Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My 2 cents: "Uncommon Valor"
I like it, particularly as it comes from the famous quote, but we already have Valor of the Guards, and Beyond Valor. Could call it "Way Way Beyond Valor" I suppose. But VWC does have the advantage of not duplicating an existing acronym - like PB meaning either Primosole Bridge or Pegasus Bridge.

"Assault Sector Suribachi" would become ASS.

If you do it as a Historical Study I suppose you would have to call it "Operation: Detachment" for consistency with the other two HSs.

Could always name it from the Japanese viewpoint - "Kuribayashi's Stand" or KS.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Is the HASL centered around the airfields?
The three airfields were quite far apart from each other. This CG has half of Airfield # 2 on it. The top half of the map is a similar area to the Uncommon Valor map.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
There is Clint Eastwood's take on the subject - Flags of Our Fathers or Letters From Iwo Jima

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is Clint Eastwood's take on the subject - Flags of Our Fathers or Letters From Iwo Jima
Was thinking about Flags of Our Fathers, but I am unsure what hurdles need to be jumped when using a movie title.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That has been used before too. Jungles Of Stone is another good one - which is a CH scenario.
Where has Sands of Iwo Jima been used before, other than the one movie?

If that is the disqualifier than any movie name should be as well but you name it what you want, it is your module.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Was thinking about Flags of Our Fathers, but I am unsure what hurdles need to be jumped when using a movie title.
I don't think there are any hurdles from a legal sense. The real problem is that you confuse people as to what your product is depicting if you use a name that is already strongly associated with something else or has been used many times before. For example, this title has been used many times in films:

Would you really expect yet another film with that name to stand out?

"Sands of Iwo Jima" is strongly associated with the John Wayne film. That kind of association worked well for ASL's treatment of Arnhem, given the success of both the book and the movie A Bridge Too Far. Might be the case also for Iwo, but I'm not sure the movie is as well known or as well regarded as ABTF. That may not matter as far as marketing an HASL.

"Cross of Iron" seemed to do alright as well despite - or perhaps because of - the association with the book and especially movie.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I like the Flag of our Fathers, as my dad was in the 9th Marines and was wounded on Iwo Jima.
Of the three surviving flag raisers that went on the war bond tour as depicted in the film - two were later determined not to be in the actual picture and did not actually raise the flag. Not only was Bradley's dad not touching the flag when it went up, they just recently discovered it wasn't Gagnon in the picture either.

Using the name seems more like a testament to critical research failures than a tribute to the Marines.

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jan this is great I followed your AAR and its about time this campaign was given its proper treatment. UV actually wasn't bad but not enough map. How about " The Marines Have Landed- The Fifth Amphibious Corps Assault On Iwo Jima" for a title.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I like the title suggested above: In the Shadow of Suribachi
Wouldn't that make more sense if the map was focused on the landing beaches, or the mountain? Airfield #2 was halfway across the island.

A name focusing on the airfield itself would seem to be a natural....