A motion attempt in LOS of an abandoning crew D2.401

ryant

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Tank doesn't immobilise in this case (Chap H/Russian Note M), it just wastes delay MPs and then you can attempt to start again.

Exact tank: T-34 M40, Note 13, M

Question is, does the delay MPs carry over to MPh?

Last edited:

bennyb

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
LDM said:
OK, no.
Movement points don't 'carry over'
Have to agree with that. Carrying over delayed movement points would require bookkeeping lol

But it may be fun to find the reference in the rulebook :)

Ben

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Looking.....Loooking.......Loooooking :dead:

<Man, on the far side of the world where its warm and they still can't find 1 simple rule :p >

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK,having looked at the results of a failed MA and stalling( ie, failure)I am forced to goto Note M in the H section:
"...the AFV is considered to have expended its entire MP allotment in Delay." Final sentence.
So, I think this is enough to say, "No, there is no MP carry over."
:whist:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
ryant said:
If the motion attempt was sucessful but the Mechanical Reliablity DR failed, do you (1) roll for the number of delay MPs and (2) do you need to expend that number of delay MPs in your next MPh.
After Russian Veh note M, if Mech Rel DR is 12, the russian tank is immobilized - and the Mech Rel failed...
If it rolls a 11, there are delay MPs...

My (questionable, of course!) proposition :

Roll then for delay MPs.
- If they exceed or equal the tanks MP allotment, motion attempt has failed.
- If not, try another start re-rolling for Mech Rel (and if delay again, add previous MPs spent).

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
The tank is only a unit while it has a crew in it. As soon as the crew abandons it, the tank is no longer a unit -- it is not capable of independent movement.

So what you have here is not a new unit being added to the map, but one type of unit being replaced by a different type of unit. The fact that the "replacement" is added to the board without removing the original counter is irrelevant.

This is not fundamentally any different from a squad being replaced by a HS due to a casualty result. Both are separate units. I don't think anyone would reasonably argue that the transformation of the squad into the HS is sufficient to trigger a Motion attempt.

Much as it pains me to say it, there are aspects of the rules that rely on nothing more than plain old "common sense". A crew abandoning out of its vehicle is not something "new" in the other vehicle's LOS; the other vehicle saw that crew all along, even if they were looking at it while it was in the form of a vehicle counter. If you want to argue it in technical terms again it's not a new unit, it's the same unit in a different counter form. Either way you don't get a motion attempt out of it.

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Roll then for delay MPs.
- If they exceed or equal the tanks MP allotment, motion attempt has failed.
- If not, try another start re-rolling for Mech Rel (and if delay again, add previous MPs spent).[/QUOTE]

Robin, I am sorry but I disagree with you. I contend that if the Russian 'stalls', it has failed its motion attempt.Now, I might have it wrong but if the tank does pass its MA roll, it goes Motion. If it fails, including stall, it fails.
"...If the vehical stalls, this is treated as a failed motion Attempt only."<last sentence of D2.401>
I believe that you are refering to a MA during its own movement phase? If so, you are correct sir! :cheeky:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
LDM said:
Robin, I am sorry but I disagree with you.
No problem, as you seem quite right!:laugh:
... now I must abandon my aim to be pope, as I have revealed myself as faillible! ... and my wife would not allow me, anyway. :smoke:

LDM

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
If you were to become Pope and we were to play a game, would you win by 'devine intervention??? :laugh:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
LDM said:
If you were to become Pope and we were to play a game, would you win by 'devine intervention??? :laugh:
I believe I'd rather ask for humility when I win and for good temper when I loose.:halo: