The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
G'day Gents,

After a bit over a decade I have returned to "The Game". At the moment I am using SASL II to refamiliarise myself with the sequence of play even though the game play is not, strictly speaking, ASL.

While I dropped into MMP a few time over the years I was initially surprised at the number of revised modules now out (and out of print). Question is, does one really need Hakke Palle and Rising Sun if you have the errata?

I believe I finished my buying at AoO and FKaK , with many counters not even punched in the latter. My rule book is pretty much the 2000 copyright version but I already have all the errata pages up to 2006 and just downloaded the 2008 pages. Are there many critical changes to the rule book or will errata and quiet conversation cover most of the updates?

Maps. Good Lord but the selection has grown. The new larger maps look very interesting and I am glad that a map-pack is now in pre order as my map set ends at 52 (both mounted and paper (laminated). I'm looking forward to perusing the set covering 53-77 and the 1a-9b offerings.

I think my biggest regret over the years away was missing out on ASL Journals 8-10 (11, 12 and OotA 2 just arrived by mail). Imo, these have always been a good value and excellent aid for the game. The selection of Action Packs and the WO offering look interesting and well priced so I may pick up a few of those with newer board offerings.

I will need to find a small tourney to attend to really get back into things.

So,... other than the above,.... what did I miss??:)

Edit: By the way,.... anyone got an avatar of an M3 Grant counter? You can't find a better fighting machine than the Grant.

Last edited:

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
You could try Alex Key, Le Valet, Gamer’s armoury, or Kitshop for products that you missed; or evil-bay.

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome back. We met at my first CASLO in Winnipeg in the mid-2000s (at "The Gort") and remember meeting you. The Winnipeg crew was one of the funnest, kindest group of guys you'd ever meet. Roll low.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome back. We met at my first CASLO in Winnipeg in the mid-2000s (at "The Gort") and remember meeting you. The Winnipeg crew was one of the funnest, kindest group of guys you'd ever meet.

Always great to see former regulars return to the fold. Roll low.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
G'day Gents,

After a bit over a decade I have returned to "The Game". At the moment I am using SASL II to refamiliarise myself with the sequence of play even though the game play is not, strictly speaking, ASL.

So,... other than the above,.... what did I miss??:)
I think you may have missed all Friendly Fire Packs, which are probably the single best series of Scenario Packs for ASL ever published.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Cheers to everyone for the replies above. I have begun the search for Journals 8 - 10 and will look at other 3rd party offerings.

Btw,... it looks like I must have purchased AP4 as I have maps 53-55 on the heavy card stock. I seem to have picked up a couple of other boards (42, 43) and a board v (starter kit?).

So,.... no gif (or wotever) of the super tank counter - M3 Grant? ?

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Welcome back to the game, if you never got Streets of Fire it's being reprinted in the new mapboard style as Deluxe Pack Redux.

Attachments

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheers to everyone for the replies above. I have begun the search for Journals 8 - 10 and will look at other 3rd party offerings.

Btw,... it looks like I must have purchased AP4 as I have maps 53-55 on the heavy card stock. I seem to have picked up a couple of other boards (42, 43) and a board v (starter kit?).

So,.... no gif (or wotever) of the super tank counter - M3 Grant? ?
I can make you one.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Welcome back to the game, if you never got Streets of Fire it's being reprinted in the new mapboard style as Deluxe Pack Redux.
Oh, man! This return is going to cost me a thousand bucks. I've already spent $120-ish with just over $200 more on order,.... and in $US too!!!:eek:

I've always been the type who enjoyed combined arms and the 1939-42 period. Never really got into Deluxe,...always found the battlefields too small. Nevertheless the few battles I did play were good ones. The roomy hexes worked well.

Good Gawd,... its after two in the morning. Time to put away the RB, OotA2 and the J11/J12 scenarios and sleep. I'm just a young and spry 45 anymore. ;)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
My thanks to Fenyan for the M3 Lee jpg. She's a looker, even if not as pretty as the Grant. :)

I remember reading somewhere where a US officer (or soldier) referred to a Lee as "like a cathedral rolling down the street"

BigAl737

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My thanks to Fenyan for the M3 Lee jpg. She's a looker, even if not as pretty as the Grant. :)

I remember reading somewhere where a US officer (or soldier) referred to a Lee as "like a cathedral rolling down the street"
Was gonna start this just now but I see Fenyan has got you covered. Good deal.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The Soviets called them "Grave for seven brothers".

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Love that rosy Russian outlook.
For some reason seven brothers seems to have a special significance in many cultures. Phrases like "seventh son of a seventh son" come to mind. It seems to be common to many descendants of Proto-Indo-European speakers and their culture, possibly other archaic cultures as well. As for the rosy Russian outlook, what do you expect when in excruciatingly long Winters you freeze and in Summers are swarmed by mosquitoes (and have Stalin as your boss).

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For some reason seven brothers seems to have a special significance in many cultures. Phrases like "seventh son of a seventh son" come to mind. It seems to be common to many descendants of Proto-Indo-European speakers and their culture, possibly other archaic cultures as well. As for the rosy Russian outlook, what do you expect when in excruciatingly long Winters you freeze and in Summers are swarmed by mosquitoes (and have Stalin as your boss).

Indeed, part of the awesomeness of HBO's/Sky's Chernobyl mini-series was how the Russian/Soviet attitude came through. Babushkas kick ass. In fact we probably need a Partisan-Babushka counter. Tougher than any Commissar.