Raising the Flag: The Battle for Iwo Jima

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Uh-oh... Even though you probably mean this in jest, I find that post rather unfortunate.

von Marwitz
Agreed. Iwo, Tarawa, and Peleliu and much of the late war PTO fighting finds us in this kind of environment and though it is challenging in the least and I will play it, I find early war PTO to the middle war period, when the Japanese still had some offensive capabilities and the fighting is in the Solomons, New Guinea, the Philippines and Burma where there is real cover other than fortifications and caves much more palatable to my kind of PTO ASL. But I will buy the Iwo module and no denying the extreme valor of the Marines in taking the island from a mainly hidden, dug-in and utterly fanatic defender.

Just the thought of the fighting that went on there is enough to send shivers up your spine, Vic.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I have had the good fortune of play testing for BFP in the past and we played a lot of PTO, I took the Japanese and there is a bit of an art and skill to use them in the late war against the US or the USMC. You do have to have a higher Personal Morale Level because your going to get shot up a lot by big toys and firepower hitting you, but there is nothing more special then springing that trap you devised and while you may loose the squad, leader and support weapon, the joy in taking out a LCV full of 2-3 MMC or a precious AFV or ambushing and killing a stack with TPBF is a joy indeed.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Funnily enough in this particular CG the Japanese have less SE than the Marines but cause more CVP casualties than they receive. It is almost entirely due to their high TEM and the Marine lack of TEM. You will not see this particular situation arising in almost any other scenario/CG.

Iwo Jima is historically the only battle where the Marines suffered more casualties than the Japanese.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funnily enough in this particular CG the Japanese have less SE than the Marines but cause more CVP casualties than they receive. It is almost entirely due to their high TEM and the Marine lack of TEM. You will not see this particular situation arising in almost any other scenario/CG.

Iwo Jima is historically the only battle where the Marines suffered more casualties than the Japanese.
A true statement indeed. I believe that this was the first time that this had occurred in any major campaign in the Pacific. Of course, the majority of the Marine Casualties were WIA, the majority of the Japanese Casualties were KIA.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Iwo Jima was also known as Sulfur Island, "Black sand and sulfur" or "Caves and sulfur." ("Suffering," "Sweat," and "Sulfur" are alliterative, but it seems like you are trying to avoid cheesy names, for which I commend you.)

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I have had the good fortune of play testing for BFP in the past and we played a lot of PTO, I took the Japanese and there is a bit of an art and skill to use them in the late war against the US or the USMC. You do have to have a higher Personal Morale Level because your going to get shot up a lot by big toys and firepower hitting you, but there is nothing more special then springing that trap you devised and while you may loose the squad, leader and support weapon, the joy in taking out a LCV full of 2-3 MMC or a precious AFV or ambushing and killing a stack with TPBF is a joy indeed.
In some ways, the definition of a pyrrhic victory, but this is what they were there for and what scenario VCs may be looking for. Allen Loiselle, when he was active, would love to plot out a defense for the Japanese, ask Carl Norguera. Man we miss Allen at the club. Great point and the Japanese might not have anywhere near the firepower of the Marines but how they can cause utter pain in these circumstances. An utter nightmare to say the least, for both sides once the Marines get their bearings and find where the Japanese are.

Bring up the DC teams and flame tanks! Vic.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The contrarian in me has to say;
Makin Island raid
Shanghai 4th marines surrendering
Pelilieu - if you take out surrendered Korean labourers

Some historical due diligence might be needed.

Any other takers?

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As Iwo Jima was also known as Sulfur Island, "Black sand and sulfur" or "Caves and sulfur." ("Suffering," "Sweat," and "Sulfur" are alliterative, but it seems like you are trying to avoid cheesy names, for which I commend you.)
'Bushido Badlands' is the epitome of a "cheesy" name for an Iwo Jima module. When I first read that proposed title, I was immediately reminded of a regular competitor in the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. Then again, the occasional appearance of goofy ASL module titles can probably be traced all the way back to 'Beyond Valor' and 'Hollow Legions' as well.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then again, the occasional appearance of goofy ASL module titles can probably be traced all the way back to 'Beyond Valor' and 'Hollow Legions' as well.
I don't categorically hate the cheesy pun or alliteration; in fact, for scenario titles, I love them. For a module name, I prefer something more understated (I love the early war allied minors, but don't love "Doomed Battalions"). Obviously just my personal opinion, and we all know that opinions are like... Well, I don't think I am any longer allowed to say what opinions are like on GS.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
'Bushido Badlands' is the epitome of a "cheesy" name for an Iwo Jima module. When I first read that proposed title, I was immediately reminded of a regular competitor in the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. Then again, the occasional appearance of goofy ASL module titles can probably be traced all the way back to 'Beyond Valor' and 'Hollow Legions' as well.
It's all a matter of opinion, but I thought BV and HL are good titles, particularly the latter.

"Star Wars" is an incredibly cheesy title, ditto Star Trek, but the reputation for widespread appeal has let them transcend the titles. Once you have a relationship with the product itself, you view the title differently. I can only suggest the same for Beyond Valor.

I agree re: Bushido Badlands on the face of it, by the way. But if it turned out to be a super popular, high quality offering, it too would exceed the expectations of its name and engender affection the same way all the other 'cheesy' titles have.

For my money Hedgerow Hell is still the worst. But I also like Hakka Päälle for whatever that says about me.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But I also like Hakka Päälle for whatever that says about me.
Don't know what say about YOU, all I know is that I can't say it ("Hakka Päälle", that is). Probably dislocate my tongue trying to pronounce it.