A thin line of trees blocking LOS

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden

Do you think the thin line of woods in R4 is enough to block LOS from Q5 to S4, like VASL does? and in that case, if I fire from Q5 to R4, do I have to apply woods TEM on R4?

turlusiflu

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I agree with you, those depictions should block the LOS along the hexside, but not the LOS crossing them

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think B.1 implies that the thin line of woods should not be considered as existing for rules purposes.

B.1 SYMBOLOGY: For aesthetic purposes, terrain symbology may extend marginally out of a hex into an adjacent hex of another type, but most hexes are dominated by one specific terrain type and are governed by the rules for that specific terrain type

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oops. Did not realize this was an SK question. I'm not sure if this is in the SK rules.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What board is that? I assume it's a DenseJungle overlay, but why wouldn't R3 and other hexes have DJ?

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, OK, so that must have Grain to Woods, then, and that's why R3 and others aren't Dense.

Oddly, though, my LOS tool doesn't have a problem with this LOS. VASL 6.6.5 and VASSAL 3.6.7.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
What board is that? I assume it's a DenseJungle overlay, but why wouldn't R3 and other hexes have DJ?
Hm, seems unlikely, because R3 and some adjacent hexes don't have Dense Jungle, so it is probably not a Terrain Transformation in VASL. Looking at the Map/Terrain, it is probably not an Overlay either - AFAIK, there are no specific 'Dense Jungle' Overlays but merely Woods overlays.

Am I missing something?

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Am I missing something?
There's a generic "X to Y" transformation that can do Grain to Woods, and that's what the original post pic looks like. If it were a scenario special overlay, one would think it would have transformed the Grain into Dense Jungle as per the SSR, and of course changed the hex IDs to white. Unless of course those are some cheap off-market SSOs :)

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
View attachment 24933

Do you think the thin line of woods in R4 is enough to block LOS from Q5 to S4, like VASL does? and in that case, if I fire from Q5 to R4, do I have to apply woods TEM on R4?
OR4 is a totally Open Ground hex. No TEM.
But the discussion seems to have moved on to the vagaries of VASL.