A VASL Option for Tournaments while dealing with a pandemic

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I've been in on two virtual tournaments since this pestilence started.

The German Conscripts tournament was excellent. For me, I like interacting with the other players. Having a zoom space where we got together during and between games was the key to making this an excellent experience. Michael Sedlako from Bratislava (whom I finally got to meet last week...) won the Panzerknacker trophy...
View attachment 14888

Nice shot. But what's the name and ID of that scenario which the guy and the girl are handling in the picture? ;)

von Marwitz

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
It's some kind of Slovakian Wolf-Dog. There was a Slovak name for it, but I can't remember it. I had three days in Slovakia and I have NO Slovak language skills. Dobre dyn (Good Day) is close to Russian. Pilo is beer. That's all I know. Bratislava was great and Mikeal was a great host, but in Cachtice it was impossible to get a cup of coffee before 10am. Heathen. I retreated to Austria. Like the Turks. And the Germans.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been in on two virtual tournaments since this pestilence started.

The German Conscripts tournament was excellent. For me, I like interacting with the other players. Having a zoom space where we got together during and between games was the key to making this an excellent experience.
Was this a Zoom room where guys would come and go between games? Or were there certain times everybody went there?
Thanks,
Steve

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Was this a Zoom room where guys would come and go between games? Or were there certain times everybody went there?
Thanks,
Steve
It wasn't Zoom, but Discord. There were certain times when everybody met in the voice chat, because the starting time of each round was fixed, but there were written chat in between, too. If you had a break during your own game, you could watch the other tables, and usually, people lingered around the still active tables for a while when their own games were over. One big advantage of the online format is that you could freely discuss the strategy and decisions of the players still playing, because they couldn't hear you. And because everyone played the same scenario, everyone just knew what was going on on the table.

Reactions: T34

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It appears unlikely that that I'll compete in Bounding Fire next month. Half the fun is giving Martin Myers shit. The other half is beating Pete Phillips.
Tim - don't do it.

Sign up and demand that there is a chat room where we can watch you and Martin "chat":)

But be warned that Pete will be harder to beat when he is sober......................

Reactions: T34

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It wasn't Zoom, but Discord. There were certain times when everybody met in the voice chat, because the starting time of each round was fixed, but there were written chat in between, too. If you had a break during your own game, you could watch the other tables, and usually, people lingered around the still active tables for a while when their own games were over. One big advantage of the online format is that you could freely discuss the strategy and decisions of the players still playing, because they couldn't hear you. And because everyone played the same scenario, everyone just knew what was going on on the table.
If the TD camps out in the Discord server then it would be a fast way to resolve rules questions. Discord is perfect for this use...
Steve

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If the TD camps out in the Discord server then it would be a fast way to resolve rules questions. Discord is perfect for this use...
Steve
Should you decide to go the same route as vASLOK and are not on Discord yet here's the invite to the ASL server https://discord.gg/YZjA9Ja

More than happy to have an Albany (and Albany SK) channel there .. or any other channels you see fit.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Should you decide to go the same route as vASLOK and are not on Discord yet here's the invite to the ASL server https://discord.gg/YZjA9Ja

More than happy to have an Albany (and Albany SK) channel there .. or any other channels you see fit.
I would like to set up a vAlbany channel.
Thanks!
Steve