A Newbie Looks at fav Scenarios

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, as I write this, I enter the end of my first year as an ASL player. To this point, I have played only 33 scenarios, so I am not in the class of many of the people that post here in marking favorite scenarios. So, for those that are elatively new to the game, here goes.

1. My favorite scenario to date: The Professionals (A28). An all HIP Yugoslav OB gives this game some replay value. Bridge crossing scenarios tend to be tough on the attacker, but the Germans have the tools to succede if they are careful in the approach. MOL capable Yugos are no pushover and the over-confident German player will usual suffer a humiliating defeat if he ignores this fact.

2. Crossing the Gniloi Tikitsch(A98) This is really two games in one. The Germans win a sudden death by clearing a building in the first three turns, but, failing that, they must cross a bridge (that usually will have a roadblock at one end) into the teeth of a strong Russian OB. A true thriller!

3. Finally, Hill 621. A classic east front situation. The Russian OB gives a whole new meaning (and feel) to the term "Russian hordes". Gosh, this game was fun and, despite its initial appearance of a hopeless situation for the Germans, it is not! The Germans have an excellent chance. Its big, its long, and its great entertainment...with a lesson. The Russian juggernaut really could be an overwhelming tide. This scenario captures it well.

Other goodies were The Hills of Lagonovo (SP31), le herisson (77) and The Merzenhausen Zoo (J19). These were good, but the above three were my favorites in my first 33 games.

Allen

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of those, I think the only one I've played is Le Herisson, which I liked quite a bit.