A lifetime of ASL Items

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
My name is Stacy and my father was Ed Caswell. He passed away October of 2020 and I grew up watching him play ASL. It is now my sad task to rehome all of his games, counters, boards. etc. He had multiple copies of items and some are unopened. If anyone is interested, please email me at mbapaws@gmail.com I am not looking to get rich I just can't bring myself to throw his passion for board gaming out. His house is on the market and I need to get items out asap. I will ship them anywhere.

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Stacy,
Sorry to hear about your dad. Would it be possible to post a list of what you have? I think we all appreciate your efforts to ensure his collection goes to good use.

I anticipate one of the moderators will likely move this to the Emporium section.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Considering the situation, just going to make it sticky in the general forum until the sale is finished.

@von Garvin, since you have previous experience with ASL kit sales, would you be so kind as to help Stacy?

Stacy, I suggest you post in the Advanced Squad Leader Facebook group about this sale of your father's games.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My name is Stacy and my father was Ed Caswell. He passed away October of 2020 and I grew up watching him play ASL. It is now my sad task to rehome all of his games, counters, boards. etc. He had multiple copies of items and some are unopened. If anyone is interested, please email me at mbapaws@gmail.com I am not looking to get rich I just can't bring myself to throw his passion for board gaming out. His house is on the market and I need to get items out asap. I will ship them anywhere.
Dear Stacy,

I am sad to hear about your father's passing. Please receive my condolences to you and to Ed's loved ones.
Though I did not know Ed personally, I read his posts here now and then.

It is the custom, that the community commemorates those of us that have passed away. As such, I have posted the sad news in this thread to allow his friends around here to take note.

May he rest in peace.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Deepest sympathy for your loss. It is a loss of a comrade and a brother in arms as it were as far as we're concerned. Ed's presence will be missed by all that have interacted with him whether it be joking over a gaming table or simply corresponding with him here on the forum.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My name is Stacy
Stacy, it is tough to sell these things unless you have a detailed knowledge of what they are - which you do not. I think you have two choices:
  • Sell the lot in one lump. Advertise it as a collection, take some photos and put it up on eBay with an explanation of why you are selling and telling the buyer that your father was a player for decades.
  • Find an ASL player that is close. Did your father have a regular face-to-face opponent? Ask them if they want to sort out the collection, list the items individually on eBay for you, split the proceeds. It is a lot of man hours to sort through a collection - that ASL player will be earning his cash.
Don't throw the stuff away. You will be surprised at how much it can be worth - it mounts up over the years.

I hope that is of some help.

My condolences.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Stacy, it is tough to sell these things unless you have a detailed knowledge of what they are - which you do not. I think you have two choices:
  • Sell the lot in one lump. Advertise it as a collection, take some photos and put it up on eBay with an explanation of why you are selling and telling the buyer that your father was a player for decades.
  • Find an ASL player that is close. Did your father have a regular face-to-face opponent? Ask them if they want to sort out the collection, list the items individually on eBay for you, split the proceeds. It is a lot of man hours to sort through a collection - that ASL player will be earning his cash.
Don't throw the stuff away. You will be surprised at how much it can be worth - it mounts up over the years.

I hope that is of some help.

My condolences.
The only problem with a big eBay bundle is it can take ages to sell. Not that long ago I kept getting alerts for a big collection that seemed to be there for weeks. I wonder if a better approach might to be to approach a big eBay seller (e.g. Noble Knight) directly.

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The only problem with a big eBay bundle is it can take ages to sell. Not that long ago I kept getting alerts for a big collection that seemed to be there for weeks. I wonder if a better approach might to be to approach a big eBay seller (e.g. Noble Knight) directly.
Paul - giving Noble Knight a call is indeed another option for Stacy.

I did not mention it as Second Chance games here in the UK will not touch a collection where the counters are not sorted.

I saw Noble Knight sell a complete collection on eBay. They could not be bothered to sort through it - too many man hours. They put it up for sale in one lump. If Stacy puts it on eBay herself - it cuts out the middle man and gives her more cash. Hopefully the photos will reveal a few gems that will get us all bidding :)

Thaliff

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Country
llUnited States
Stacy, so sorry for your loss, always cherish the life he lived and the memories you made.

If I were you, I would look at his collection, and see what piece sparks a good memory for you, and keep it.

PabloGS

Reaction score
Country
llChile
Sorry for your loss Stacy. Good luck with the effort, may your dad's ASL kit bring enjoyment to other gamers.

I echo what some have said, maybe a local ASL can be kind enough to go through the collection to at least give a short assessment.

The Magnus

Reaction score
First name
Flavius Magnus Maximus Augustus II
Country
llSweden
My name is Stacy and my father was Ed Caswell. He passed away October of 2020 and I grew up watching him play ASL. It is now my sad task to rehome all of his games, counters, boards. etc. He had multiple copies of items and some are unopened. If anyone is interested, please email me at mbapaws@gmail.com
Stacy, sorry for your loss.

Five years ago I returned to the game after a gap of 40 years, and I was lacking “everything”. I was ”lucky enough” to find ”an estate” of ASL stuff in Arkansas via EBay. After agreeing on the price (around $800 if I recall correctly) it turned out the cost for shipment to Sweden would be around the same, so I went to my first tournament in the US, in St. Louis, for that money and picked up the stuff.

Leason - it is probably hard to sell unsorted ASL stuff in bulk, most of us in the mean time have most of what we need. Unopened stuff is different, there could be value there.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Considering the situation, just going to make it sticky in the general forum until the sale is finished.

@von Garvin, since you have previous experience with ASL kit sales, would you be so kind as to help Stacy?

Stacy, I suggest you post in the Advanced Squad Leader Facebook group about this sale of your father's games.
Thanks for the tag, Randy. Sorry for the delay.

I'll see what I can do.

von Garvin

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hi Stacey

I've sold and bought lots of stuff online. I may be able to help you get this stuff moving ASAP.
Email inbound.

David