is part of the same building the brokies start their RtPh in, you may ignore it as the "closest building/woods" and be able to continue the brokies' rout further along somewhere else. You may also continue the rout if there is another building/woods hex adjacent to the now-overstacked Location.

It seems strange to me that you'd want to eliminate a unit just to avoid overstacking, but I don't know the whole situation you're in.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rout the leader first. He won't create an overstacking situation. If he can continue to rout, his not expending extra MF to rout into that location may permit him to continue, while the broken MMC may not.

--one unit at a time--

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems strange to me that you'd want to eliminate a unit just to avoid overstacking, but I don't know the whole situation you're in.
The guys in the building will become surrounded in the subsequent advanced phase and I will need to shoot out at the bad guys in my upcoming prep fire phase. I don't want the +1 penalty for such fire. I would rather have the guys die in place and avoid overstacking.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ChrisBuehler said:
Ouch! Not a good situation for the Russians!

Chris
No it wasn't they all routed into Gunfire and died. :smoke:
Yea I'm playing the Germans. Of course the only reason I won is the Dice gods shined on me. :p