A point to ponder......

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I received this email recently. ( The names are removed to protect the innocent and / or guilty)

The message is short, but extremely profound in its applicability. Gents, this is what the ASL community really is all about..

"I have come across very kind people who knew my Father in Law and others that just knew that I am a person in need of a little help. ASL folks sure are a nice group who love their hobby - and more so for others who love that hobby, too.

Thank you everyone so much for all and take care"

There is a special comaraderie in those people behind the caraciatures of our avatars here and elsewhere.

Despite the differences, when one is in need, the rest are always glad to be of service.

I truly think that is a vision of a hobby community that Rex Martin once saw this thing we call ASL could grow into one day. And I , for one, am glad to be a part of it.

Keep Rollin Low,

Jon H

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I received this email recently. ( The names are removed to protect the innocent and / or guilty)

The message is short, but extremely profound in its applicability. Gents, this is what the ASL community really is all about..

"I have come across very kind people who knew my Father in Law and others that just knew that I am a person in need of a little help. ASL folks sure are a nice group who love their hobby - and more so for others who love that hobby, too.

There is a special comaraderie in those people behind the caraciatures of our avatars here and elsewhere.

Despite the differences, when one is in need, the rest are always glad to be of service.

I truly think that is a vision of a hobby community that Rex Martin once saw this thing we call ASL could grow into one day. And I , for one, am glad to be a part of it.

Keep Rollin Low,

Jon H
Hear hear!!

I, for one, am blessed and honored to be associated with this community. I only hope that I can give as much as I take - and hence be regarded as worthy amongst you all.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, for all the stupid little flame wars, the truth is, we could have decided to hang with far worse people than our fellow ASLers.

Keep Rollin Low,

Jon H

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Your all invited to my house ! BYOB

One rule: no whining,
Bob

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With ASLOK just around the corner I am looking forward to seeing old friends and making new friends. If you play ASL, I like you already.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With ASLOK just around the corner I am looking forward to seeing old friends and making new friends. If you play ASL, I like you already.
It's become as much about the friends as the game any more. I enjoy other games as much as I enjoy ASL, but the people aren't the same.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have over 650 to 700 war games (still) but I only play ASL, not only is ASL a great game it's the people that you meet and play with that make it the great social event/hobby that it is.

ASL has a dynamic set of hobbies within the hobby, collection, organization, storage, sorting, categorizing, cutting, clipping, mapping, reading, arguing, discussing, socializing, etc. There is just so many sub-hobbies within this hobby that makes it so great.

But the people and friends are the tops.

chapman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd agree unconditionally, cept for this past spring I'd been burned in a trade for ASL gear by a fellow ASLer who I never met nor ever plan to.
What's worse, I was only one of four people he ripped off over the past year and a half, all for ASL gear and all through bogus BGG trades, none of us were aware at the time we were dealing with a crook until our games were already in his hands.:mad:

OttoBomb

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm only about a dozen games deep into ASL, but must agree the people within the circle ASL has been supremely friendly and open to helping me learn the game. A good number like craft beer and thick cut bacon as well, which helps a lot.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'd agree unconditionally, cept for this past spring I'd been burned in a trade for ASL gear by a fellow ASLer who I never met nor ever plan to.
What's worse, I was only one of four people he ripped off over the past year and a half, all for ASL gear and all through bogus BGG trades, none of us were aware at the time we were dealing with a crook until our games were already in his hands.:mad:
That's a total shame. He traded his honor for the price of a few games.

Quite frankly though, I was stunned at the way folks trade here. The level of trust here is absolutely amazing. It's one thing to have met the person at ASLOKs or local games but everyone treated me who's on the other side of the world with such trust that made me realize quickly that it's the people more than the game that's the gem in ASL.

And the GENEROSITY from multiple individuals with their ASL stuff and their time ... I don't know where to start!

PS. Flame wars make one look ugly, not smart, nor cool, nor superior - don't do it.

synicbast

ASLOK Junkie
Reaction score
First name
Peter
Country
llNew Zealand
For all the disagreements I might have on GS the thing is that I look forward to catching up with those same people at ASLOK or Cancon. The worldwide ASL community is pretty bloody good by comparison to other gaming communities I am involved in or have been involved in over the years. I have to think seriously about attending miniatures events within 25 kms of where I live, but think nothing of traipsing over to ASLOK when possible. My annual leave is pretty much booked for the last week of September and first two weeks of October every year for that reason.

Even when circumstances mean I cannot play any ASL (as currently) I would rather try and stay in contact via GS than leave the game behind. I may spend more money on ASL than golf each year (according to my partner) but the payoff is worth it.

I really am looking forward to getting back on VASL ASAP this year with the incentive being I have a domestic leave pass from my step daughter to attend ASLOK for the next 3 years despite her birthday falling right in the middle of the ASLOK window.

Pete.

Willowcrown

Reaction score
I have over 650 to 700 war games (still) but I only play ASL, not only is ASL a great game it's the people that you meet and play with that make it the great social event/hobby that it is.

ASL has a dynamic set of hobbies within the hobby, collection, organization, storage, sorting, categorizing, cutting, clipping, mapping, reading, arguing, discussing, socializing, etc. There is just so many sub-hobbies within this hobby that makes it so great.

When I started uncle play and thought I'd get into it, uncle said to come on here, said that playing the game was a "ton of fun" but the friends made, was the most important thing of all. Mom wasn't sure how anyone would act towards me since we weren't sure if there was any other 18 year old girls on here. Mom was so worried, but she soon saw the ASL people are just so sweet so nice and will help you so much. Mary and Andy saw this, and so did Marys mom. Both moms felt there was no need to worry. We all have our ups and downs but that's the way life is. The ASL group here has taught Mary, Andy and I so much, about helping, sharing, the need to keep learning, to try new ways and things and not give up, to keep an open mind and not to take things in life so seriously.
You may not think you have done that for us, and everyone else, but you all have.

Love you all
Nicky and Mary

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Prior to taking up ASL, I mostly hung out with far worse people.

The D& D crowd.

The D&D people ain't so bad. They're just different.

They probably say the same thing about us. I never begrudge a gamer be it D&Der, CCGer, Eurogamer, chess player, miniatures dude, etc for liking a particular genre of games, because we're just as weird as them.