• Total voters

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Where has Sands of Iwo Jima been used before, other than the one movie?

If that is the disqualifier than any movie name should be as well but you name it what you want, it is your module.
Yes I was thinking of the movie. It does not disqualify the title. But it would be nice to have a new one.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Still, my favorites involve sand:

• Sand and Ash
  • Sands of Fate
  • Tortured Sands
von Marwitz

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The whole 4th Marine Division...plus elements of the 3rd Marine Division. The USMC have 40x infantry coy in the CG.
So, very wide ranging - most excellent! The offer of assistance is genuine, so if there is anything painful that needs to be done, I would be happy to lend a hand.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
So, very wide ranging - most excellent! The offer of assistance is genuine, so if there is anything painful that needs to be done, I would be happy to lend a hand.
Thanks for the offer. I will wait and see what Brian comes up with if anything.

The scope of the battle covered includes The Quarry, The Amphitheatre, The Turkey Knob, Charlie Dog Ridge, Minami Village, Hill 382, half of Airfield # 2, and Hills Peter and Oboe. As well as the southern shore line next to the East Boat Basin. A square mile out of 8 square miles that is Iwo Jima.

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would go for something like:

Kuribayashi's plan
or
Kuribayashi's Battle Vows
or
Kuribayashi's courage
or
Kuribayashi's Courage Division
or
Kuribayashi's prayer
or
Kuribayashi's death poem

and no I am not a fan of his but he is the reason why the battle of Iwo Jima is remembered more than the other Pacific battles:

Looking forward to more PTO :)

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of the three surviving flag raisers that went on the war bond tour as depicted in the film - two were later determined not to be in the actual picture and did not actually raise the flag. Not only was Bradley's dad not touching the flag when it went up, they just recently discovered it wasn't Gagnon in the picture either.

Using the name seems more like a testament to critical research failures than a tribute to the Marines.
I hadn't heard about Gagnon.

boylermaker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
English speakers find it very satisfying when every other syllable is stressed (see Shakespeare, W., or Deadwood). Note that both the winners in the poll do this (Sands of Wrath, Assault on Iwo Jima), while the others largely do not (Shrouded by Stone, Caves of the Empire, Snares of the Warren; Bushido Badlands works, so people must not like it for some other reason). This is good news for those who want Suribachi in the title; bad news for those who want Kuribayashi.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I would go for something like:

Kuribayashi's plan
or
Kuribayashi's Battle Vows
or
Kuribayashi's courage
or
Kuribayashi's Courage Division
or
Kuribayashi's prayer
or
Kuribayashi's death poem

and no I am not a fan of his but he is the reason why the battle of Iwo Jima is remembered more than the other Pacific battles:

Looking forward to more PTO :)
In my notes of titles for this module I have got "Kuribayashi's Arena".....we are thinking along similar lines.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I hadn't heard about Gagnon.
Nor I, but double-checking before posting finds the USMC confirmed just last October that he wasn't in the pic.

He did feature in the flag raising of course. He carried the new flag to the top of the mountain, which the Eastwood film gets right. I don't think any sensible person would begrudge him going on the war bond tour after, I'm not sure now we'll ever know the whole truth about who knew what, when. Or what they thought about it. Interesting that Gagnon supplied the initial list of names, and three of them turned out to be wrong.

Last edited: