a use for a recalled AFV???

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are as number of actions on the ASOP before you reach this line:

"...Recalled vehicle must (attempt to) exit (D5.341; G14.232 [EXC: G14.33])...."

which require the use of MF and/or MPs.

Since a recalled AFV must use road movement if possible in order to exit, he must go CE if any roads are in play once he has entered them. If he did not get off map in the one MPh with a CE req'd on a road - he is an eligible sniper target.

Since the ASOP states you can or must do the many items before the recalled AFV moves again, each of which could draw enemy fire from MF/MP expenditure, my contention is that it would be good play to in fact do as many of things as might of benefit to you during that MPh, in order to allow the CE crew to be a SAN target if it occurs, before he rolls off-map forever.

thoughts?

KRL, jon H

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had some drivebys and some luck, that's always fun. Several times I've had lucky crits with recalled AFVs, might as well shoot them like crazy (SAN permitting).

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Since most recalled AFVs have been hit by a '1' attack or IFT fire, they are initially BU, so they can come only CE during their MPh, which limits their role as SAN bait. Of course, if they can stay several turns on the battlefield, that's better, but usually they tend to drive far away from the action -and hence the SAN.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since most recalled AFVs have been hit by a '1' attack or IFT fire, they are initially BU, so they can come only CE during their MPh, which limits their role as SAN bait. Of course, if they can stay several turns on the battlefield, that's better, but usually they tend to drive far away from the action -and hence the SAN.
I agree typically - but most recalls are also good for perhaps a parthian bounding fire shot with a ton of DRMs on the way out and that's about it. Perhaps there is a bit more use for them overall was my thinking.

For me, I think it is good to consider how to squeeze the most out of every AFV in play you have, even the ones bailing out of the fight.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
And if they can make it off board in the phase, move them last, or at least later in the phase, all this assumes you're not counting CVP of course.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I agree typically - but most recalls are also good for perhaps a parthian bounding fire shot with a ton of DRMs on the way out and that's about it.
The Parthian shot would open the way for a Gun Duel for the DEFENDER. Crassus would have loved it.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And if they can make it off board in the phase, move them last, or at least later in the phase, all this assumes you're not counting CVP of course.
if CVP counted against me however, I might well move him first in the hopes of drawing enemy fire at a nearly useless AFV before the guys still in the fight move....

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
if CVP counted against me however, I might well move him first in the hopes of drawing enemy fire at a nearly useless AFV before the guys still in the fight move....
Also a good point, try to soak up some early DFF like a hs swarm does.
A functioning AFV still on map isn't ever completely useless.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use mine mercilessly. CE even if there is no road. MG's/whatever for a bit of extra FP.

Pretty sure that (squeezing out every 2(+1) type attack) is one of the ways guys like Bendis rack up lots of victories. Not really mentioning him for any other reason than he positioned his tanks really well and got a lot of MG shots I didn't anticipate. When that 8 morale unit broke from some low odds shot, he of course knew how to exploit the opening very well. Game over and he rolls on with another victory.

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I use my recalled AFVs to clean the manhattan cherry chards from my teeth.

Rich

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I use my recalled AFVs to clean the manhattan cherry chards from my teeth.

Rich
looks like you forgot our game played on 8.13.2013 RPT 58, Sikh Defiance, for VASLeague. Your attacking Germans obtained an astounding shot with a recalled PSW 232 deciding the scenario in their favor. I have just found the old thread were I reported the game, it was a 1+1 bounding fire that broke a key 457 in woods opening your path to victory.

I still feel the pain, but luckily I never suffered again such an bad experience with an enemy recalled AFVs in the following years althought everyone always tries the "Sunday shot" before leaving the board . These are things that happens in all their violence once in a ASL career .

Last edited:

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's kinda funny when nobody shoots at them. I've driven right through battalions of SS.