A leader and a HS with a PSK walk into a K/1

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Say this happens and the result is a K/1 with the HS only getting the CR. Does the leader get a chance to grab the SW before it takes a 1MC (risking break/pin/worse) or can it grab the PSK before taking its 1MC?

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dude .. sounds like we asked the same question. Discussion on Discord suggests that the K/# is "immediate" (although A4.44 also says "immediate" for SW Recovery). No rules cited so far.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Gents, reasoning it thru, we figured as much - but how do you figure the term "immediate" in A4.44 figure into the situation? Please provide rule citation where possible.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Gents - how do you figure the term "immediate" in A4.44 figure into the situation? Please provide rule citation where possible.
Without providing a rules reference, I'd say the most immediate thing of all which is happening are the bullets coming in, which for that reason have to be dealt with first.

Timing is bullets arriving at HS and Leader at the same time, then leader is grabbing.

Timing is not bullets arriving at the HS, then bullets magically stopping short of leader while he's grabbing, then bullets resuming movement for the last meters towards the leader.

At least this is how I picture it in my head. Of course one could say that the bullets are flying a full two minute turn while the HS gets hit and sometime during these 2 minutes the leader might recover the SW. Still, that would lead to the question, how the leader somehow 'magically' contrieves never to be hit before the HS, because we would always have the immediate chance to grab.

Bottom line for me is that the resolution of the attack must come first. I'll leave it to others to find the rules quote. ;)

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Without providing a rules reference, I'd say the most immediate thing of all which is happening are the bullets coming in, which for that reason have to be dealt with first.

Timing is bullets arriving at HS and Leader at the same time, then leader is grabbing.

Timing is not bullets arriving at the HS, then bullets magically stopping short of leader while he's grabbing, then bullets resuming movement for the last meters towards the leader.

At least this is how I picture it in my head. Of course one could say that the bullets are flying a full two minute turn while the HS gets hit and sometime during these 2 minutes the leader might recover the SW. Still, that would lead to the question, how the leader somehow 'magically' contrieves never to be hit before the HS, because we would always have the immediate chance to grab.

Bottom line for me is that the resolution of the attack must come first. I'll leave it to others to find the rules quote. ;)

von Marwitz
Without having ever been in combat, that's how I imagine it too. That is not under dispute.

A4.44 states "... if a unit surrenders, is eliminated, or routs away and cannot carry its SW, an Infantry SMC can immediately Recover one of that Infantry unit's SW/Guns in this same manner but regardless of phase"

I'd like to see how this squares with the situation.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
A similar thread, which comes to the same conclusion, though without rules reference:

But see also this, which seems kind of fuzzy:

As a consequence, I'd just go with my gut feeling and resolve the attack first.

von Marwitz

Last edited: