A terrain Q

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have an MMC in a fortified stone building with a hedge on 2 of the hex sides.

Running across open ground directly across from the hedge side hexes is an enemy MMC.

What is the TEM if I'm shooting him while he's a few hexes away and what is the TEM if I'm shooting while he's adjacent to me?

I had assumed -2 for both, but I hear it could be otherwise because of the hedge.

What would his TEM be?

Sorry if these are too basic for some of you guys.

(In particular I'm playing Point of the Sword, and I'm in 10U5 on the ground floor, and he's in 10S5 going to 10T5.)

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
While he's a few hexes away, he will be -2 drm (FFNAM, FFMO) on any shots.

Once he comes adjacent to you, he will get automatic wall advantage and benefit from the hedge TEM, so +1 TEM with -1 FFNAM = +0 drm

If, instead of your MMC being in the stone building he had instead claimed Wall Advantage, it would be -2 drm even on the adjacent shot since the enemy MMC would not be able to claim Wall Advantage when he moves next to you.

Larry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Andrew is correct, but just in case you want the why to go along with the answer, see B9.3 et seq. For example:

9.3 TEM: The TEM of a wall is +2; the TEM of a hedge is +1. Fire traced through a wall/hedge hexside or hexspine may be subject to a TEM for that wall/hedge if the target is in the Location formed by that hexside/hexspine.
9.32 WALL ADVANTAGE (WA): A unit may claim WA over a same level wall/hedge hexside if it is an armed, unbroken ground level unit which is not: a vehicle eligible to receive inhex TEM of ≥ 1 [EXC: Height Advantage (10.31)/Cactus Patch (14.7)/Olive Grove (14.8)], in Column/Convoy, in a Fortified building possessing a Gun, on a bridge [EXC: over a Roadblock], in a pillbox/cave, beneath an entrenchment counter, above Wire/Panji or in a Location containing a non-hidden, non-prisoner enemy [EXC: “broken†vehicle (A12.1)] unit.
9.323 MANDATORY WA: A unit unable to claim in-hex TEM of at least + 1 must claim WA as soon as possible (even if having in-hex Hindrance), and cannot voluntarily forfeit it. Neither Emplacement, Gunshield, Height Advantage, nor a friendly AFV with WA are considered to provide an in-hex TEM for this purpose. A "Wall Advan" counter is not necessary in this case, unless there is an enemy unit sharing one or more of the unit's wall/hedge hexsides.
Somehow, Andrew's quick response took up less space than the rules.