A Quick Note about Guild Chat

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I'd just like to drop a quick line to everyone about some recent activities on the weekend just past, and mention again our policy on guild chat.

With 110 current members, and others coming and going, DethNet has seen many different people in our guild over our short existence. I'm very pleased to say that so far we've had virtually no cause for complaint. The very philosophy of our guild itself precludes us from seeing spamming in the guild chat, harassment of players and members, and excessive immaturity in our chat channel.

We did, however, have an unfortunate incident over the weekend where we had to remove a member from our guild. The player in question was having some rather sexual discussion with some profanity in guild chat. Although it was rather mild (by adult standards), it was completely unacceptable for the younger members of our guild. She was whispered to by one of the senior founders of the guild, politely asking her to tone it down a bit, to which she replied that she would, and was very sorry.

The short of it is that the member in question didn't cool things down whatsoever, and the conversation in guild chat only got worse. This in itself wouldn't have been a huge issue, but she continued to whisper back and forth with the senior member, and was openly mocking the request, going so far as to say 'she didn't care, and was only getting started'. And this was in Guild chat, not the private channel.

She was promptly removed from the guild.

People, we're not trying to run a draconian guild, we're simply asking for a little common sense when typing in chat. We had close to twenty members on in guild chat at that time, and several of them were underage. When it's late night, or you're in a party of people you know, please feel free to talk a little looser, and about more adult things. Say whatever you like if you know the people that are listening to you. I do! (I've cracked a few nasty ones myself in guild - I'm sure I could turn some of your ears blue! :eek: ) :laugh:

But you'll never hear me speaking like that when there are younger members around, or when I'm not certain of the people that might be listening. It's no different than when you're out in public - I'm sure you don't curse a blue streak standing in line at McDonalds. ;)

Please feel free to talk about what you'd like, and enjoy yourself in guild and party chat. Just please take a moment to know who your audience is!

Thanks!

Surii

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Bump and stickied.

For a over a quarter thousand members, we actually have remarkably few problems. But there will always be the odd case here and again, so I've stuck this message back up to the top of the list.

People, please, do not curse a blue-streak in guild chat! If you are in a party, and know all the members, let fly! Same for private chat (so long as your audience is ok with this). But this is not ok in guild chat, so please don't do it.

Compounding this problem is when people ignore Dethnet Officers when they request that you stop. This path leads to a very short cliff... If this behavior repeats, the offender will be booted.

Swearing (and getting a warning) is one thing. Repeating the same infraction right away is another. But ignoring your Guild Officers is a completely different ball of wax, and will not be tolerated.