Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 26 44.1%

• Total voters

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would purchase any Iwo Jima module from MMP, regardless of the name. But can we please move away from the childish cartoon names?

As a Marine who has been to Iwo Jima, it is sacred ground and deserves a little more respect than many of these titles suggest.

Semper Fi!
Scott

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would purchase any Iwo Jima module from MMP, regardless of the name. But can we please move away from the childish cartoon names?

As a Marine who has been to Iwo Jima, it is sacred ground and deserves a little more respect than many of these titles suggest.

Semper Fi!
Scott
Amen.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
On a side note, I've noticed that none of the various Bounding Fire products seem to be encumbered with silly titles. JMO.
Onslaught to Orsha isn't "silly"? You're talking individual threshold stuff, on which there can be no consensus, but you haven't really defined what you think to be "silly" either.

IMO, the cover art for Orsha is worse than silly, it's outright bad, with an SS guy wearing a winter parka in southern Russia in July, and a day-glo Stuka diving head first into the ground.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
IMO, the cover art for Orsha is worse than silly, it's outright bad, with an SS guy wearing a winter parka in southern Russia in July, and a day-glo Stuka diving head first into the ground.
Basically, I agree with you. But you have to put it into perspective.

The cover art for OtO2 is the same as for OtO. OtO was published in 2002, so the artwork has probably been created a year or two before that. The basis of it are some known photographs or parts thereof, that have been put together into the overall picture and colored, complemented by some original electronically drawn artwork (like the grass).

20 years is a loong time in computer-based image processing. And Klaus Fischer did this as a hobby and not as a professional artist. So you might criticize the general composition but against this background and the state of development 20 years ago, it is fair enough.

von Marwitz

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
So you might criticize the general composition but against this background and the state of development 20 years ago, it is fair enough.
I appreciate the perspective of the original 20 years ago and was never inclined to criticize it before. Your summary is accurate and fair. But when I saw the work that went into the other aspects of the rerelease, it seemed odd not to touch the artwork aspect at all since it has not dated well and the tools with which to do better have improved drastically in the interim.

Anyway, not to pick on the original artist, my only real point was to suggest that "silly" is in the eye of the beholder, and if BFP is being held up as a paragon of quality and seriousness, there is at least one reason to feel otherwise.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Yes I think it is wise to avoid silly titles. Silly titles are often catchy but they do detract from the grandeur of the subject.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Onslaught to Orsha isn't "silly"? You're talking individual threshold stuff, on which there can be no consensus, but you haven't really defined what you think to be "silly" either.

When I commented on the Bounding Fire modules, I was only referring to their titles, and I attempted to qualify my comments as personal opinion and not a statement of fact. I did use the acronym 'JMO'.
I don't think that there is any compelling reason for me to offer a definition of 'silly' as there are dictionary definitions already in existence for this word. If you are considering starting a discussion/thread regarding ASL box art, I would certainly enjoy viewing and participating in such an endeavor.

I'm glad you used OtO 2 as an example in this thread, as it perfectly reinforces my earlier stated opinion that regardless of the title (or in this case, box art), I would be willing to purchase and play a well crafted ASL product.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How about Kuribayashi's Fortress. He died there along with almost all of his men. I have read some articles on him, he seems to be a more honorable commander than most.. But I guess that depends on your point of view.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I seem to remember a headline or something from years ago that said simply "Bloody Iwo". That might work if it isn't copyrighted.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I seem to remember a headline or something from years ago that said simply "Bloody Iwo". That might work if it isn't copyrighted.
Titles can't be copyrighted, so it's no problem - though they can be trademarked.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Yes, after you do the conversion and playtest.
Thanks! Just thinking about the marketing. Think the Marines would love it if it at least delivers the flavor of their determination and sacrifice.