A-T Ditch Enter/Exit

Jim Burris

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have a quick question about AT Ditches.

B27.56 ANTI-TANK (A-T) DITCH: states that an A-T Ditch is treated the same as a trench except that no vehicle may enter and unbridged A-T Ditch and Infantry must pay two MF plus COT to enter/exit the counter of an A-T Trench. (I think this should say A-T Ditch.)

Does this mean that for an AT-Ditch in Open Ground a squad must pay 1 MF to enter the hex and be subject to DFF in the open and then spend 2 MF to enter the trench? Or are AT-Ditches treated like shell holes in that a squad may pay 1 MF to enter the hex on top of the A-T Ditch or 3 MF to enter the hex beneath the A-T Ditch?

Thanks,

Jim

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
B27.4 states that the cost to enter/leave a Foxhole is separate from the cost to enter a hex, and Defensive Fire may occur between the two; only RtPh movement may combine the two expenditures (B27.4 again). Trenches inherit rules from Foxholes, and AT-Ditches inherit them from Trenches, so the same should apply unless superceded by specific rules (which I don't think is the case).

So MF expenditure to enter/leave an AT-Ditch should be separate: COT to enter the hex, then 2MF to enter the Ditch - with DFF in the interim. These AT-Ditches should be placed together, with, as much as possible, some safe location to enter the trench (unless some SSR allows entry from an adjacent building, à la RB); then movement will be along the Ditch.

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What seems strange to me is the infantry don't have to pay the AT Ditch 2mp cost, they can jump over !

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
What seems strange to me is the infantry don't have to pay the AT Ditch 2mp cost, they can jump over !
These are young men who have been conditioned by the army, not old-and-out-of-shape gamers. We probably couldn't jump over one of the counters without getting winded.

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
You are absolutely right. BFP was right to 'fix' that with an appropriate special rule in CoS.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
AT Ditches by ASLRB suffer..they can be Bypassed as well. So you dig your AT Ditch up to the tree-line but not into it...so the enemy simply bypasses along the woods....or building....

Fixes are needed in the ASLRB on this. The are also not safe when in them...the tend to be straight not zig-zag like a trench so fire from in to in would be akin to OG to OG.

And so on...