A.P. Fourteen.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hear there's 12 scenarios but who cares, you want the BOARDS.

Pete said, "I want the gnarliest Bocage Hill you can do!" Don Petros said, "I'm your man!"

We gave him version 1. He said "I want gnarlier!" Version 2: "Dammit, I said GNARLIER!"

We said "Pete! There's LIMITS! You canna break the system!"

He said "I'm Pete G-Dang Shelling and I'll break what I want! NOW GIMME GNARLIER!"

So we pushed the Gnarl button to 11 and thus was born, board 84.

Sometimes I still wake up at night, shivering. It's the Gnarl, you see.

In contrast, board 12ab just wants to be a picturesque sleepy village. With the longest gully in the system.

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some very interesting little wrinkles in there.

Board 84 has a lot of woods hexsides you can't bypass because the art hits the hexside. And I'm sure I'm going to end up wanting to cross the board 12ab gully at D4/E4 someday, and go, "why?!?".

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
84: Nice, a half decent sized Normandy hill. Reminds me so much of a section between Mullingar and Roscommon, two places where my parents came from and moved to, in Ireland.
12a/b: Looks like a large W. European village, without the space to graze the household cow in front as seen in E. Europe/USSR. Would nicely fit in Ireland as well.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Are there any other players out there that aren't really enthusiastic about new boards all the time? I'd rather see us go on a hiatus for a while and use the plethora we already have.
No way! We barely have twenty square miles of official MMP geomorphic boards with which to design scenarios. How many square miles of battlefields were there in WW2? Hundreds, thousands? We have barely scratch the surface!! ;)

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No way! We barely have twenty square miles of official MMP geomorphic boards with which to design scenarios. How many square miles of battlefields were there in WW2? Hundreds, thousands? We have barely scratch the surface!! ;)
What we really need is a HASL map of... Europe. Just for starters.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What we really need is a HASL map of... Europe. Just for starters.
Ah, memories...
Thirty years ago I was working at my FLGS and waxing enthusiastically about the impending release of Red Barricades, AND wishing for more HASLs, and one of the owners said, "what are they going to do, sell you the Pacific island by island?", to which I replied, "I hope so!!!".
Here we are - happily - 30 years later!

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Truly like both boards and have been waiting forever for 12a/b. The village would work for many such locations in Germany, Belgium and eastern Europe as well. Haven't played on either yet (no ASLOK or playtest here) but it may just replace Bd3 as my ATF judging from initial glances.?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
84 is very interesting and I am looking forward to playing new bocage scenarios.
12a/b, except for the long gully, is the umpteenth village board.
Less exciting. Village seems to be the default when designers don't have a better idea.
I would have liked another bocage board, or an urban one.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
84 is very interesting and I am looking forward to playing new bocage scenarios.
12a/b, except for the long gully, is the umpteenth village board.
Less exciting. Village seems to be the default when designers don't have a better idea.
I would have liked another bocage board, or an urban one.
Bd84 is certainly going to be a bugger for vehicles if/when there's bocage. Even with hedges or SSRed fences there's going to be a lot of interesting LOS/LOF challenges. Got to agree with you on that board but there's a dearth of "strung out" villages represented with our current selection prior to this release but one needs only to look at a WW-II map to see a plethora of them.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mounted on steel with magnetic counters?