A to Q on A25.75 Captured Use Penalties

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Q In certain cases, such as A25.75, the rules say captured use penalties do not apply. Is the weapon also able to be repaired due to no captured use penalties?

A In the cited instance, yes.
....Perry
MMP

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Again, for the unwashed masses that inexplicably haven't memorized the ASLRB, here's the rule.

"A25.75 CAPTURED EQUIPMENT: Finnish Personnel may use Russian MG [EXC: LMG in 1939; .50-cal HMG] and Russian Personnel may use Finnish "(r)" MG without Captured Use penalties (21.11-.12, E1.76), Germans may use Finnish-color PSK (and vice-versa [EXC: 25.77]) without Captured Use penalties."

von Marwitz

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Again, for the unwashed masses that inexplicably haven't memorized the ASLRB, here's the rule.

"A25.75 CAPTURED EQUIPMENT: Finnish Personnel may use Russian MG [EXC: LMG in 1939; .50-cal HMG] and Russian Personnel may use Finnish "(r)" MG without Captured Use penalties (21.11-.12, E1.76), Germans may use Finnish-color PSK (and vice-versa [EXC: 25.77]) without Captured Use penalties."

von Marwitz
One of my favorite SL concepts was the American GI's love for captured equipment. Sigh.

Rag Tag Circus epitomized that and was a fun scenario.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One of my favorite SL concepts was the American GI's love for captured equipment. Sigh.

However, in most cases captured equipment wasn't used for extended periods nor extensively except in some specialized units or circumstances {See initial OB for Co C 504 PIR at Cheneux in KGP for example}. Audie Murphy may have picked up an MG 34/42 for a bit to wipe out an enemy position but he certainly wouldn't want to keep it as part of his Sqd/Plt's MTO&E for any period of time. Infantrymen, especially, would be able to tell friendly from foe by the sounds of their weapons fire, and positive ID of the enemy wasn't exactly a rule of engagement back then. It was kind of like my dad used to say to hunters that would come up on him in the woods and bother him by asking if he'd seen much. He some times replied, "Nope, haven't seen much but got a lot of good sound shots off!"

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
True also in Vietnam, some GIs liked the captured AK47s for a host of reasons, but downside was the sound signature could bring friendly fire.

Last edited:

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
However, in most cases captured equipment wasn't used for extended periods nor extensively except in some specialized units or circumstances {See initial OB for Co C 504 PIR at Cheneux in KGP for example}. Audie Murphy may have picked up an MG 34/42 for a bit to wipe out an enemy position but he certainly wouldn't want to keep it as part of his Sqd/Plt's MTO&E for any period of time. Infantrymen, especially, would be able to tell friendly from foe by the sounds of their weapons fire, and positive ID of the enemy wasn't exactly a rule of engagement back then. It was kind of like my dad used to say to hunters that would come up on him in the woods and bother him by asking if he'd seen much. He some times replied, "Nope, haven't seen much but got a lot of good sound shots off!"
Lol! Well another bubble burst by the sharp end of reality!😔

Still a fun scenario though!😊

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Did they make that into an ASL scenario?
Lol! Well another bubble burst by the sharp end of reality!😔

Still a fun scenario though!😊
They used many German weapons at Pegasus Bridge though. The Paratroopers preferred them to their own weapons.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

They used many German weapons at Pegasus Bridge though. The Paratroopers preferred them to their own weapons.
The Archive has it as U 48.

I believe it was mentioned in a recent thread where the OP was going to play all the U scenarios chronologically.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States

The Purist is looking for opponents for the U scenarios so maybe you two could play this one.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Some cool pictures on The Google of the 83rd and their Circus but OMOOT can't upload them.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes In the ASL Scenario Bundle 3: Rivers To The Reich it was redone as U48 (Adaptation by Jim Stahler).
I would doubt they went after the K-98s probably as much as the MG34/42s or even the MP38/40 SMG. If I had to venture a scientific wild ass guess it would be because of the higher ROF of the MG34/42, availability of copious amounts of ammunition lying about (an item usually not possessed in great amounts for inherent weapon systems [EXC: The Sten and the MP38/40 fired a comparable 9x19mm ammo with about an equal ROF and effective engagement ranges]), and the fact they were pretty much on their own in a limited battle space.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes In the ASL Scenario Bundle 3: Rivers To The Reich it was redone as U48 (Adaptation by Jim Stahler).

I would doubt they went after the K-98s probably as much as the MG34/42s or even the MP38/40 SMG. If I had to venture a scientific wild ass guess it would be because of the higher ROF of the MG34/42, availability of copious amounts of ammunition lying about (an item usually not possessed in great amounts for inherent weapon systems [EXC: The Sten and the MP38/40 fired a comparable 9x19mm ammo with about an equal ROF and effective engagement ranges]), and the fact they were pretty much on their own in a limited battle space.
I wish I could upload picture of soldier in the 83rd who had to have five captured weapons slung on him! Hilarious!🤣

Check it out and if you want to help an OMOOT upload it here. If it's legal of course. Really am OMOOT. 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.