A long shot but....

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi,

I think this has about 1% chance of a solution but.....

I have about 10 years worth of RB saved from games I have played I was going to look at the
purchases and outcomes situation and see if there was any gems to be found.

The problem is that they were under different configurations mostly pre- 3.2.16.

I have also forgotten whatever password i used at that time and as a result concealed counters
do not show on removal of top.

Is it worth trying to solve this issue somehow or is it already asta la vista??

Sob

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
you can always load older versions of VASL and VASSAL if preferred. The passwords are a different matter. in any event, load them VASL 6.2.1 or higher and do the counter shift thingie that is pre-programmed into VASL and they all should snap back onto the board grid in appropriate places.

As for me, I keep my RG stuff from CGs I am playing on excel spreadsheets. Ease of recall for the same info you are seeking, IMO.

KRL, Jon H

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I, probably not alone, would prefer that there's no resolution or solution to the forgotten password situation. The last thing we need is people figuring out some ability to strip our pregame concealment on our setup. And that's really the consequence of this.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
If you have "allow opponent to unconcealed units" (a super-handy time-saver for PBEM games) you can just unconceal any unit anyway.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you have "allow opponent to unconcealed units" (a super-handy time-saver for PBEM games) you can just unconceal any unit anyway.
agreed, how we play all of our PBEM games. If you're concerned about lost/forgotten passwords, make a saved game of the VASL FTF file after the end of each gaming session with your "Allow opponent to unconceal my units" box checked first. Then if your CPU takes a dump, or you need to reinstall VASL, or whatever- bring up the saved game before your session, and "your" counters (not your opponents counter, unless he has the option on as well), will be able to remove and then replace concealment markers as needed, revealing them again to you only, before your FTF VASL session begins.

Moving forward.

Personally, I do believe there is a workaround where someone "can" get into their own VASL record-keeping files on their HDD (if not deleted), to discover a forgotten password. A deleted set of these files, you are SOL. Which as clubby notes: "...is really the consequence of this...". VASL isn't perfect, but it has made an impression on the hobby, IMO. Some new useful tools re: the ability to use passwords to reveal HIP and concealed stuff would also ease the ability to use VASL for 3 player games, without de-structuring clubby's worries over pre-game revelations. Of course, YMMV.