A Return,... after 10 years

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Thanks to Fenyan and BigAl737 for the jpgs.

There simply isn't a more root'inest, toot'inest, uber-tank like this here Grant.

Is it me or is the sun a little brighter, bird song more pleasant, the clouds more,... fluffy today than before? <<sigh>> ?

Last edited:

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks to Fenyan and BigAl737 for the jpgs.

There simply isn't a more root'inest, toot'inest, uber-tank like this here Grant.

Is it me or is the sun a little brighter, bird song more pleasant, the clouds more,... fluffy today than before? <<sigh>> ?
It’s you ?

Welcome back.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
G'day Gents,

After a bit over a decade I have returned to "The Game". At the moment I am using SASL II to refamiliarise myself with the sequence of play even though the game play is not, strictly speaking, ASL.

While I dropped into MMP a few time over the years I was initially surprised at the number of revised modules now out (and out of print). Question is, does one really need Hakke Palle and Rising Sun if you have the errata?

I believe I finished my buying at AoO and FKaK , with many counters not even punched in the latter. My rule book is pretty much the 2000 copyright version but I already have all the errata pages up to 2006 and just downloaded the 2008 pages. Are there many critical changes to the rule book or will errata and quiet conversation cover most of the updates.

Maps. Good Lord but the selection has grown. The new larger maps look very interesting and I am glad that a map-pack is now in pre order as my map set ends at 52 (both mounted and paper (laminated). I'm looking forward to perusing the set covering 53-77 and the 1a-9b offerings.

I think my biggest regret over the years away was missing out on ASL Journals 8-10 (11, 12 and OotA 2 just arrived by mail). Imo, these have always been a good value and excellent aid for the game. The selection of Action Packs and the WO offering look interesting and well priced so I may pick up a few of those with newer board offerings.

I will need to find a small tourney to attend to really get back into things.

So,... other than the above,.... what did I miss??:)

Edit: By the way,.... anyone got an avatar of an M3 Grant counter? You can't find a better fighting machine than the Grant.
Welcome back!
I miss your Monty avatar. ?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
He is in the Grant. ;)
If Monty is in the Grant then the Grant should have no MA (IE no 37LL). ?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
If Monty is in the Grant then the Grant should have no MA (IE no 37LL). ?

I have managed two trips to the IWP in London over the years (betwixt 2006 and 2016).

I have touched the Grant that was Monty's command tank. A spiritual moment 'er there ev'r was.:geek:

In this case, the gun remains intact as Monty liked to lead by example and was not adverse to showing the lads "the way".

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Per the linked web site, "The 37mm gun was replaced by a wooden dummy gun barrel to create more room in the turret for extra radio equipment."

JR

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Ok,.... so I just placed the third order for 'catching up' on the official MMP kit sans the SKs, updated versions of modules and the big campaigns (still an option, maybe). Once WO9, AP 10, 11 and 12 arrive I will be missing the following scenarios and maps due to being out of print:

Maps - 4a/b, 5a/b, 6a/b, 56, 57, 58, 60, 61, 62, 63, 68, and 77.

I can't seem to find out where 68 and 77 were offered (AP?, WO?, etc.). I'll work them into a future budget if still available.

I would be missing the scenarios from WO2 as well. As far as re-issued scenarios from generals and the ASL Annuals, etc. I have all of the original magazines and have the errata/update info or new issues from new purchases (Rivers to the Reich, Turning of the Tide, etc.).

So,... the big question.

For the maps I am missing (but waiting patiently for the Map Pak 2 to spool up in pre-order) as well as the scenarios for WO2, is there a "socially acceptable" means of obtaining copies until the pre-orders get shipped? There are a few scenarios I would love to try but I do not have the maps (SK and ASL).

Cheers.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
There is a second map bundle on preorder, with most of the maps you are missing, but it is very slow in reaching the P#.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Welcome back,
I second the recommendation to purchase the Pocket Rulebook, it will get you up to date, rules-wise.

p.s. for Pommie armour, it's the Firefly for me ; )

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Ok,.... so I just placed the third order for 'catching up' on the official MMP kit sans the SKs, updated versions of modules and the big campaigns (still an option, maybe). Once WO9, AP 10, 11 and 12 arrive I will be missing the following scenarios and maps due to being out of print:

I can't seem to find out where 68 and 77 were offered (AP?, WO?, etc.). I'll work them into a future budget if still available.

I would be missing the scenarios from WO2 as well. As far as re-issued scenarios from generals and the ASL Annuals, etc. I have all of the original magazines and have the errata/update info or new issues from new purchases (Rivers to the Reich, Turning of the Tide, etc.).

So,... the big question.

For the maps I am missing (but waiting patiently for the Map Pak 2 to spool up in pre-order) as well as the scenarios for WO2, is there a "socially acceptable" means of obtaining copies until the pre-orders get shipped? There are a few scenarios I would love to try but I do not have the maps (SK and ASL).

Cheers.
You can buy the scenario packs that contain the maps off eBay, whenever they appear for auction. That is a socially acceptable means of obtaining copies until the pre-order pack get shipped. You could ask to buy the needed packs from members of one of the Facebook ASL groups that might have extra scenario packs. A rare few might give you a scenario pack.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

So,... the big question.

Cheers.
Don't forget other distributors such as Gamer's Armory, Alex Keys Games & Hobbies, etc., I've had good luck in procuring maps and out of stock/print packs & publications that way.