A Little Help With Trying To "Intensive Fire" In The Defensive Final Fire Phase...........

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Means: "I don't think I wrote that list" [EXC. Speaker ≥ 55 y.o. -- "It's completely possible I wrote that list"]
I have written a lot of posts, and although I love them all equally, I don't remember them all. It doesn't look like my style, however.

JR

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whether you wrote them or not, they are very helpful... ASL Annual / Journal kind of helpful so maybe if they have a column to round out these will find a home. I was the IF intending tank in Pat’s initial post, so I had to wait a turn to burn that adjacent half track. A turn he used to have a ROF party and kill some overly exposed infantry.

Dagney

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi gents, forgive me for coming in a bit late on this one, but I can’t see why a unit cannot IF in the Defensive Fire if it starts with no fire counter. ASOP under 4.21D says units not marked with First or Final Fire counters can fire “placing AA/Final/Intensive/No Fire or Gun Flash counters as required”...

If you can’t IF in the DFF phase, why does the ASOP give the option to place an IF counter?

I looked in Perry Sez, but couldn’t find any guidance there.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Hi gents, forgive me for coming in a bit late on this one, but I can’t see why a unit cannot IF in the Defensive Fire if it starts with no fire counter. ASOP under 4.21D says units not marked with First or Final Fire counters can fire “placing AA/Final/Intensive/No Fire or Gun Flash counters as required”...

If you can’t IF in the DFF phase, why does the ASOP give the option to place an IF counter?

I looked in Perry Sez, but couldn’t find any guidance there.
When a unit fires in the DFPh and loses ROF, it is marked with a Final Fire counter [A3.4] regardless of whether it was marked with a First Fire counter at the start of the DFPh or not. It is not marked with a First Fire counter, which might allow it to use Intensive Fire, etc. You will also note that none of the counters listed as being placed on the ASOP is a "First Fire" counter. A unit that is marked with a "Final Fire" counter may not use Intensive Fire unless using OVR Prevention [C5.6].

JR

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
translated from the pictish:

The key is recalling that if you fire in the defensive fire phase and lose ROF you are marked with a final fire counter. Units marked final fire may not intensive fire.

JR
Shouldn't that be "First Fire" ?

Never mind, was thinking MPh, not DFPh.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Shouldn't that be "First Fire" ?

Never mind, was thinking MPh, not DFPh.
That is exactly the difference. During the (enemy) MPh you are marked with a First Fire counter first and only if you fire again are you marked with Final Fire (barring things like cowering). During the DFPh you go directly to Final Fire, do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You can end up placing an intensive fire counter on a gun that fires in the defensive fire phase which is unmarked. If that gun is non turreted and has no Rof, if you change .CA and fire you place an intensive fire counter on it. See C2.5

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The video is great, but isn't she placing an Opportunity Fire marker on a tank?

Dagney

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thanks for the responses. Finally saw the Errata from Journal 7 (and on the MMP website) that clarified the rules for me. Its a bit disapoointing that the latest printed rulebook (the Pocket edition) doesn't include this bit of Errata, given that Journal 7 came out so many years ago.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the responses. Finally saw the Errata from Journal 7 (and on the MMP website) that clarified the rules for me. Its a bit disapoointing that the latest printed rulebook (the Pocket edition) doesn't include this bit of Errata, given that Journal 7 came out so many years ago.
It does in the errata section at the front.