A true American Hero

Bruce Childs

Reaction score
On a somber note-

I'd just like to say that I am humbled by the sacrifices selflessly given by the likes of Pat Tillman.

This young man gave up a multi-million dollar contract in the NFL to serve our country, and was killed recently in combat in Afghanistan. I find no words capable of expressing my deep respect for him and others like him.

I am honored to call myself an American because of his sacrifice and selfless devotion to duty he embodies. My deepest sympathy goes out to his family and friends, and those lucky enough to know him.

BC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Amen. He answer a higher call to serve his country at time of need.
I think he and others like him (included wounded) need to be tactfully profied in the news more often--More so that the current crop of reality and make-over shows we now have on TV. I worry that the some in this country is showing apathy to what's going over there, like it was a police action such as Korea.

I'm going to catch a lotta flak here for saying this, but this young man's (and others) keeps striking a chord inside of me. Did you read in the NY Times that just recently pictures of the flag draped caskets returning from Iraq have been released? The excuse was they didn't want to upset the survivors---I say we should see these caskets to remind us of the price our soldiers are paying for a bungled policy in Iraq.

Bush, Rumsfield, Cheney, Delay, and others--They all talk about displaying the will to win over there--Yeah, like they have personal experience in serving in the military, in a war, or that any of thier children or grand children are over there.

No WMDs, No links to 9/11, no way the Iraqi's are ever going to accept democracy--So what are we accomplishing over there? I know the dilemma here--Criticize the war and inadvertanly you appear to disparage the sacrifices made and still being made by our troops--No one wants to make our troops feel like the troops returning from Vietnam --like they fought for nothing. But I think it's a worthwhile to question what the hell our leaders are thinking that we are over there in the first place. If our service men and women are going to fight and die, there sure better be a good reason.

Ok, I got my helmet on, and hunkered down. Let her rip.

Hubbs5

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree Pat Tillman's attitude and sacrifice are truly exceptional in this day and age of "What's in it for me?". He gave up millions of dollars on more than one occasion to make the ultimate sacrifice for his country.

Here's the thing that is great about this country he fought for though. Even though I totally disagree with Washing Machine Charlie on the war in Iraq, I totally support his right to his opinion. No need to hunker down from this post.

I would say though that while any loss of life is regretable, either American or any other nationality, I think Bush has wisely taken the war to the terrorists. I would rather see us deposing Dictators who are in the vein of Stalin and Hitler in their own countries than wait for them to come to our country and have a replay of 9/11 or worse. Even if no WMD are ever found, and I believe they had them, should we wait until they use them on us before we act?

I am not sure how many of you realize this but there were actually 15 to 20 planes that were estimated to be involved in the 9/11 attacks not just the 4 or 5 that were widely known. Bush's quick grounding of all the aircraft saved us from a catastrophe of much worse proportion. This just tells us of the resolve of our enemy. No matter how much we want peace they do not, and we better be as prepared as they are to fight this battle or we will suffer the consequences.

I am sure this post will get me flamed worse than WMC but if you want to know the real story in Iraq listen to the soldiers who are fighting over there and not the news media. Re-enlistments are at record numbers and I don't think that would be happening if they didn't believe in what they are fighting for. After all, like Pat Tillman, our soldiers are not over there for the money. God Bless all of our fighting men and women!

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Greg,

Thank you for being agreeable in disagreeing with me;) I would like to
remark on your comment:

"I would rather see us deposing Dictators who are in the vein of Stalin and in their own countries than wait for them to come to our country and have a replay of 9/11 or worse."

If that's the case, why haven't we invaded Cuba or North Korea for the same reason? Both have oppressive dictators. Both have threaten this country at one time or another. Both desperately need democracy as bad, if not worse, than the Iraqi people. What about Rwana?

Think about the idea of imposing a democratic goverment in Iraq. It took the US a long revolutionary war to gain it's independence. Years later a devasting Civil War challeged, as Lincoln put it, the ideas set forth in the constitution by it's founding fathers. A hundred years later this country went through the Civil Rights struggle to fight for the equality of Black Americans.

So over 200 years America has continued to struggled to fully incorperate the constitution and bill of rights--i.e. "Democracy" for a general term--
on behalf of every American.

So now a country like Iraq, with no seperation between church and state,
with a religous culture going back a 1000 years of more, is going to be jump started into a democratic form of government by this summer, just because we pulled down it's wretched dictator from power? At least that's the story Bush wants us to now accept, since the war has failed to produce the WMD's (that was the trumpted reason in the first place to invade Iraq) or seriously curtail the ist's activities.

Anyway, I heartly agree with your comment. God Bless our service men and service women.

da priest

Reaction score
Well isn't that special, two guys have taken a sad/proud moment involving the death of one of our soldiers and converted it to politics as usual... :evil:

way to go guys, way to go, makes me proud to be an ASLer.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, that's very self righteous--I guess we shouldn't question why they are dying over there--"Ours is not to reason why" mentality. We should just go on with business as usual. If it's considered be political to be angry over the that, well, I guess I fit the bill.

This is off-topic forum--I didn't think a discussion on any topic, in a forum designated as such, had anything to do with being a good "ALSer"

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, self-righteous is the person who takes any occasion, no matter how solemn, as an opportunity to express their political/philosophical views, regardless of which end of the political spectrum they may exist, and becomes morally indignant if anyone questions the appropriateness of the timing. Sure you have the right to your views and to express them, and God bless you for it and that you live in a society where that is tolerated, but Jeez, can't someone express their respect for someone who died doing what they clearly felt was their duty without it having to turn into a forum for your political beliefs?

It's the same mindset that tries to turn Sen. Paul Wellstone's memorial service into a political rally, or that leads the born-again to evangelize to someone completely unbidden in their time of greatest hardship.

If Pat Tillman had been a very public proponent of your position, then sure it'd be appropriate to use his untimely death as a basis for your rant. But since that doesn't appear to have been the case, then your response indicates a desire to use his untimely passing to advance your own political views. Yep, you have the freedom to express your views, and I have the freedom to think the timing and location was inappropriate. That's the great thing about this country.

And the great thing about ASL. I'd still be happy to sit across the gameboard from you. Diversity of opinion is a wonderful thing. :)

Sorry to keep this off topic. The original topic was the selfless sacrifice made by Pat Tillman and many others. I have the greatest respect for all of them, affected in absolutely no way by any political beliefs I or others may have.

Pete

Treadhead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pat Tillman truly epitomizes "sacrifice" and "patriotic". This was a man who can rightly be called a hero. He is fully deserving of all the honor and respect this country can give him.

I am saddened at the loss, and feel for all those who knew and loved him.

I am also mindful that we only know about his specific case because the U.S. culture tends to elevate its celebrities (sports, music, film) to a level that is too often disproportionate to their contributions to society.

It is a shame that this same culture does not afford equal honor to all of its fallen soldiers, regardless of their backgrounds. I am disheartened that we do not know the names and stories of the hundreds of other soldiers who have paid the ultimate price.

Please let us remember that ours is a volunteer army. ALL members of the armed forces have made the choice to be there, and ALL have made a sacrifice of some form or another.

It is altogether proper that Pat Tillman is afforded a hero's eulogy. But let us not relegate our other killed soldiers to the back page, and let us not pretend that soldiers' coffins are not arriving at our shores almost daily.

With deepest respect,
Bruce Bakken