a little Red Barricades Campaign game question

klsmith

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm playing my first RB CG and we just finished the first scenario, and I'm having a hard time understanding the concepts in "O11.6051 No Man's Land".

It says that hexes outside both perimeters are No Man's Land (clear enough - although I don't know what effect "No Man's Land" has). Then it continues... "as are hexes within both Perimeters that contain no units." I take that to mean, in context, that these are hexes within areas of overlapping Perimeters (that contain no units)?

Then it says "A Strategic Location can never be a No Man's Land Location, as one side will always control it." So every area of overlapping perimeters, will probably have Strategic Locations, since there are buildings and rubble everywhere.

THEN 11.6062 says: Each type A isolated area becomes No Mans Land.

So what if: you got a large area of overlapping perimeters. within the overlap there are a number of Strategic Locations, some of which belong to the Russians, some to the German. There are no units there.

What happens? Does one side always control the Strategic Locations (11.6051) or do these Type A (no unit) isolated areas become No Man's Land (11.6062)?

I would guess it all becomes No Mans Land (logically), but how far does logic usually get you in this game. And where does it say what exactly No Man's Land is? I assume it's a place that no one can set up in, but does it say that anywhere? Is that correct?

Thanks in advance

Ken

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think one side always controls Strategic Locations (if you re-read A26, a Location or building is always controlled; one keeps control even if one doesn't occupy the location anymore, until the opponent gains control). Also, O11.6051 states that "A Strategic Location can never be a No Man's Land Location, as one side will always Control it." No Man's Land hexes are un-controlled, and (I think) thus not eligible for setup in the next scenario.

Pete

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
pryoung said:
if you re-read A26, a Location or building is always controlled; one keeps control even if one doesn't occupy the location anymore, until the opponent gains control
While I agree with the second point, I do not agree with the first. Could you point out the sentence in A26?

pryoung

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, typed too hastily. I meant it always remains controlled once one side has gained control of it. Buildings/Locations within either both or neither sides' setup area are uncontrolled initially, as per A26.11. Once one side takes control of an uncontrolled Location, it will always be controlled thereafter (within that scenario).

Pete

Anonymous

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So are you all saying that the buildings and rubble (in this instance) remain technically in control of whoever has them, but the owner is not allowed to set up in them?

Otherwise, No Man's Land would only refer to non-building/rubble hexes in this case.

Ken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
RB Perimeters

Hello (and Hi Ken!)

I tried posting this to the list, but it still hasn't appeared. This would seem to be the most appropriate place to try for a second time!.....

>>Hello!

When is the o11.6062 transfer of control carried out? If there and then, what effect does this have on the o11.6066 ‘drawing the perimeter’ step and Ammunition Shortage if they are no longer really isolated? Does this mean that one side can control hexes within the other side’s perimeter at scenario end? And if so what effect does this have on setup?

We are currently playing CG IV and I’m playing the Russians. I didn’t bother defending the NE corner of the map and my opponent (Hi Ken!) committed a few squads to investigate the area. This resulted in a patchwork of control markers over the NE corner of the map, a complex (and overlapping) perimeter and one of Ken’s squads left to claim the lot as per o11.6062.

We’ve been trying to follow the rules step-by-step, but I can’t really make sense of it.

Another, hopefully easier, query I have is… What happens to strategic locations that I couldn’t fit in my perimeter? I see they can’t be No-Man’s-Land (o11.6051), does this mean they are still controlled by me, but that, as they aren’t in my perimeter, I can’t set up there?

If any one can help it’d be much appreciated, and I can send a VASL .png file to make it easier!

Thanks

Chris>>

I hope someone can help us out!!

Thanks (again)

Chris