A film question

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Does anyone here know of any movie about the battle of Kursk during WW2? If so what is the title?

Just wondering since I don't think I've ever seen a war movie about it which is quite surprising given the scale and impact of the conflict to the outcome of the war.

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wolfleader said:
Does anyone here know of any movie about the battle of Kursk during WW2? If so what is the title?

Just wondering since I don't think I've ever seen a war movie about it which is quite surprising given the scale and impact of the conflict to the outcome of the war.
I don't know about that one, would be nice to see if Steve Spleiberg could direct that kind of battle in a movie. I heard he is doing a project on famous Bismarck battleship. It was famous for surviving only 277 days but with just 30 hours of combat, sinking several British warships including HMS Hood. I am real excited by this.

But even so, the gignatic battle of Kursk is much more exciting...

The thing is, I am very curious, was this initiated on part of the Soviet intelligence penetrating the German High Command and setting up the tank trap to destroy the best and most powerful panzer divisions? I've often wondered about that because of its sheer size and uniqueness.

Dan

Wolfleader

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Germany didn't carry out the Kursk offensive due to Soviet intelligence penetrating German high command and setting them up for a massive ambush at Kursk. Hitler wanted to destroy a sizeable Russian force located at Kursk which was bulging into the German lines so he began planning for operation citadel, a massive armoured attack designed to destroy that force.

Unfortunately he kept postponing the attack until the newer tanks like the Tiger, Panther and Elefant could enter production. Because of his delays, the Russian High Command soon learned of the German plans for the region and had ample time to set up an extensive network of defences which was designed to bleed and absorb the German offensive.

Haven't heard of Spielberg doing a bismark movie. Now that I've heard about it though I certainly am looking forward to seeing it when it comes out. :)

Still doesn't compare to seeing a thousand German and Russian tanks duking it out at close quarters at Prokhorovka though. :D

Last edited: